Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2023-24 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

2 games a night would be pretty perfect if MUFC and Liverpool were involved, or one of the Scots had sneaked in.

It's just an extreme year with only 2 English teams, one of whom has minimal support here. It's been a fine enough schedule for the ~10 years they've been doing it as there's generally been one game of interest each night.

With the expanded structure next year they are going back to 4 games a night in this round, so won't be an issue again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

As an Arsenal fan I think its great !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Can't say I've watched him every week but for me Upamecano never looks very impressive. Seems prone to serious errors fairly often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

i missed the red but not entirely surprised. he was shocking against city last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Who’s the kid sitting beside Luis Enrique?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Bayern can't buy a shot on target these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Round of 16 1st Legs

Tuesday 20th February

FC Internazionale Milano (ITA) V Club Atlético de Madrid (ESP) - Live on TNT Sports 1 / RTE 2

PSV Eindhoven (NED) V Borussia Dortmund (GER) - Live on TNT Sports 2

Wednesday 21st February

FC Porto (PRO) V Arsenal FC (ENG) - Live on TNT Sports 1 / Virgin Media Two

SSC Napoli (ITA) V FC Barcelona (ESP) - Live on TNT Sports 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Tuchel surely has to be on borrowed time. He has ruined Bayern.

1 shot on target in 2 games. That's not like them. There's something not right (but Jose ain't the answer).

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Bluebb993

That's right. He was at fault for nearly every goal against city last year. Haaland dominated him.

Champions League only ever got exciting in the last 8 when it's an open draw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

It's a weird one, with Leverkusen really showing them up in having one of the best ever Bundesliga seasons. But in comparison to last year for instance, Bayern have 10 more points now than they did then, which is a pretty significant improvement. In terms of numbers they're actually doing well - but it just doesn't look right. They don't look as dangerous as they did in the past... seems like Kane is blowing away the fodder, but when they face better teams that's just not enough. Better teams can mark someone out of the game, and without Kane it seems they've no threat at all.

He's def in trouble though.

Round of 16 1st Leg Results

FC Copenhagen (DEN) 1 V 3 Manchester City FC (ENG)

RB Leipzig (GER) 0 V 1 Real Madrid CF (ESP)

Paris Saint-Germain (FRA) 2 V 0 Real Sociedad de Fútbol (ESP)

S.S. Lazio (ITA) 1 V 0 FC Bayern München (GER)

FC Internazionale Milano (ITA) 1 V 0 Club Atlético de Madrid (ESP)

PSV Eindhoven (NED) 1 V 1 Borussia Dortmund (GER)

FC Porto (PRO) 1 V 0 Arsenal FC (ENG)

SSC Napoli (ITA) 1 V 1 FC Barcelona (ESP)

Overall, an uninspiring round of matches. Not much excitement to be had.

Let's hope the return legs throw up some shocks or great games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

As bad a round of Champions league that I can remember seeing. The winter break has kind of broken the buzz for CL, a lot of poor games. Return legs should hopefully provide a bit of excitement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The fact it's over four weeks doesn't help either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,183 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

The removal of the away goals rule also not helping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

Was saying this in work last night, wish they would bring it back, it enticed away teams to be more open thus better games.

Next season will put an end to that, here is the fixture dates, only really a break over Christmas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I think Arsenal will have more than enough to qualify in the second leg, but Arteta's home record in European knockouts is bad. In 5 KO games at the Emirates they've drawn 3 and lost 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Yeah it's been poor alright, even the actual matches ignoring the pre match interest levels have been unentertaining. Last night's matches were awful.

