Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mould in apt, not sure if my own fault, how to deal with Landlord?

Options
  • 14-06-2023 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭PoisonIvyBelle

Hey all. Would really like a Landlord perspective.

I'm renting a ground floor flat in an old house in Dublin the past 5 years on very low rent with a really nice landlord and very little issues. But one issue has been mould. It's a bit under the windows that popped up a few times over the years, and I've since cleaned as much as I could and painted over it twice but it's visible again now through the paint. It's not new as far as I can tell, just the old mould marks from where I rubbed it off are showing through.

I realise this is on me and I should have said it to him ages ago when it first happened, but I have a lot of anxiety around these things (took me months to ask him to fix an appliance), and now I feel like he's going to be a bit annoyed and I'm panicking a bit.I'm not sure how much of it is my fault. I try to keep the windows open a fair bit but I do have curtains closed in my bedroom a fair bit due to migraines. And especially now in the hot weather. I know I could say "oh it's the LL's problem" but in all honesty it wasn't here when I moved in so I don't know. I know the place was done up a bit before I moved, but that was 5 years ago.

He's coming to fix something now in a few days and there's no getting around this as he's likely going to notice unless I paint it again, but will still prob notice that. I'm just wondering how to approach it or what to say. I know he thinks of me as a great tenant and my place in general is tidy and well kept and I never ask for anything, hasn't been painted or anything in the 5 years even though it could do with it, but I say nothing for an easy life and also because the rent is so so low.

Am I going to be in bother for this? And what would be the best way to approach it when he comes over? I really don't want to mess up the relationship with him or impact any future reference. I know it might be hard for some people to understand but my anxiety goes through the roof with this stuff and I very much avoid it where I can. I'm already panicking. The only positive is that if I deal with it now and it goes ok then I won't have to worry about addressing it when I eventually want to move out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

why dont you wash it with an anti fungal cleaner to kill it and then BIN primer it to cover the discolouration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭PoisonIvyBelle

I did this a while back about a year ago, but it stayed discoloured, painted over it but it seems to have come through as you can see the grey under the paint now. I guess I could do that again now before he comes over. I'll have a look at BIN

BIN is great for covering stains. dries in minutes but bloody stinks. 123 works as well but not as well but it is water based and doesnt stink. a few coats will block the stain.

thanks a million! I'd say I'd get it in Xpert hardware? will have a look now!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,797 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

How much mould are we talking about?

You said at the start that it's 'a bit under the windows' but the rest of your post reads as if the walls are covered top to bottom throughout the whole room..?

If it's just a bit under the windows that's not an issue at all. We live in a very damp country.

• Advertisement

No, it's basically below the window sill in one room. But it's like the whole bit under the window sill, which is about maybe 2 highx4 ft wide. It's not anywhere else in the room. I know I might be over-reacting, but I never had it before and I'm just not sure really so wanted to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭DFB-D

I don't get why you would feel the need to cover it up before the landlord gets there.

Mould origins are varied, a lack of sunlight, drying clothes inside, or a leak/ damp of some sort could be causes.

Best to address with the landlord so they are aware it continues to be an issue, as a LL, I would prefer to know so I can establish the source of the issue before it gets any worse.

I'm just worried it's my fault from having curtains closed in that room quite a bit. I don't think it's new mould there now, seems to be just the marks left from when I wiped it off previously coming through the paint.I have a tendency to just get things fixed myself here, I think we all do in the flats in the house. You think I should just leave it as it is? Thanks for replying, it's helpful to hear from an LL.

i would assume so. most hardwares , co ops, paint shops b n q , screfixs shops will have it. get a small tin unless you need that much. it goes a long way

Thanks all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭DFB-D

It was there about a year ago, I wiped it off but it left a grey stain which I painted over. Now the stain is coming through a bit, so I'm not sure if that means it's getting worse and just the paint. Cleaning it won't remove it as it's a stain in the paint rather than just sitting on it, or I would have done that. I had a look again there and I don't think it's as bad as I think in my head. I might just leave it as is and say it to him like you said.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,558 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'm not going to lie, it could very well be the curtains being left closed that is a contributing factor, particularly if there is furniture or a radiator under the window, or the curtains are quite heavy/thick.

One of the causes of mould growth is lack of air circulation, particularly in bedrooms (because people sleeping during the night will cause a build up of warm air, and warmer air can hold more moisture within the air). If the air is getting trapped below the window due to the curtains constantly being closed (again, especially if there is a radiator below as this will create more heat, or furniture which would also reduce air circulation), the moisture in the air can't reach a point of ventilation (wall vent, trickle vent in window), so it turns to condensation on the wall and turns to mould.

