Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android App version 8.37 annoying bug with security implications

Options
  • 15-06-2023 9:56pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Folks, I can't believe what I've just encountered, I've upgraded my android phone from an old Galaxy S7, which was using Android 7, and I now have a new A34, which is on Android 13. Closing the app has been a pain for some time, it's an annoyance of Android that exiting from an app doesn't close it as such, but it's not as such a problem, or to be more correct, it wasn't a problem, after exiting, it was possible to get to a place where the app could be closed using the X in the top right corner. Now, I have this new phone, and I can't actually believe it, the App cannot be closed other than by closing EVERY app that's running. NO WAY is that an acceptable option, and having the banking app open in background with no way to close it is a serious security breach as far as I am concerned, and not acceptable. Given it was possible to fully exit the app in version 7 of android, why is is now not possible to close the app in version 13, that's a very retrograde and unacceptable change, and something that needs to be corrected as a matter of urgency, I won't hold my breath, I know from painful experience, getting any sort of bug fixed seems to be a horribly complex and tortuous experience, but I can always hope.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭cython

Is this a problem you face with just the BOI app, or all apps in general? I've a pixel 6 running android 13 and I can close the app by simply swiping up to get to the app switcher view, and then swiping the BOI app (or indeed any other app I want to close) away. Any "state" within the app is lost and I come back to the login screen on reopening, vs getting back to the same screen if I simply go "home".

To me there doesn't seem to be an inherent issue with BOI and Android 13 on that basis, but perhaps there's something in Samsung's adapted android version?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

It's a BOI app issue, I've been testing all the apps that migrated across from the S7, with mixed success, I've had to remove and reinstall several in order to get them to work, but the normal exit works on the other apps I've been testing, but for reasons that remain unknown, the BOI all won't go away unless I close everything, and that's often not convenient.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland Reps

Good morning Irish Steve,

I am sorry to hear of the difficulties you have been experiencing. If you swipe up to view all of your open apps, you should have the facility to force close the BOI app from there. For further support, you can contact our customer service team on 0818200362. If you select option 3 you will get through to an agent who will be happy to assist you further.

Thanks, Megan

Advertisement