Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2023-24 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

brilliant night of champs league. Pity both not on at different times. Some great goals in the Madrid City game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Poor lad had to push the buttons on the remote away from channel no 2 as well.... Imagine!

TNT are shocking, thought is was watching Arsenal TV in the after game. Pushing the agenda thay Saka was fouled and had a definite penalty late on, when he had Neuer beaten if he didn't purposely kick him to simulate a foul and look for a penalty. RTE news with their bad sound out of time was better.

There is a obvious agenda to lisj women's sport, buy that's not a bad thing. Women and girls have a lot to benefit from participation in sport, and the old 'of they can't see it the can't be it' has some truth. If you don't want to watch it, use the remote.

I do agree on one point, technically RTE News is not really suitable for live sport nowadays, but if you think that's bad, wait until you're trying to watch Virgin tomorrow night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

The referees were brilliant in both ties from what I could tell.

After watching the whole thing, the City/Real referee fell for none of the nonsense from either side, and from the highlights of the Ars/Bayern game, he got every big decision right anyway.

Nice to have strong referees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

Yeah think the referee got the Saka peno decision correct. Sure Neuers leg moves but really he doesn’t impede Saka who could have gone around but instead seems to look for contact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

But…but...but how can you say that? Why would they do that? The BBC(ITV have lost their rights from next season) that barely clung onto their men's FA Cup live coverage, through a sublet deal.

But hey ho, the BBC show live women's super league, probably because its rights are substantially cheaper. Now they just have to try and brainwash people into thinking it's interesting. The league that has teams like Man United, a club founded in 1878, but only established a women's football team in 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,085 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

The Saka one could have gone either way tbh. Can see both arguments. Usually benefit goes with the attacker.

Surprised there isn't more being made of the handball by Gabriel picking the ball up from a goal kick. Apparently the referee said it was a child's mistake so couldn't give a penalty for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,587 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

It was a mix up and Bayern weren’t in any position to score.

Let’s be honest Gabriel never picks it up if he thinks it would lead to a penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,660 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I dont know. The Bayern ref had a few funny ones.

The Kane elbow was definitely questionable, but moreso a thing they're discussing over on Kicker.de.

At some point Bayern players were arguing with the ref over something and I had no idea what the problem was. Neither did the commentators apparently. There was no obvious foul or something.

It was that Raya had placed the ball on the ground for a goal kick. Next the ref blew the whistle for the goal kick and then Raya passed it over to Gabriel. Who then picked up the ball in his hands and placed it again and this time took the goal kick himself (passing it back to Raya).

When the Bayern players challenged the ref over this clear handball they were quoted saying the ref answered - 'Its a kids mistake, I'm not giving a pen for that in a CL quarter final'.

“The referee made a huge mistake,” said Tuchel.

“I know it was a crazy situation. They put the ball down, he whistles and the defender takes the ball with his hands.

“What makes us really angry is the explanation on the pitch. He told our players it was a ‘kid’s mistake’ and he won’t give a penalty for that in a Champions League quarter-final.

I mean yes it is and it would be tough, but I would have thought at the highest level is exactly where you have to give this.

There's no way Gabriel could have missed the whistle. He was either absent or was thinking 'ah grand whatever who cares'. It wasnt a 'mix up' it was a stupid mistake and a clear foul. Foul throw-ins are a kids mistake too, where do you draw the line?

I get the ref. Apparently his first ever CL game. Anyone's guess why a ref's first ever CL game has to be a quarter final but anyhow… So he either was afraid or it was a velvety genius touch of refereeing on his day 1.

I think in the spirit of the game the ref did the right thing. But if refereeing was about the spirit of the game rather than the written rules a lot of decisions would go differently. The last few seasons especially handball decisions were many many times not in the spirit of the game.

