Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just noticed a bulge in my Acer laptop!!

Options
  • 15-06-2023 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭

I assume this is the battery giving up after 5 years and starting to swell up as the bulge is right where the battery would be located.

I was going to take it apart myself and replace the battery, assuming it's just a plug and play deal, but do I need to be careful as to how I dispose of the Li-ion battery to avoid it exploding?

Should I run the battery down before removing it?

It's currently unplugged obviously, but I don't know how long that bulge has been there as it wasn't that obvious to see.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

from what i see it better to keep it in a cool place . do not use it anymore . they suggest disposal to an e waste facility . i see some people suggesting sticking Pins in batteries . for the price of a new longer ife battery these days, id advise against that

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Do NOT stick pins in a swollen battery, I can release gases that are not good for you and even potentially cause an explosion.

Bring it to local hardware shop like power city or DID, anywhere that does the WEEE scheme, don't worry about draining it

Very rare for them to explode but not fun when they do

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

Same thing happened my previous laptop a few years ago. I got a bit paranoid when I noticed it (just before bedtime of course) so set about dismantling the laptop to get the battery out, which I wrapped in plastic and left out on the patio just in case. Take it to a disposal facility - though I wouldn't get rid of it in one of the battery disposal bins they have in shops. Also, I really wouldn't go sticking pins into it - lithium ion fires are impressive but scary!

Your big problem will probably be getting a replacement - if indeed it's replaceable in the first place. Not so much finding one per-se, as getting one shipped to here

If your device does not support windows 11 . you may need to be upgrading it soon enough, so consider that on the price of the battery etc

• Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

It does seem to be purchasable for €85 from www.laptopbatteries.ie ... never heard of that site, looks dodgy, but might be ok?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

That’s where I got mine. Two thumbs up. Simple job to replace.

Hmm it's not the battery after all. I checked a video and its above where the vents are. Possibly overheated with the warm room. Would have thought a failsafe would kick in before it overheats.

what were you running when it overheated ? where did u have the laptop placed ?

That's the thing. I never noticed the moment the bulge appeared, I only noticed it because I was inspecting the top of the keyboard and noticed the word "SWIFT" was a little hidden because of a curve in the body of the laptop. It could have happened any time.

The screen still closes, though it opens a little when the laptop is held leaning on its back end.

I've raised it up to give it 2 inches of space under the vents (before it was about 1cm space).. so I'll continue to use it and feel the top of the case regularly to see if it heats up again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

I found where I got mine from - https://www.laptop-battery-shop.com/ Laptop in question wasn't mainstream - it's a rebadged Clevo barebones from Schenker in Germany. Despite looking suspect, they were grand, and I've since bought a 2nd from them with no issue

• Advertisement

id be looking into a replacement in the meantime

Advertisement