Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2023-24 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

PSG just cant hit the back of the net

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Just 4 minutes of added time. PSG are as good as out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Christ… I think that's a pen… the contact on Mbappe's calf is what stops him being able to strike the ball.

Blatant foul on the Dortmund player in the corner, pushed in the back. The ref says play on. SMH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Always love to see PSG go out

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I simply cannot wait to see and hear the Yellow Wall in Wembley !!!

Really hope they win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

Very similar to the blatant challenge on Sancho earlier on, clearly a free but the fee waves it on, strange.

Dortmund defended well, but let's face it, they rode their luck at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Hummels was superb!

dortmund through to the final. very exciting 2nd half, PSG did everything but score

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Brilliant from Dortmund

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭Xander10

If there is one club that needs a super league more than others, it's PSG.

Delighted Dortmund won.

The only person I feel sorry for from PSG is Enrique.

Incredible result from Dortmund… I only gave them a small chance of getting through even coming in with a lead - definitely didn't see them actually winning on the night as well!

I think Madrid would beat them handy enough in a final - but they'd have a great shout against Bayern (beat them 2-0 in Munich only 2 months ago sure).

Guaranteed that an English player playing for a foreign club will lift the champions league this season, who was the last person to do so?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Garzorico

Shame, would love to have seen Mbappe in the final. Always better when the best players are on show. No chance of a decent final now in my opinion. It’ll probably be a very one sided game because Dortmund are not a good side. Also there’s a chance of a final with teams from the same country, that’s doenst exactly fire the imagination the same as two teams from different countries.

Having said that I’d like to see Harry Kane win something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Garzorico

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,661 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

no Dortmund are not a good side lol

the team that wasnt given a prayer after the group draw. group of death. which they then topped. to proceed into the final. but not a good side.

they must be doing something right. hummels man of the match three times over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Delighted PSG are out. Important to have proper teams winning this I think, especially after last year. Great stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

The last time BVB played a CL finale in London it was one of the best finals I can remember. So in thar sense I am looking forward to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Last time Dortmund won the CL in 1997 they won both semi-finals 1-0. Omen?

Last time a club finished 5th in their domestic league and won it was Liverpool in 2005.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,661 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

And they lost that final to Bayern.

I really like Bayern. They are great. Flying the Bundesliga flag in Europe for ever. But somehow I hope that bit of history wont repeat itself. Would be so cruel on Dortmund.

Edit: If Bayern were to make the final it would be a repeat of the 2013 final in Wembley. In which case each side would have two players who also played 11 years ago. Hummels and Reus for Dortmund, Neuer and Müller for Bayern.

Post edited by CalamariFritti on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Dortmund playing a CL final in Wembley, with a big club star playing his lad game for the club in that game. Unfortunately I've seen this one before. Be great for Reus if it ends differently this time around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,976 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Delighted for Dortmund, they put up a great effort to get it done.

Its hard to believe how many times PSG hit the woodwork over the two legs. It's not unfortunate though, all those efforts were off target no matter how close they were.

• Advertisement

Think that's it alright - and McManaman's two wins sandwiched Hargreaves' one, so there were 3 years in a row of England players winning with Foreign teams.

And the year before was Utd, so there were English winners 4 years in a row.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭Damien360

I know Gareth Bale is Welsh but we shouldn't forget he has 5 champions league medals. That is an incredible record for a much maligned man by the media. Not English but UK. Probably a decent golfer also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Absolutely delighted for BVB. Was devasted for them when they lost the league title last year on the final day, and the 2013 Champions League final. They're one of those clubs you just can't help but love. Wasn't shocked they beat PSG, because PSG are absolute dirt.

But this BVB team is poor since Klopp left, and in his final season could take them no further. But what's held them back, is since he took over, they decided his attacking philosophy is now the only style the club can play. So since then, we've had an array of BVB managers trying to get them to play an attacking way, at a poor and inconsistent level. They are similar to Spurs in many respects.

Fortunately the draw opened up for them, and you get the feeling they're going gung ho in Europe to give Reus the medal and send off he deserves. If ever a player deserved a major medal domestically or in Europe, it's Reus. A career destroyed by injuries, but when fit, a generational player. Behind Messi, if this guy didn't have the injuries he did, he'd be right up there as the greatest of his generation, literally had everthing. Vision, speed, passing, leadership, goals, could dictate the tempo of a game and pull the strings, dribbling, had it all. An all round mercurial genius. We talk about KDB, couldnt hold a candle to this guy! He was that good and better.