Round of 16 2nd Legs

Tuesday 5th March

FC Bayern München (GER) V S.S. Lazio (ITA) - (Agg 0-1) - Live on TNT Sports 1 / RTE Two

Real Sociedad de Fútbol (ESP) V Paris Saint-Germain (FRA) - (Agg 0-2) - Live on TNT Sports 1 

Wednesday 6th March

Manchester City FC (ENG) V FC Copenhagen (DEN) - (Agg 3-1) - Live on TNT Sports 1 / Virgin Media Two

Real Madrid CF (ESP) V RB Leipzig (GER) - (Agg 1-0) - Live on TNT Sports 1 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

That Bayern - Lazio one is the one to watch for sure.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

To be honest that's even worse. there's too much football and there will always be until they can find a way to strip it back a bit and maintain the income

Glad to see Bayern progress last night, as Lazio offered little.

They seemed to be a bit more cohesive last night, a bit like themselves again after some shockingly poor performances.

Musiala a joy to watch at times. Such a gifted player. Apparently refusing to sign a contract as he wants to play in the EPL, would be a massive loss.

Psg through with not much fuss against Sociedad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

I think the problem this Bayern side will have is that they seem to really buckle when faced with quality opposition. I saw a point made online that their underlying league performances aren't significantly different to previous years - but Bayer Leverkusen have been so impressive that it has made them look very poor, and then significantly underperforming in the big games.

Had a quick look at the odds

City - 7/4

Madrid 11/2

Bayern 11/2

Arsenal 6/1

Inter 17/2

PSG 10/1

Wouldn't have had them joint second favorites but it looks like the gap to City is so big that it is kind of academic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭crossman47

Lazio offered little but the display of the keeper showed how daft it is to pick one based on ability with the ball at his feet. Yes he was excellent in that regard but bad in his primary duty of keeping the ball out of the net. Both Kane goals were down to him.

Agree, keeper was poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Last night's games have extended the seasons for both Thomas Tuchel and Kylan Mbappe anyway.

At the prices above I'd like Real Madrid and Inter Milan. No one else will be able to challenge the current champions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,085 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Depending on if they draw each other, Arsenal might push Man City. They are hitting form at the right time, and if results go a certain way in the league games, it might be their best (and only) route to a trophy this season. Arsenal need a trophy from their efforts from this season and last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

Could make for some fascinating sub plots along the way if Arsenal did draw City in Champions League and Liverpool drew City in FA Cup

I hate the irish tv habit of showing epl teams in the CL, no matter what.

Terrible choice tonight. City game over from 1st leg, and 2 up instead 10min with a weakened team. Yet over in Madrid, Liepzig could have had 2 goals already.

I could understand Liverpool or Man Utd, but are their many City fans in Ireland?

• Advertisement

I agree with you.

The truth is when it comes to mainstream soccer interest in Ireland, it is basically is England or Celtic in all but name.

It used to annoy me years ago when the likes of Shaktar Donetsk (when they were full of Brazilians and great to watch) were not shown unless they progressed far in a tournament or played an English side

Or when Utd were on against a bucket side and won 6 nil, whilst the likes of Madrid and Milan played out a great game the same night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭Acosta

I don't think there's many City fans outside of Stockport, mate.

The Real V RB game is pretty good too

At least its delicately balanced.

City game was over a fortnight ago.

Round of 16 2nd Legs

Tuesday 12th March

Arsenal FC (ENG) V FC Porto (PRO) - (Agg 0-1) - Live on TNT Sports 1 / RTE Two

FC Barcelona (ESP) V SSC Napoli (ITA) - (Agg 1-1) - Live on TNT Sports 2

Wednesday 13th March

Borussia Dortmund (GER) V PSV Eindhoven (NED) - (Agg 1-1) - Live on TNT Sports 2

Club Atlético de Madrid (ESP) V FC Internazionale Milano (ITA) - (Agg 0-1) - Live on TNT Sports 1 / Virgin Media Two

Post edited by citytillidie on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Would be interesting to see the TV figures for that game. Especially after the 10th minute

Can't imagine too many hung around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Anyone bored by the CL this year?

I'm a Liverpool fan, so I'm aware I'll be biased seen as my team isn't in it, but is it a fair shout to say it's not the most exciting? Are elite teams just becoming too elite? Has jeopardy largely, realistically disappeared for those clubs until at least the quarters?