So I say mistake. But I would be biased ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

The thing about it though, because they lost, just like when the women's rugby lose in the six nations, it'll be swept under the carpet and there'll be no further post-game breakdown or criticism. It doesn't dominate the airwaves like it think it does- will be a fleeting mention of it on the news (and probably ahead of the CL results in the running order).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I think it was his first knock out CL game as opposed to first ever. Whoscored have him down for 5 total CL games. He's also done a few Europa League and some international games so he's not a complete greenhorn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Thought the ref in the Arsenal v Munich game was overall pretty decent, thought he got the Kane elbow wrong, that was a clear red all day long as he definitely meant it, and whilst I thought at the time it was a peno on Saka at the end I can see why he didn't give it (suspect if it was a PL game it would have been given & not overturned by VAR though), the incident re: Gabriel was a nothing incident at the time & there was no way any ref worth his salt would ever give a penalty for that so he was spot on with that also IMO.

Other than a few soft frees for Kane (thru his standard cheating - what a horrible chancer he really is) he pretty much called a good game, far better than the standard that comes with the PL referees that's for sure.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

He used common sense.

I can see why Bayern / anti Arsenal fans would be desperate for him to give it, but it was just a weird mistake from Gabriel. It would've felt odd to see it given.

I genuinely don't see the controversy around Saka. The minute he throws his leg towards Neuer, pretty blatantly, it's not a pen. If Neuer is blocking his path, as some suggest, he should just run into him in a normal fashion then. The fact he had to throw his leg suggests he had to initiate contact to get the contact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,971 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well I agree that the ref got it right but I do think that if Saka had just kept close to Meuer he would have made contact and got the penalty. Very stupid move by Saka and it's unlike him, always put him down as a smart footballer up until that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

Feels like he didn’t back himself to get round him so made an unnatural movement to allow the ref to see contact, which is probably the worst decision he could make. If he gets round him he probably scores, if he makes a genuine attempt to get round him and is clipped he has a stronger case for a penalty. I’m not surprised at his decision though, that happens in a home game in the PL and he gets that call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

The Saka pen was very similar to what Harvey Elliot did on the weekend, and nobody questioned that penalty decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

It is confusing. It’s not a penalty, as in Saka has deliberately moved his leg to ensure contact with the opposition keeper but they do give penalties for that a lot of the time. It’s exactly what VAR should be used for to root that crap out of the game. Not always consistent though.

Your comment about TNT’s reaction is also interesting. When I was growing up watching RTE, BBC, ITV and later SKY broadcasting football, the English pundits in particular used to continuously complain about continental European players especially Italians and Portuguese for diving and simulation and conning the officials. The English players over the years have learned how to cheat like the worst of them. In fact players like Kane and Grealish are the very worst big name players in the game for it now. VAR should be used as a tool in a concerted effort to rid that carry on from the game. Great call from the on field ref against Saka last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Saka I initially thought it was clearly not a penalty but from the behind angle Neuer clearly moves more into him and there's not much he could do except stop or run into him. He mitigated the contact by jumping up and making the most of it but overall I think it's a clear foul from Neuer.

• The Bayern ref was poor however the Real v City ref was brilliant. No messing about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭crossman47

Probably. I'd be interested to see how many stayed watching the womens game after the CL started. Very few, I suspect. Real v City was a cracker.

• Advertisement

It's when you see the refs in the Champions League you realize how poor the EPL refs are.

CL refs are not perfect, they're human, and mistakes are made, but their on field judgment is so much better in general than in the EPL. Then add in the VAR officials in the EPL, and their interpretation of the laws through PGMOL.

It's a discussion outside of here, but it's time for FIFA to take full control of the laws, and bring them out of the hands of the so called 'Home Nations'. AFAIK, the body that decides the laws and how they are implemented are still 50.%controlled by the English, Scottish, Welsh and NI FAs. Britain, and in particular England are no longer a centre of any type of excellence in refereeing,(let alone other industries)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I think the only major refereeing error yesterday was the Kane elbow, that's a red card to me.

Kane looked bad, agreed. But there is leeway etc.

The kick-off thing was a black & white decision a no brainer. No leeway really. It even was acknowledged that an infringement occurred, it was simply waived.

