Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching mortgages

Options
  • 13-06-2023 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭

Hi

My parents are looking at switching mortgage provider to reduce repayments. They have never gone through this process so I'm trying to help them as best I can.

Are they better off using a broker service to handle this? The mortgage is interest only atm, but one of the quotes online was similar to their interest only amount.

I was thinking of using a service called doddl. Any ezoerienxe/ advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,526 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I would not expect any loan offers to be made to someone paying interest only.

You need a solicitor to handle the mortgage registration, this will cost the guts of a grand in most cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Thank for the reply @L1011

Thats my fear. Even though with the new rate from switcher.com the new full repayment will be similar to the current interest only payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,526 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Doesn't change the basis that the existing loan isn't being serviced / is under a rearrangement - unless it was taken out as interest only at day one, which I presume is not the case?

Talk to a proper broker about it to see the options - there may be something with the existing bank also - but if it is changed from an original interest+capital deal it is going to be a massive red flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Calculator123

Mortgage switching, while not hard per se, is not akin to switching electricity or gas supplier. The paper work is much the same as a new mortgage and the solicitor fees not far off either. I have done it twice. To offset the solicitors fees you need to be saving a lot on the future interest rate/ repayment to make it worthwhile. You still need the usual payslips, employer letters, tax statements and so forth.

Make sure you do the maths first. If it does save on repayments substantially, then I highly recommend it. I'm paying about 500 euro less per month now as a result of the switches.

With recent rate rises, I'm not sure there's an awful lot of value out there these days though.

Advertisement