Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puncture repair..was I "done" or not?

Options
  • 13-06-2023 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭

(I'm not cribbing, too late for that now anyway, this really more about my own knowledge for the future)

so I managed to fupp the rear tyre my 1st ever one

see pic attached it was a 6 month old Metzeler RR (180/55 zr17) which unfortunately gobbled up a f*****g expensive woodscrew on me...fairly sure it happened outside a building site :(

was during a working day so didn't have luxury of getting her home and investigating my options...so while there was still a bit of air left I managed to gently roll to a reputable dealer/service gaff where I'd had the original set fitted...I was told they never repair only replace....I complied as in my head it kinda made some sense and I wasn't in a position to shop around figure out my next move. €220

"never repair only replace" is that True/False

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭flatty

To be honest, on a motorbike, I'd tend to agree, though I took mine in with a screw buried to the head right on the central line (rear). The garage said to take a screwdriver and gently remove it, which I did. They said it'd probably be ok, but I changed it anyway. Not worth the risk imho. Others may differ. The forces going through a motorbike tyre must be enormous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

For a car tyre easy plug repair! on a motorbike I'd play safe and replace too much at risk!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭flatty

I've had a couple of plug and repairs start leaking again in car tyres. Wouldn't want it on the bike that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Yea some places Wont plug a tyre, it’s not a guaranteed fix, if it was recessed in a thread maybe, but that screw is right on the face, I presume they don’t want you coming back after it fails and holding them accountable for damage.

they could of offered to patch repair it I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭geotrig

don't think any dealer will plug anymore and if its a power full bike its probably best you want that rear able to handle the forces going through !! noting wrong with been plugged for a short stint etc but i wouldnt drive it hard , on an adventure bike i'd prab have a different view on the ofroad tyres !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

There is no problem repairing a bike tyre, even Metzeler say you can do it: https://www.metzeler.com/en-ww/tech-and-tips/pressure-safety-maintenance

Does depend on where on the tyre and the nature of the damage of course, but a straightforward nail-hole etc is eminently repairable.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭sundodger5

With that being in the exact centre it would have been repairable with a proper mushroom patch.

That said it would depend on the diameter of the screw/hole as it needs to be under 6mm if i recall correctly.

The plug repairs mentioned by others (applied without removal of tyre from the wheel) are bad news and should be avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,057 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Sticky string and the job's a good 'un. I carry a 12V pump in the top box too.

I got 50 strings recently from Amazon for £9. Hopefully much more than a lifetime supply! (I already have the tool since a few years back, but it only came with 4 or 5 strings) and they'll do the wife's car too.

Yes, OP, you were most certainly done!

As long as the sidewall isn't punctured there's no problem repairing a tyre and I've never had an issue or ever heard of anyone else having an issue either. So no not 'bad news'.

Punctures are almost always nails/screws that leave a clean hole. You actually have to enlarge the hole slightly with the tool to get the string in...

I totally detest the people in the trade who'd take a rider to the cleaners like that.

Post edited by Hotblack Desiato on

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭martco

yeah I had a feeling my bullshit detector was getting tickled a bit hence posting

I know my onions with cars but that was the 1st time ever for me on bike plus I didn't have time to shop around/argue/think about it etc.

see the argument for a replacement is semi-plausible given its bike and more vulnerable yadda so not dissing anyone its just bit of a maybe subjective bummer

but like you indicated this was a very very normal type of damage...a small neat intrusion centre line of tyre...on a car I'd 1000% confidently proceed to repair!!

but now I know for the future, new lesson learned in my biking journey thanks Hotblack

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭sundodger5

I think you misread what i posted.

To clarify a sticky string will get you out of trouble but the tyre should always be taken off the wheel and inspected for secondary damage.

A proper plug/patch type repair is what is specified in the standards.

The patch part makes it airtight and the plug minimises water intrusion into the steel belts in the tyre.

The sticky strings tend to lose flexibility over time and start to leak again plus the above mentioned problem of not checking for secondary damage.

Sticky string grand to get you off the side of the road but i would also consider the above points for maximum peace of mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,057 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I didn't misread what you posted, I just disagree with it.

I've never had a string leak again, but the worst thing that can happen is a slow puncture.

I have TPMS (aftermarket, highly recommended) so I'm on top of any possible problem anyway, most people don't check their tyres nearly often enough and that's a real issue, but not really the problem here.

If you can see what the cause of the puncture is (almost always screw/nail), remove it, clean up the hole nicely and then plug it there's no problem. If you don't know why it's losing air, or there is damage other than a clean hole then at the very least the tyre needs to come off for inspection but probably replaced.

Bike tyres have a short enough life in terms of mileage, and in the long term they deteriorate anyway even if they've never been punctured. So... very low annual mileage riders need to look at their tyres more carefully, but that's true whether they've been repaired or not.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

To be fair to the shop they said they don't repair them them. Which IMO is fair enough.

They didn't say it can't be repaired (if I'm not mistaken). I have used the sticky plugs and never had an issue with them. The mushroom plug from the inside is how you're supposed to fix them.

Advertisement