Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Four children found alive in Amazon after 40 days

Options
  • 10-06-2023 8:52pm
    Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Let's celebrate some good news

The kids were aged 13, 9, 4 and 1

The pressure the older two must have been under must have been incredible, looking after the two younger ones as well as themselves

Obviously they have lost their mother, and there is an underlying tragedy, but the fact these kids managed to survive 40 days in the Amazon is incredible

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86,251 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Thank God, found safe and alive

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭francois

Amazing story of fortitude and bravery.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,279 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Heart warming stuff. Happ happy ending. Thank god.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Heroic stuff from that 13 year old and 9 year old......unbelieveable inner strength and fortitude to survive after suffering such a loss........incredible story that Hollywood will probably try to make money out of.....

I wish all those kids a happy and healthy life...hopefully they get all the support they need....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Amazing story! Some responsibility on the older kids there. Well done to them. And a one year old infant!

I somehow hope that they found it exciting in some way; it will be a crazy memory for them growing up.

EDIT: Oh no... I've just read that the children's mother died in the plane crash. That puts a different perspective on the story. I hadn't even realised they were siblings 😫

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Amazing story. Brave kids. Delighted for them and their relatives. Fair play to them, must have been very tough. I wish them a swift recuperation.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

Even knowing some of what they could eat etc in the jungle going by the article, they were extremely lucky. Hope they all get the all clear from the hospital and can go to their grandparents soon.

I can buy a 13 year old fending for himself for 40 days on berries and whatnot but caring for a 1 year old baby... unlikely.

Something fishy about it. It's Colombia, what's the first thing you think of. The father looks very suspect. It was announced on May 17 that they were found, then retracted. I don't know what went down but it was something other than the official story.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Galaxy00

• Registered Users Posts: 20,430 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

They were indigenous to the area. Knew how to live and forage in the forest.

Still, incredible feat of survival, particularly with a three and one year old.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

"When we played, we set up like little camps," she recalled. Thirteen-year-old Lesly, she added, "knew what fruits she can't eat because there are many poisonous fruits in the forest. And she knew how to take care of a baby".

If it was reported they had been found previously that could be because they are indigenous and it may have been a case of other children that were initially assumed to be them that were simply doing what kids brought up in the jungle do

I think there can be little doubt this is genuine. There are plenty out there who would have called it out if not

Their father was the governor of Puerto Sábalo, he fled the town suddenly (without family) due to threats against his life. The family were in a plane to meet up with him some weeks later. He looks more like Scarface than a governor or "indigenous" tribesman.

The 11 month old baby is what makes me most skeptical. Whatever about the older kids caring for themselves, that's plausible. But caring for a baby for 6 weeks in the jungle - keeping them sanitary, fed, hydrated, avoiding water-borne illness etc. A bout of diarrhoea from bad water or poor sanitation would kill that baby in a few days without medical help.

Most likely they stumbled into an area with drug growers and were cared for. It took several weeks to negotiate their release because the authorities wanted to get credit for "finding" them, and the drug growers wanted their base kept secret.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,502 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Colombia is no joke, jungle wise. Migrant caravans wind up going through but 40 days no human contact that is insane, unimaginable.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,808 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I have been following this story since the plane crash. Delighted they were found alive. There's a film in this for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭WheelieKing

I can smell the Netflix 6 part mini series already.

Advertisement