I'd be the first to admit it was the right decision in the spirit of the game, but a dodgy thing to do at that level all the same. Especially with the number of crazy in-play handball decisions we had over the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Yes, think I mentioned that one. VAR should have seen that and Kane should have got the red. Because of who he is he gets away with it. I really don't like him as a personality, he was nasty there last night. Someone from Arsenal should play it his way and do a job on him in the second leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

The 'whistle' is meaningless for a goal-kick - a goal-kick isn't a re-start which needs a whistle like a kick-off, a penalty, or a free-kick delayed for a wall to be built. It's more just a signal to 'get on with it'. So people shouldn't get caught up in the false logic that because the ref whistled and Gabriel handled the ball a second later that it must be a penalty. Nearly all goal-kicks get taken without a whistle.

Having said that Arsenal couldn't really have argued if a penalty had been given. Just a bizarre situation. From body language it seems clear that Raya believed he'd taken the goal-kick and Gabriel didn't realise this. Probably a fair decision by the ref.

• The people of Ireland like supporting their own team now it seems. Can see it more with loi attendances going up too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I thought the Bernabeu pitch looked ropey last night, or was blaming the feed on rte news.

Then Pep moaned about it afterwards too. Imagine doing such a marvellous stadium upgrade, state of the art stuff, and the pitch being crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Pep is such a fuking whinge bag when he doesn't win.

When he beats Luton or someone 10-0 he is all about the "amazing" club or manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I hate Pep with a passion, but the pitch looked poor.

Of course had he won, probably wouldn't have mentioned the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,971 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'm expecting lots of goals tonight. None of the four teams have solid defense.

I'm watching PSG Vs Barca, looking forward to it. I'm shouting for Barca, I'm a lifelong Xavi fan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I don't think anyone who be watching the CL game were watching the women's to begin with. Was very surprised they put it on RTE 2 but I suppose against England

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Still a stupid thing to whinge about both played on it at the same time and he knew well what the pitch was like it was not as if they just found out when walking out at the start of the game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Garzorico

probably all the people like me tuning into watch the CL and turning out immediately when it wasn’t on. No way the average TV audience was 262k for a womens football game. Creative accounting going on there I’d say.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Think you'd be surprised - a lot of households where people aren't all that aware of the champions league, but would always have an Irish event of any kind on. I know my folks back home had the women's game on anyway.

'Football people' were probably more likely to watch the CL, everyone else was more likely to have the 'Ireland' thing on. Thinking from another perspective, I've no interest in rugby, no interest in Munster, or Leinster etc, no interest in Champions Cup, or the national competition (is there one?I guess so, right?) - but i'll throw on an Ireland game, because it's an Irish team. Same as I watched the women's hockey a few years ago, or Kelly Harrington, or Rhys McClenaghan etc etc. It's national interest stuff, rather than a specific interest in the sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭adaminho

Pub I was in last night had the Ireland game on 6 tvs and the other one had the Arsenal game on!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

PSG keeper has been an accident waiting to happen and it just did, 0-1

It's amazing how people get triggered by the dumbest things. Like, if you don't want women playing football, I don't know what can be said to you.....

It's not like someone is tying you to the chair and forcing you to actually watch it. Live and let live, if you don't like it STFU and let prople who do watch it and enjoy.

Personally, I watched the Champions League game and dipped in and out of the Ireland game, nobody came into the house and told me to turn it off and forced me to watch the women!

Terrible just there from Marquinhos

PSG very lucky to be only 1-0 down at half-time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Very good first half from Barcelona.

Mbappe seems generally uninterested in the proceedings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,296 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

The way the pitch slides away in sections and under the ground when not it use is a bit mad.

You could see lines where the different sections were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

1-1, rocket from Dembele

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

A cracker 1-1 no saving that .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Some turnaround in Paris. That Dembele strike was unstoppable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

2-1 PSG now, Barca still on the dressing rooms

That was a poor clearance from Barca and poor attempt to block Dembele's shot. Probably expected him to miss the target.

And now Barca are 2-1 down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

thats a quick turnaround. 2-1 to psg

That was a quick turn around - similar to last night.

This Barca team are not great. All it was going to take was PSG copping on to themselves.

• Advertisement
Advertisement