Was sickened for him when they lost the league on the final day of the season last year, but they've a huge chance to put it right for him. For me, he's one of the most gifted players I've seen when fit, he really does deserve this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,628 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Marco Reus and Mats Hummels in CL final again for Borussia Dortmund, delighted for Borussia Dortmund

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Hummels fcuked off and Reus told his as much publicly. Should never have been accepted back, like Gotze. Life was made difficult for Gotze when he did come back apparently. Dressing room never really accepted him back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Funnily enough I happened to be in London that weekend in 2013, the two sets of fans had Trafalgar square packed out when we were there and not an ounce of trouble between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭jonnreeks

UEFA Europa Conference League Semi-finals

Club Brugge v Fiorentina kick off 17:45, May 8th

Aggregate score (Agg 2-3)

Fiorentina takes to the field in Belgium at Bruges against Club Brugge tomorrow for the Conference League semi-final second leg. An unusual day for a European match that is not the Champions League. Usually, indeed, only this competition is played between Tuesday and Wednesday, while the Viola will play on May 8th at 18:45, just before Real Madrid-Bayern Munich. But why was the match between Fiorentina and Brugge moved forward? The reason involves a religious procession and UNESCO. Brugge-Fiorentina: where to watch it free and in streaming, time, and probable line-ups. The question was asked by all Fiorentina fans and football enthusiasts, who noticed with surprise the decision to play a Conference League game two hours before the Champions League. The anticipation was caused by the city of Bruges itself, supported by UNESCO, which wants to protect an event on May 9th. Next Thursday, in fact, in the Belgian city, the Procession of the Holy Blood will take place, a religious event linked to the Feast of the Assumption. This has even been included by UNESCO in the Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity and for this reason, the authorities preferred to preserve the event at the expense of the Conference League match which was moved forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭randd1

Delighted to see German clubs do well. Hope Bayern get to the final now.

Ordinarily you'd be wary of German intentions of conquering Europe (you know, those two World Wars and all that), but in this instance it would be a good thing; any league in which the clubs are owned by the fans, and not by a billionaire/oil state, it is very much preferable to see them winning.

An all-German final would be a great message to other leagues as well, you can be a fans club and have success. If it is Dortmund v Bayern I'm hoping Dortmund do it, at the very least you'd have a savage Bundesliga next year if they do.

I'm also hoping Leverkusen do the business in the Europa as well for the same reason.

I wouldn't have the slightest interest in watching an all German Champions league final.

I want Atalanta or Marseille to win the Europa league. Leverkusen are runaway Bundesliga champions and already in next year's Champions league. I can't see anyone stopping Leverkusen though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

The German model certainly sounds great and yet Bayern have dominated for years (11 titles in a row until this year) by signing their rivals' best players and being able to splurge money that other teams can only dream of. Then there's the cases of Red Bull Leipzig and Hoffenheim who quickly rose through the ranks with the help of a financial benefactor. There's also Bayer Leverkusen and Wolfsburg who, afaik, still have links with the companies that founded them as they were established exceptions when those ownership rules came in. Meanwhile, big clubs have struggled (Schalke and Hamburg) so I don't see it as perfect. In theory, its fairer but in practice it still comes up short.

It's great when the likes of Heidenheim and St. Pauli are flying high but the reality is its rare that Bayern don't win it or, at least, qualify for the CL. They aren't at their best right now but they'll always be there or thereabouts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

I couldn't put Marseille ahead of Leverkusen. They have the 1993 Champions League (asterisked, most likely!!)

Bayer Leverkusen have 0 European titles and Marseille "managed" to win one, so I would prefer to see the "cleaner" team prevail, if they met in the final. I know that Tapie is long gone. Marseille was stripped of its French league championship and later were relegated, but they did get to hang onto the Champions League title, the first actual CL title.

• Advertisement

I could watch an Atalanta-Leverkusen final and not mind who won.

Huh never knew they were stripped of their league title, looking at the wiki page both teams for the final had a lot of big name players that day

Much more open game already compared to last night's.

gnabry should have used his right foot there and had a pop

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Could be 1-1 already. Bayern are springing the breakaway very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Dafuq the TV glitched?

should be 1-0 to real. off the post and then rebound straight at keeper.

Someone explain how 2 balls were on the pitch and the ref just let it continue

Ref allowed the gamne to go on, 2 balls on the pitch but a Bayern player was tracking the ball at the other end. Would have been utter confusion had Real scored.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭hawaii501

I'm sure it would have been allowed as it's Real Madrid.

Some start to this game, 20 mins has flown by. Real the better side ao far.

Advertisement