Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Travel around Ireland by Train

• 14-06-2023 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭

Iarnród Éireann claim make it easy for you to travel around Ireland.

"The rail network covers Belfast, Cork, Limerick, Galway, Kerry, Mayo, Sligo, Waterford, Wexford and many more counties around Ireland. Buy a 'Trekker Pass' or 'Explorer Travel Ticket' and explore our beautiful country at your leisure."

Start from Derry to Belfast,

Then Belfast via Dundalk to Dublin to Rosslare (Wexford).

(Rosslare to Waterford line closed in 2010, but possible plans to reopen as the line is still in use for some freight purposes)

Next from Waterford via Limerick Junction to Mallow to Tralee,

Then Tralee via Limerick Junction Athenry to Galway,

Next Galway to Athlone to Westport or Ballina.

That's it really!

*If the Western Rail Corridor Plan was operational you would be able to travel this route

Cork to Mallow - Limerick - Ennis - Athenry - Tuam - Clarrmorris - Sligo.

*Possible New Route on Sligo - Derry line!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I don't think the Rosslare - Waterford line has been used since 2010, even for freight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,556 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

One of the saddest maps I've ever seen

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭jonnreeks

I was told by my grandmother several years ago about how she used to travel from Cobh by train via Cork and then on to Skibbereen to visit relations.

I think it was the West Cork Railway Line!

And the train to Youghal in the Summer was always a great option, you got a train to Cork, but got off at Cobh Junction stop and changed platforms to pick up the Cork-Youghal train the opposite direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Some permanent way vehicles have been down it infrequently, although they haven't gone along the section of rail on the swing bridge over the river Barrow as far as I'm aware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,229 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

they did used to go over the bridge but not in recent years.

i believe the bridge is in the open position permanently now but i can't confirm that for definite.

only per way and the odd stock transfer have used it since it was closed to regular traffic.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,730 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There were stock movement post 2010 due to track damage on the coastal section

That "2020" map is inaccurate. Kingscourt and New Ross are gone, it has the Antrim line that's shut in NI, and its missing M3 Parkway and Middleton

WRC Northern section is not reopening in anyones lifetime (and if it did, it wouldn't reuse the awful Burma Road alignment), and Sligo-Derry is never, ever, ever happening.

Realistic potential passenger service reopenings, in no order of plausibility:

• Foynes, or at least part of the line
    • Navan
    • the South Wexford
    • Antrim/Airport line on NIR
    • Dungannon - in NIR long term plans
    • Letterkenny on a new alignment, funded specifically as a cross-border project
    • Athenry-Tuam
    • Limerick-Cork direct via a modified alignment (sort of in long term plans)
    • Youghal (maybe)
    • Lots of track dualling
    • Station re-openings, particularly on the Waterford and Wexford lines

None of these improve any potential round-Ireland tourist trips, but that is such a small potential market that it isn't something you go out of the way to serve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,741 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Clifden is missing from the 1920 map!

Scrap the cap!

Advertisement