Even lifting the bottom of the curtains onto the windowcill to allow air to flow around the point where mould is growing will help to reduce it. However if the natural ventilation to the room is via trickle vents in the window frame, you're just going to have to keep the curtains open, at least for a few hours after getting up in the morning, to help clear the moisture from the air which built up overnight.

Fairly heavy curtains yeah, no furniture under it. The place was done up before I moved in so I don't really know if it happened before, that's why I was wary if it was my fault, I guess I'll find out soon :/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,403 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

If you painted over the mould and it’s showing though, just get sand paper and lightly take off the paint being careful not to strip off the plaster. Then use a paint brush to apply white vinegar, it doesn’t just remove the mould, it kills the spores in the plaster. Then when it dries, repaint.

A good tip for mould on the ceiling in a bathroom, if you can’t find the cause, paint the ceiling with an external masonry paint like sandtex, it is resistant to mould.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭ Jesus Chubby Lubrication

Good on the sanding it down, but external paint inside...VOCs (Volatile organic compounds), I'd be checking them. They're on their for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭lau1247

No harm thinking about getting a dehumidifier for the longer term after all of the above are sorted or else you are not tackling the root cause.

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭delboythedub

same boat here until I got a 12 Ltr. dehumidifier . You could first purchase a Hygrometer € 20 from Screwfix etc and this will show you the Moisture % in your apartment. My problem is I cannot leave windows open when I am not here for Security reasons Dehumidifier SET AT 55% will remove excess moisture and you will notice a change in comfort as you cannot heat a damp home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Diddlers

You could also check around the inside and outside window pane does it need a bit of silicone? They're straight forward to use, lots of youtube videos online. The gun and silicone are fairly cheap.

I kinda don't want to mess around with it too much because he might not be down with that. Even my painting skills aren't exactly amazing, and the colour doesn't match. I had a go at it with mould remover again last night but there really isn't any on the top layer, so then I just painted over it a bit with the paint I have from last time. Think I'm just going to admit defeat and tell him I removed it and tried painting over it and clearly did a **** paint job too but didn't want to bother him.

I'm probably making this a bigger deal than it is. I hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 pooley124

He might appreciate it more if you make him aware of the problem so that it can be fixed. Tell him what you've done to try and fix it.

If it's just directly under the window sill it might need silicone around the frame on the outside, but I would let him do that.

If you try to cover up a mould problem it can turn a minor problem into a major one.

He's going to see it regardless so I'll have to say it, the paint isn't a perfect match. I'll just say it and see what he says.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Most house in Ireland will get mould behid curtains under a window if they are kept closed all the time.

The mould will be in the curtains too, so even though you might not be able to see it it will transfer to the wall.

You are doing the right thing cleaning it as soon as you see it because if you leave it it will spread all around. Even through the air to other rooms and walls.

So attack it every time you see it. Maybe replace the curtains too the next time you kill the mould. Then open the curtains and windows regularly. And at the slightest sign of mould in future treat it. And make sure you dont dry clothes inside. Sure way to get mould in the house, and not always in the room you are drying them in either.

Thanks all, panic over! He was over yesterday and wasn't bothered at all.🙂

You should follow the advice here and clean it properly at any sign of it and get a dehumidifier.

Otherwise it will be in your wardrobes and everywhere else before you know it and it will be too late then.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭windowcills

Yes buy a dehumidifyer, every house should have them

I have 1 set to come on when humidity is above 70, (so showering and cooking) and stops below 65

I have a temperature and humidity logger and every time it comes on you see the humidity drop and temperature rise

Because showering a cooking produces heat (which is usually blown outside by a fan), but dehumidfying also produces heat as turning water from gas to liquid gives off energy

Electricity wise it uses about 2 units a day, but impossible to know how much its saving me on heating

I have it unplugged as windows are open a lot these days

Hiya, thanks a mil, it was actually already cleaned off. This happened over a year ago and it hadn't spread or come back since. It was old marks from where it discoloured was showing through. The main prob was I scrubbed it and damaged the paint and also the awful paint job I did over it. I did clean it again with mould remover just in case though. He had a look and said it's fine. 👍 I'll see if he might buy the dehumidifier but I'm not getting one myself when they're that expensive.

• Advertisement

Everyone should buy a dehumidifier and take it with them whenever they move. It will save you so much money from ruined clothes if mould gets in your wardrobe or drawers. Also its healthy.

Advertisement