Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reducing the humming noise from an ESB transformer box?

Options
  • 12-06-2023 8:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if there's a way to do this? There's one at the rear of my garden (on the street to the side), it's always been there in the 20+ years I've lived in the house, but I swear it's gotten louder in recent years. Never mind in the garden, I can hear it in my upstairs bedroom at night, even with the window closed. In this weather it's worse when leaving the window open.

There are various suggestions online about increasing the soundproofing, or even doing some maintenance on the transformer itself. Does anyone know if ESB will do this? I don't really want to ring the fault / emergency number as it is neither, but it would be good to know who to approach with a request so see if they would do anything or even take a look at it.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Persist with ESB networks, log a fault in the first instance. Be prepared to follow up with the local office. You may get a favourable outcome if you stick at it.

Don’t play it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

The noise will be a factor of the load on the transformer as well. As consumption has generally increased over the past 20 years so will the noise from the transformer.

Advertisement