Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

can gosafe vans be placed anywhere now ?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,891 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Its the speed limiter that adjusts in real time to the current road speed limit that I am referring to.

E.g. going from 60 to a 50 road it lowers speed accordingly. The majority will maintain a speed over 50 and hence get caught by a gosafe van (going back on topic)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that speed limiter has been mandatory on all new cars sold in the EU since july, and mandatory on all new car models which were introduced after july 2023.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,721 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Cruise Control is a good alternative, just set it to the speed limit and relax, well on motorways at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Nonsense. You literally said its max speeds that causes accidents it's not.

Now your saying speed limits, entirely different thing. But also again not core cause of accidents.

Statistically cars are safer than ever, but distractions are now more prolific.

Have you considered banning smart phones and anything in the car that distracts the driver?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭vrusinov

Maybe the speed limiter works well on some cars, but mine is very, very often wrong, e.g. thinking it's 30 on the motorway - either because it has wrong map, or I think sometimes it would pick up the speed limit from the slip road.

So I had to disable it - thankfully EU did not mandate it being on permanently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

What's quite shocking is that handsfree calling - fully legal - has about the same accident rate as the driver being on the old 80mg drink driving limit (replaced by 50mg in 2011)

It is much safer to be a bit over the new 50mg limit than handsfree calling. But it gets you an instant driving ban if caught

And of course texting with the phone in your hand while driving is more dangerous than being twice over the current drink driving limit, yet many people do it and almost nobody ever gets caught let alone fined over it

Perhaps there should be more Gardai on the road focussing on this. Strict enforcement and serious fines. Rather than the catching fish in a barrel fining perfectly safe motorists doing 140km/h on an empty motorway. But hey that is harder work, so it will never happen…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭bladespin

This could be changing: they've a new

at their disposal lol, police in the UK have been using trucks elevated vantage point to nab molibe phone users for years now, our lot are typically a few years behind the times.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'll see if i can find a link, but apparently research shows that having a conversation with a passenger is safer than making a handsfree call - which i found counterintuitive, but one theory is that a passenger is a second pair of eyes for a distracted driver.

in general, that should suggest that a having someone in the passenger seat means a collision is less likely, but i don't know if any research backs that up.

the gardai are doing this now.

https://www.thejournal.ie/gardai-in-unmarked-truck-to-police-irish-motorways-in-new-tactic-to-catch-distracted-drivers-6489118-Sep2024/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭bladespin

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

Yeah I've seen the truck introduced. Good idea. If only to catch truck drivers using mobile phones, which seems ubiquitous.

Mind this is Ireland, must be the lowest presence of police on the road / enforcement in the entire EU

A funded garda bike unit would pick up hundreds of people every few hours.

I can't travel 20 meters without a car left or right whatsapping

Most people don't do it to do evil, it's just a bad habit that is not punished. The roads would be a lot safer if it was strictly enforced with on the spot fines of say €200-300 (forget about penalty points) and a seriously high chance of getting caught

I think you're a bit lost buddy. I wasn't talking about accidents it's was talking about the addition of a "smart limiter" to automatically adjust speed without the driver needing to worry if they missed a 50 sign after coming off a 60 road in order to avoid getting caught by a Go Safe van.

When you said "It isn't max speeds that cause accidents ....." I thought that was a bizarre response 😀

You'd still be wrong though. That's my entire point.

• Advertisement

Lol 😆 ok tell that to Ford then for adding a dynamic limiter

Advertisement