I don’t support any team in the CL. But I find myself half watching games. The only ones I would seriously watch is when there could be a chance of an upset. Or a big side knocked out. When a top side has a low seeding tough group- Newcastle’s for example

From the QF on I will definitely pay more attention. But let’s be honest the days of the likes of Porto, Ajax or Steaua having a chance of winning the CL are long gone.

The English teams will likely dominate for the foreseeable future broadcasting rights, and wealthy overseas owners.

After that what have you got the top two Spanish sides, Bayern and PSG. Very hard for anyone else to get a look in. The way the competition is structured and the way places are allocated (lots of teams from the big leagues and seeded) it is a “super league” in all but name.

You are right in that the ‘fun’ only starts for neutrals at the QF really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,085 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I think the fact that this knockout round is spread out over 4 weeks has really hampered the interest.

Also, the competition isn't as strong this year, it does seem like a poor season in terms of quality of the CL. Bayern, Barcelona, Dortmund, Napoli & Atletico Madid having off-seasons and all are currently behind an unlikely club in their domestic leagues. Man Utd, Milan knocked out in the group stage, and then others such as Juventus, who are traditionally a CL staple are not European football at all this season.

This season also sees a few clubs who had their first entry into the CL in a long time - Newcastle, Lazio, Union Berlin, Real Socidead. it's great to have new clubs enter the competition but all of these clubs are already eliminated, with a couple eliminated at the first hurdle. Most of these are having poorer seasons this season than last season.

The teams currently in top position of England & Germany did not qualify for the CL at all and are in the EL instead. The current Portugal leader also dropped down to EL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

Agree with all that and would add that the Round of 16 draw was poor from a one off perspective - all the remaining giants handed relatively kind draws and no 'easy' route for one of the new teams mentioned to get themselves through to the next stage.

No away goal also suits the bigger teams more as it stops the smaller teams springing a surprise.

Next week should hopefully be more interesting with all four ties up for grabs and two level on aggregate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Some of the most interesting games in previous years have come in the ROF16 though.

It's just a down year - it doesn't really feel like there is a serious underdog challenger.

Real Madrid are going well but it's clear their side is in a transition phase. Barca are a basket case. Bayern aren't at their best, will be in transition again. PSG have lost their star power so might end up a better team but they are drawing less attention. Napoli has fallen off this season after being brilliant last year.

Arsenal might actually be coming into form at the right time. Inter doing well - look a handy side.

You are looking at the competition and thinking who is realistically better than City and it's hard to pick a decent challenger. It would become instantly more interesting if City got knocked out. Otherwise, it just looks like being them again.

I think from next season there will be a lot more rounds of games that feel like this with the new format.

I wouldn't have said the Madrid Leipzig game last night was a formality. Far from it.

If the old away goal rule was still in place, Madrid would have been very nervous in the last 10min.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Stewball

I've just sat through the opening 30 minutes of BT/TNT Sports Champions League coverage and it's awful.

I usually don't watch pre match coverage, but I never realised just how bad they are.

I very rarely watch more than 5 minutes of a build up to any match, no real point, especially considering the sheer number of games I watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭bingobango12

It’s tough work. Think Crouch, Joe Cole and Jermaine Jenas are alright on the early Saturday games but every other pundit they have is dreadful.

Ferdinand, Keown, Owen, Hargreaves, Scholes, Hoddle, McManaman, Lescott are either clueless or would put you to sleep. Some of them both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Good atmosphere in London

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Porto are like Athletico, hope Arsenal finish them off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

2 very cynical, nasty sides. Arsenal as guilty of cynical play as anyone nowadays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Rooting for Arsenal in this one, and Napoli - since I don't have to worry about my team drawing them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Oof, I really struggle with Joe Cole... find the fella can barely string a cohesive sentence together, never mind actually say anything insightful.

• Advertisement
Advertisement