Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cook books

Options
  • 09-06-2023 7:50pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭

A thread for cook books: the good, bad, ugly or otherwise!

Drop a review, a recommendation or post a photo of whatever is on your kitchen shelf.

MODS: Please let me know if posting screenshots of recipe pages of these books could be infringement of copyright, or otherwise not allowed!

My recent two purchases (of which I haven't attempted any recipes yet!):

Paradiso by Denis Cotter, proprietor of the restaurant of the same name; a (fairly high-end) vegetarian restaurant in Cork City. Released just this week!

East by Meera Sodha. Well known for her vegan series in the Guardian.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

This small little book contains very simple and traditional recipes from the Middle East, written by the famous Claudia Roden.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Good one!

Unfortunately screenshots of recipes would be copyright infringement but there’s nothing stopping you rewriting them and publishing that.

Here are some breadcrumb recipes from the Paradiso book. These look really simple but would make for great toppings.

pine nut crumb

makes 1 small jar

50g pine nuts, coarsely chopped 50g breadcrumbs made from day-old bread

2 sprigs of fresh thyme, leaves stripped and finely chopped

10g finely grated hard sheep's cheese (optional)

Heat a heavy-based frying pan on a low heat. Add the pine nuts, breadcrumbs and thyme and toast them slowly, stirring often, until golden and crisp. Remove from the heat and leave to cool, then season with salt and stir in the cheese (if using).

Keeps for days in the fridge and freezes well.

ras el hanout crumb

makes 1 small jar

50g panko breadcrumbs

1 teaspoon ras el hanout (page 201)

Heat a little olive oil in a heavy-based frying pan over a medium heat. Add the breadcrumbs and fry for 5-7 minutes, until golden. Add the spice and a pinch of salt and continue cooking for 1 minute more. Remove from the heat and leave to cool.

Keeps in a dry airtight container for a week

or more.

smoked tomato crumb

We get our smoked sun-dried tomatoes from Olives West Cork.

makes 1 small jar

20g smoked sun-dried tomatoes 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil 100g breadcrumbs, made from day-old bread

Make a paste with the smoked tomatoes using a food processor or a pestle and

mortar.

Heat the oil in a heavy-based frying pan over a medium heat. Add the breadcrumbs and toast until golden brown, tossing and stirring frequently. When crisp, remove the crumbs to a parchment-lined tray to cool.

Preheat the oven to 60°C fan or turn on a dehydrator.

Transfer the crumbs to a bowl and stir in the smoked tomato paste, using your hands to fully combine the two. Season with salt.

Place this mixture back on the parchment-lined tray and put it in the oven or dehydrator to become dry and crisp. This will take 1-2 hours. Allow to cool completely.

Keeps for up to two weeks in a dry airtight container.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

That Paradiso book has so many of those simple, really useful little recipes!

A new one for the shelf: Jamie Oliver - One: Simple One-Pan Wonders.

Published 2022, 212 pages, hardcover, €11.71

This book does use curry pastes, supermarket grain pouches and a whole section on how to use fresh lasagne sheets for quick pasta meals.

I assume this is to make the one pot approach easy and quick for mid-week dinners and the like.

This is a plus for me, but may not be for everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭ablelocks

keep an eye on Amazons daily and monthly kindle book bargain page(s) - there are often cookbooks on sale for less than £1

Food & Drink Category

A bit OT, but how do you organise your online recipes?

I saw on another thread that a poster uses browser bookmarks, which I have done in the past, but I've been using Google Keep for some years now.

It's OK for what it does I think, and the Chrome extension is handy, when it works. The Label function is useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

I use Paprika App, and save recipes from everywhere, I've currently got 682 tried and tested recipes on it, I love that can share recipes quickly by email too, and at a glance can see which website the original recipe came from.

Had never heard of it, going to check that out now, thanks LD!

I use Bring! for my shopping list app on Android, but find it a bit basic.

• Advertisement

I’ve been using ShopShop for years. Nice and simple. If it’s not on the list, it doesn’t get bought. I’d be totally lost without it.

Is that on Apple?

Can't see an Android version.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I've recently started using AnyList on android. Find it good, and it's easy to set up for 2 people to use the same list.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'm old school .. I print them off and keep them in a folder :) Mobile phones/tablets/laptops have no place in a kitchen IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I occasionally buy food magazines, maybe once every few months. But I've done that for years. I went through them all there last year and cut out all the recipes I wanted to keep and made a big scrapbook out of it.

Of course, I did it by category (dinners, breakfasts, lunches, meats, veg etc) and didn't leave space for new entries, because I am a goober.

App wise, I do have paprika but I can't say I make massive use of it, since I do most of my recipe browsing on my computer and it doesn't have a windows version.

Deal of the Day: Kindle Store - 7 baking recipe books €1.16 each

A new one for the kitchen shelf: The Curry Guy Bible by Dan Toombs

Thanks @Iguarantee for the recommendation!

How different is it from "The Curry Guy" ?

hmm? It is The Curry Guy (Dan Toombs). This book is called The Curry Guy Bible.

• Advertisement

Aye, I know... hence I'm wondering how different it is from the/his other book called "The Curry Guy" ?

Ah, I don't know. This is the only book by him I have. 👍

The Bible is newer and contains more recipes, but I suspect it might repeat some from that book.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Iguarantee

Enjoy the book. Lots of options and a lot to learn!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

The BBQ Bible by Steven Raichlen is epic.

Book cover looks like it was designed by a four year old blind kid, dreadful cover, awful artwork, bad pictures, manky font, chef looks like a weirdo. But the recipes are amazing.

Advertisement