Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Ashes 2023

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭MFPM

Ridiculous by Smith, they're on the verge of putting the game beyond England and he gives his wicket away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Australia will look to get a 400 plus lead before declaring

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Drifter100

I reckon they will declare at tea with a lead of 400 plus but they need these 2 and Carey to bat well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Australia probably have enough let’s be honest. Scoring looks very difficult with these tactics. Not the most enjoyable cricket to watch is it. Alright in small spells but short all the time gets tedious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,330 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

head gone for 7. lead of 288. they'd want to be careful they dont **** this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,214 ✭✭✭Xander10

mightn't reach either they way they played this morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

It's like watching that one trick pony Neil Wagner, absolutely terrible to watch, if the laws are 2 short balls per over how is Wagner bowling 8 over spells of 48 short balls? Always wondered about that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,947 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The sooner umpires are replaced altogether by technology the better. The current crop are abysmal.

Robinson bowled a delivery an over or two ago that went over the batsman’s head by about two to three feet. Batsman never adjusted his stance just stood in his batting stance..

No call on the field. It’s really detracting from the enjoyment. How can a square leg umpire not see a delivery go over a batsman’s head, how is that possible ?

England just continuing to bang it in short of a length. Almost like the captain doesn’t believe in his bowlers to make things happen conventionally …

Speaking of umpires… fourth umpire sitting by the boundary, beside two of the Australian coaching staff, having a conversation, one of the Aussies getting quite animated about something… any chance they’d be told to leave…. . ? Not good optics.

what was the overnight lead? cos this is shocking boring

Brainless shot by Green, game was going no where but your team is in the dominant position. Probably 50 runs from virtually guaranteeing victory and you take on a stupid shot and give away your wicket!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Green finally takes one on and succumbs. Wonder what the umpires will do as this is just going to continue for the rest of the series.

14 overs after lunch with just 18 runs.

fecking carey gone now to short leg. right into the trap he falls

348 the lead with 3 wickets left.

England are donald ducked… The highest successful run chase at Lord's is 344, achieved 39 years ago by the West Indies….

Stokes with a wicket off a big no ball, all going tits up for England….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Are there no wides in test cricket?

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

bazball is a load of nonsense. i thought stokes et al want to entertain us. i hope they press him on this in interview

Jesus, Lyon hobbling on to the field …. He won’t be around long by the looks of him.

Lyon is fûcked and Stokes bowled him first a ball that he can play standing up and play off the back foot..

Starc is on the field ten minutes and has trainers come on for five minutes to adjust his helmet… umpires predictably do nada ➡️

Crowd getting pissed off, nothing pitched up, useless half trackers, Australian balcony laughing at some of the bowling…. Tail enders, their number 8 hitting the England front line quicks for sixes now… now injured one legged Lyon hitting a four….. pitch it up ! Atherton agrees. This is brainless…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,174 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

371 to win, at least they'll go for it.

This looks like it might be a series too far for Jimmy Anderson. If it was anyone else surely his place in the side for the third test would be under threat, and if he plays and doesn't take wickets again surely it'll be under threat anyway.

thing with Anderson and England is this captain and management have shown very few signs of being able to make tough or even sensible decisions regarding selection and tactics.

Anderson has bowled 39 overs in this test, taken 2 wickets.

Anderson in the first test, took 1 wicket.

Awful by Crawley…. Gone for 3. That delivery should have been headed towards long leg…. A nothing delivery.

a poor umpiring decision almost does for Duckett … given out but the review saves him. Never looked out in real time…

brilliant delivery by Starc… Pope nowhere good enough for that but he got a beauty to be fair…. England in trouble already… Australia extracting lots of swing.

• Advertisement

england 13/2 after 4 overs.

Crawley will be better off focusing on his batting than talking nonsense about 150 run victories at Lords!

Pope gone now! England need to steady the ship...

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Drifter100

Thats not a good look. Similiar to Ronan O Gara talking to the ref at half time in the Cup Final

Crawley gone and Duckett almost followed. Umpiring is not good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

All out for under 100 I'd say.

