Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Magazine Page Creating Software'?

• 15-06-2023 1:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭

Sorry. I don't know how else to describe it 😐️ Trying to tell a friend, today ~ who has never owned a pc ~ and said how I used to have this software that would enable me to make like a magazine page. Put photo's and text onto a 'page'. I need to do that now. Basically.

I had some Adobe programme ~ twenty years ago. Like Paint. But, much better. Could, eg. Get a photo of someone. Throw an elipse around their head and shoulders. Then soften the edges of that. Looked good on my family tree site. Right now though, I need to make an advertising poster. Photo of what's on offer. Then some text, below it. Get that knocked up and printed. Boosh!

Needs to be simple. 'Paint' is about my level. And, free would be good. As I'm skint, just now, and in a hurry. I'll happily buy the right thing though, presently. Just not this month.

Thanks 🙂

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭Esel

ChatGPT?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

You're thinking of desktop publishing software, e.g. Adobe Indesign or Quarkxpress.

Try scribus https://www.scribus.net/ as a free alternative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Nah, this is just Stigura, always with this type of questions and descriptions 😉

@Stigura perhaps search for "poster design software"

Adobe Express is online and free, i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,011 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Try canva.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Stigura

Ok. Thanks, folks. Been trying. One Glaring problem:

Everyone wants me to use their 'Templates'. I don't want bows. Borders. Or pretty girls. I want a Blank 'sheet of A4' I can drag a couple of photo's onto. Then add some text below.

Anyone know anything, please?

(And, yeah. Sorry. I didn't know what " Graphics " meant, or I'd have put this there 😬)

• Advertisement

Try PowerPoint or Google Slides then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Stigura

Mrs O B; You Beauty!!! 😁

Ran myself ragged, trying to figure out Slides. Gave up. Searched for PP and they mentioned WORD ! Haven't even used That in decades! That'll do it though. Got the photo's on there. Just got to formulate the sales pitch. Then, I'll need to fathom how to get it all Sized, so the lad in town can print it for me 👍️

Got to get this right. And soon. Puppies lives depend on it 🙏

Thanks!

Glad you found a solution. Hope the end product looks like everything you want it to.

Hint: once you're finished in Word, save it as a PDF before taking it to the lad in town.

Hint 2: make sure your photos are print quality. Sometimes what looks good on screen looks bad on screen. Maybe do a test-run, just with the photos.

Advertisement