Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best value for 13 year old with first phone

Options
  • 12-06-2023 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Im on vodafone with a sim only monthly bill. My son has got his first phone at 13 (Iphone 8) and im looking to see what the best option for him will be. Vodafone have quoted me 25-30euro p/moth but that seems very expensive. He be using it predominantly for internet access and whatsapp to connect with his mates. What advice do we all have ? cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I found the Tesco family option €15/month great for the kids phones as it just goes onto my bill but that only really makes sense if you were already with them.

https://gomo.ie/ or another similar might be handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭sekond

With my teen I just keep it as pay as you go. Most of the providers tend to have a "top up by X amount, get unlimited data" which is what they really want.

Teen 1 is PAYG on Three, which is same network as me, so also gets free texts/calls to me. 20 euro gets her 28 days of unlimited data, and then, depending on what's going on, the 20 euro probably lasts up to a week.

Teen 2 doesn't have a phone yet, but we have a spare that we lend her on occasion - Tesco mobile - 15 euro top up every now and then which also gives unlimited data for a month.

There are family plans which might work out better in the long run, but it my case would have meant getting rid of a really excellent legacy plan I'm on, so I go this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭hopeless wanderor

I am using 48, works great. 12.99/month lifetime, has not given me any issues. There is a offer currently where you get first 3 months for 6.5 and 12.99 after. They use the same network as 3. Can order online, receive it in 2 days. Pay as you go , no commitment. best part is you can control your next renewal date.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

VF are taking the p!ss with that suggestion of 25 p/m.

For that sort of usage (messaging & browsing) VF PAYG €5/5GB/28 days is probably the best value.

https://n.vodafone.ie/shop/pay-as-you-go-plans/add-ons.html

Post edited by Ten Pin on

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭rhinosaurious

I can recommend. 48 is your best bet, If you can't get your hands on 48 then I'd go for Tesco Mobile or 3 prepay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 fudgequeen

keep away from 48 they stole 30 euro from my credit card , 2 months later still not returned it, also does not work abroad or uk, friend an i tried 48 instructions on how to work abroad numerous times and does not work,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Try Lycamobile.

€10 (half price from €20) for 5G data, calls and texts. Uses Three network.

Trying it here myself in my secondary phone and working well.

I bought the 12 month bundle for just over €100 so no worries about topping up or (failed) auto payments.

WiFi tethering has worked fine so far, I've successfully connected another phone and a laptop.

Advertisement