If you swing at everything, these seamers will get you on this pitch.

Easy work.

Awful shot by Root. Don’t know what he was expecting playing at that, was going by his head not at it. replay does Root no favours, shot of a tail ender if we are being honest.

Brook gone now. Good delivery but Brook never behind it… great delivery but poor shot again.

its finished.

Root gone now...England in big trouble. Stating the obvious that someone needs to go big!

Brook gone now...England imploding!

Pity as I thought tomorrow might be another interesting day 5, but it could be over before lunch.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Advertisement

stokes with a very lucky get off there

Stokes is definitely hobbling when running. Definitely compromised by the injury.

can we get the commentators and director to stop plugging the women’s ashes… I’ve turned on the men’s Ashes because I want to watch that. Mentioned or plugged via a graphic every few overs…

Duckett gone. Very poor shot.. was ab… NOT OUT the drama 😂😂😂🤯

that looks harsh on Australia. Surly he had control of that, just momentum took him down… actually more replays that’s another BS umpiring decision.

if they overturn that catch its a ridiculous decision

Starc was too casual. Ball clearly on the ground before it was fully completed. Lucky boy Duckett as they usually hide behind fingers under the ball excuse

It did look like the ball was scraped along the ground and that's why it was given not out but a hugely contentious decision.

Can't help but think that wouldn't have been an issue only for the furore over the Green catch in the World Test final against India.

Anyway, Australia are well on top and their bowlers are just too good for this England side and should win comfortably enough tomorrow, you would think.

Either way about 499 times out of 500 that given as a fair catch.

33.2.2 Furthermore, a catch will be fair if any of the following conditions applies: 

33.2.2.1 the ball is held in the hand or hands of a fielder, even if the hand holding the ball is touching the ground, or is hugged to the body, or lodges in the external protective equipment worn by a fielder, or lodges accidentally in a fielder’s clothing. 

law is a little ambiguous in its wording in certain aspects but…I’m struggling to see why it was given not out.

33.3 Making a catch

The act of making a catch shall start from the time when the ball first comes into contact with a fielder’s person and shall end when a fielder obtains complete control over both the ball and his/her own movement.

Complete control over his / her own movements maybe the anomaly. But if Starc is deemed not to be in control because he dived… wtf ? You’d be outlawing a lot of catches.

• Advertisement

So England for going exclusively short got Australia 8 for 120. It was god awful viewing but look how effective. That’s after Australia’s success the day before. Hopefully it’s a reflection on this particular pitch and not the direction the rest of the series is heading.

I was never so bored by a days play of live Ashes cricket …it was horrendous viewing… “ we”ll do this until you make a mistake “… there were mistakes a plenty, a lot by the batsmen and shïtloads by the English bowlers…36 extras of which 14 were byes.

Duckett & Stokes really need to put on another 130 as only recognised batsman now is Bairstow…

50 for Stokes. Fair play, I didn't think he still had it in him. I don't think they've any hope of getting 371 though.

Different rules today it seems for bouncers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,214 ✭✭✭Xander10

Bairstow..oh dear!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

That will quicken the finishing time, as the rest of the batting line up is a parade of rabbits

Dumb by Jonny but brilliant by Carey. The type of thing that would drive the Aussies crazy though. Looks a bit off when it happens.

Similar thing happened with Ireland the other day against the UAE. Dozy from Bairstow.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

The problem with England though is they are the side that likes to do such things themselves, but if it happens to them they scream blue murder.

All countries are the same when it comes to borderline situations like that. See Australia yesterday evening, Glenn McGrath lost his head over the Starc catch. Bet he loving that now

If you told me that happened to one of the England batsmen I'd have guessed it would be Bairstow. Fairly dumb from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

Gas , yesterday "rules are rules" but today Aussies are cheats.

stokes on the charge here. 4 6 6 6

Stokes is something else. Doubt he can do it again but it’s an incredible effort again

• Advertisement
Advertisement