Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three 5g ext. antennae broadband with own router. Is it possible?

Options
  • 12-06-2023 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hiya,

Is anyone on their external antenna(3Broadband Unlimited 5G Gold) plan? Can I replace their router(ZTE WiFi6 Router T3000) with my switch(manage DHCP etc) and use my wall-mounted WiFi access points?

If you have done similar could you share your experience? It's been a while since I used smart switches and unsure if I can just buy something like that and then hook a few wifi APs like that and be a happy camper and don't worry any more switching providers and then deal with changing SSIDs, IPs etc. I'd like to make my local network independent and yet don't want to create added hassle if something goes wrong. I know providers aren't particularly fond of when customers use their own network gear.

It would also be great to see the gear you used.

Thank you

Alex

Post edited by alex_r on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Eleusis

I have had an external antenna with 3 for years. No I have starlink which is way better. I have zero bar signal inside and outside at ground level but nearly full 4g signal with antenna on roof. I didn't use their antenna plan. I just bought my own. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Poynting-XPOL-2-5G-Antenna/dp/B081QCWTZX/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=22XF3S2NS3L8W&keywords=Poynting+XPOL-2-5G+Antenna&qid=1686592569&sprefix=poynting+xpol-2-5g+antenna%2Caps%2C231&sr=8-3

I had a huawei B525 and then a draytek. Now there are many (less dated) options available.

You can replace their router but it would need to be with a router that is for LTE. It needs a sim card to work.

You can prob just put their router in to bridge mode and use your own router.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭alex_r

I just realised Three new setup is slightly different. They actually use two routers. One ZTE MC7010 that they hang outside. It's the actual 5g router that connects to Three network. Then inside they install a regular router with WiFi antennas (ZTE WiFi6 Router T3000). To avoid double NAT they put the outside router in the bridge mode and the inside router then manages all DHCP and WiFi.

Which makes me think I should be able to connect any third-party routers/switches I want. Provided they don't lock in by MAC or some other obscure settings. However, from your words, I can see it shouldn't be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭alex_r

Here is the outside unit if anyone is curious.

What’s interesting and also shocking at the same time they put all the longing details on the unit.

There is not much you can do when you log in without messing up the connection between the inside router. But still, a bit dodge id say.

Advertisement