Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can cigarette lighter in car short dashcam?

• 14-06-2023 4:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭

Hi all. I have '10 1.2 VW Golf TSI. My wife bought me a dashcam around a year ago and I did nothing with until last week. It worked for a little bit but then seemed to just die. I tried factory resetting and formatting the SD card to no avail. I figured it was just because it was sitting in the boot for over a year that the battery was done.

I replaced it with another dashcam and pretty much the same thing happened. It worked for a little while but then just got stuck in an infinite loop of turning on and off. Again I've tried to factory reset and reformatting etc. but this one seems a goner also.

My question is could the cigarette lighter, where the power source for the cameras come from, be the problem. I've seen some videos on replacing the fuse for it but this seems to be more for when there's no power at all. Is there an easy check or known issues with these and dashcams?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭harmless

It could, the turning on and off could be a loose connection with the cig lighter port.

If you think that is the case you could use a fuse wire-tap to power camera. Much neater job with all the cables out of sight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Just general observations from having dashcams over a period of time

1 Regularly reformat the SD card, avoids a multitude of errors

2 Use a branded SD card, don't scimp on it and buy a €1.99 knock off

3 Thye have a tendancy to cook when in the sun, doesn't do the batteries any good whatsover

4 Some now use a capacitor rather than a battery for back up power, next one I get will probably try one

5 Check the camera is actually recording at start/end of journey ( I usualy just power cycle the camera so that I can see the screen for 2 mins before it times out )

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Is it a direct to charging port or a USB powered one? I've found so many of the cigarette connection ones terrible and don't fit in properly. I'm not sure what way the VWs ones are, but I had a problem on an old nissan where the cigarette port was actually too short, so caused lots of issues. I'm running 3 dashcames for about 10 years now, all are USB powered and no issues at all (USB cigarette lighter connection)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Micksal

dont know if this is the right place to ask this question. Have a new Skoda fabia with a usb c connection on windscreen. Got a canyon dvr10gps dash am from Harvey Norman’s which came with type A usb to usb c cable. Camera works with supplied cable but does not work with a usb c to usb c cable I bought. Canyon support said it should work but a different manufactured cable. Any ideas on how to solve would be great.

Advertisement