Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2023-24 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,421 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

When you factor in the relative lack of hooliganism I would say it looks to be one of the best.

Some of the Serie A teams have sections that look as good as Dortmund but come with a fair amount of menace too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kksaints

On a much smaller scale but Slavia Prague ultras section is seriously impressive. The Prague Derby is definitely a match I'd recommend going to. Hajduk Split's fan group is also extremely noisy albeit with a much heightened risk of trouble and unpleasant right wing iconography.

The Yellow Wall is visually really impressive but for the match I was at last last year against Augsburg at least wasn't particularly loud compared to some of the other clubs I'd have gone to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,052 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The Westfalenstadion is on my bucket list.

Best I've experienced is Independiente in Argentina, a fantastic experience.

Obviously, being biased, I always recommend the San Mames. I'm a big Athletic club fan but it's a great stadium, great atmosphere in a great city. You will thank me if you take that second recommendation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,636 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Yeah but that wasn't the same situation

The proposal around the Super League was cherry-picking the clubs that would generate the most money.
    There was nothing about sporting merit.

Just think it would be better to have more clubs from around Europe rather than going down the route of 5/6 teams from one of the top leagues is all.

But I fully understand it is a money move. More high-profile clubs in the CL = more revenue to both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭jacool

Last night someone said it goes to 6th!

Here are the new odds :6/5 Read Madrid, 11/4 PSG, 7/2 Bayern München, 7/1 Borussia Dortmund.

To reach final: 1/2 RM, 3/4 PSG, 21/20 BD, 13/8 BM. Interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭Talisman

Ironically the European Cup began life as an invitation tournament, its purpose was to show case Real Madrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,740 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

The Guardian says if Dortmund finishes 5th (I assume 5th or better) in the league and win the Champions League Germany will have 6 spots next year.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/article/2024/may/02/dortmund-win-ends-premier-league-hope-extra-champions-league-spot-bundesliga-five

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,335 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

If Dortmund finish 5th and win the Champions League they take the Champions League holders spot freeing up the European Performance spot for the next team in Germany who do not qualify for the Champion League.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,215 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,215 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

To showcase the best football teams in Europe, not specifically Real Madrid, although they were among the best obviously.

It was the idea of a French newspaper, so not sure why they would want to showcase a Spanish team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭crossman47

Yes, I thought that ref was brilliant. He took no messing - get up and get on with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,052 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Its obviously the directions given to them. Even the Premier league refs have been good in the Champions league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

Does the same apply if Bayern win the Champions League?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,542 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Logically it should but haven't heard it mentioned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

the PL refs have also being selected for the CL and major tournaments. There’s a message in there for people who think PL refs are the worst.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

They kinda have to have some of them don't they though. There was a big stink at one of the world or euros about 10 years ago when no English ref was selected, they threw the toys out big time. How many are involved in the euros? Taylor?

But what you say about the direction given would seem to hold through to some extent, and calls even more I to question the place of PGMOL and all that. The fact the so called 'Home Nations' still effectively hold away on the board that makes the laws of the game is nuts as well.

Oliver and Taylor.

wouldn’t agree about the home nations “holding sway” on the board. There’s an English treasurer and a welsh member out of 18 exco members. If there were 10 out of 18 then they would hold sway, by how i understand the term anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Is it still not IFAB that sets the Laws of the game? 8 votes, 4 from the so called home countries who were in complete charge for years, and 4 from FIFA. That was my understanding of it anyway.

I don’t know, I thought you meant Exco members. I don’t know on ifab.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,351 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

looking forward to seeing ramos tonight

dortmund the better team here after 27 mins, no real big chances yet though. sancho has been lively on the RHS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,916 ✭✭✭✭klose

Big save by Donnaruma that

0-0 HT. couple of chances. PSG nearly got a deflected goal just on the stroke of HT, dortmund also had a good breakaway chance.

not the most exciting tie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,212 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Amazing to have gotten to half time with their lead intact - I'd thought PSG would come out fast and aggressive and go big for an early goal to try to wipe them away, but hasn't been the case at all. Dortmund in a great position here to at least get to extra time, or even hold out for the win. Could well nick one on the break as PSG get more desperate too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,680 ✭✭✭Damien360

Not a great game at all. Dortmund doing what they need to do and sit very deep with 2 lines of 4 giving no space. PSG stroking it around but can't get through the lines.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,351 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Dortmund in control at ht. Once PSG go all out I can see them getting one on the break and cruising the rest of the game.

big miss there on the back post from zaire emery

Huge goal for Dortmund!

PSG in big big trouble! Started the half well, but have a big job ahead of them now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,362 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Dortmund have taken the lead through a free header by Hummels from a corner.

• Advertisement

hummels makes it 2-0 on aggregate

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭omega man

PSG bottling it again crazy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,351 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

What a stupid corner to give away in the first place - PSG could get a bit naughty from here on in if it goes further away from them.

Clear foul on Sancho there baring down on the box there - even potentially a red for denying a clear goalscoring opportunity - just ignored by the ref.

Clear foul on Sancho not given and no yellow for the very clear tug back in the lead up tho the goal too - ref trying his best for psg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,434 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I like the way Bein Sports have the crowd noise quite high in the mix but there's a really annoying fecker with a whistle in the stands.

ramos on the end of 2 good pull backs there, failed to convert.

ref is confusing himself here, points to the spot then a free

PSG hitting the post twice in the second half and we’re about an inch away from getting a penalty but got a free outside the box instead, fine margins on display here.

• Advertisement

faking head injuries is something that needs to be stamped out

Hard to see PSG not scoring here Dortmund are just defending their penalty box at this stage.

In fairness, he did get the ball in the face but it is certainly overdone generally.

Nothing PSG wouldn't have done had they roles been reversed, so it's kinda nice to see in one way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,434 ✭✭✭facehugger99

PSG starting to lose their heads.

The BS theatrics from players. PSG player fouled on the edge of the box, dived inside the box.

Penalties are such a weird thing, you can get them for nothing, be denied clear penalties. Often you see teams that couldn't and wouldn't score if they played a lifetime. Then handed a lifeline through a penalty, which 9/10 times at least should be scored if taken well.

Was it fair that Man City got a penalty for the foul on Gvardiol when the shot was gone and into row Z. The "foul" was debatable and it didn't deny them a goal scoring chance.

Back to tonight, had that "foul" occured a few inches forward and just inside the edge of the box, they'd probably have scored from the penalty, instead the free amounts to nothing.

Hakimi the next PSG player trying to dive inside the box. It's a cheap way to get a goal.

thats so out of control by dembele, prob should be a red.

• Advertisement

hummels goal disallowed

That was needless from the PSG player. Rightfully booked.

Bloody hell, another huge miss from the header - and that's even before Mbappe then hits the crossbar with his follow up (which HAD to be on target from there)

PSG hit the bar twice again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,909 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

PSG - "We're gonna knock that goal over"

• Advertisement
Advertisement