Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2023-24 Mod Note in op 27/6/23 And 21/05/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

United currently have 8 or 9 absentees, Johnny Evans is playing centre half. You think they should have come out all guns blazing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,302 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

The commentator is doing my head in any time someone shoots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

so you think they are playing ok? They are playing like my initial point like a team just wanting to hold on to a 0-0 draw like a lower league team would do in a cup game.

I am not expecting all guns blazing, but a few passes and looking like an actual football team would be a start.

I am a neutral here actually want united to win if i am honest but this is a one sided 0-0 and only one team really look like scoring and playing all the actual football.

If liverpool get one it will be 2 or 3…

I hope united hold on though as i said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

Not sure why Neville keeps lamenting szob being subbed off, he was really poor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,302 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

It should have been a United throw.

Cheap first and second yellow for a red. Harsh from Oliver.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭505_

Extremely harsh red card. Nunez sarcastic applause way more deserving a second yellow. Woeful result for liverpool against that Utd team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭This is it

Entertaining last 20/30 for the neutral, but overall pretty poor

Considering what nunez did in the first half after getting booked its annoying to see Dalot get the line for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Augme

A poor game for the neutral.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Very loose definition of the word 'Super' in today's Super Sunday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

Dreadful game, a game where both teams can come out of it feeling bad about themselves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

That was boring AF, as a neutral. Ridiculous that Dalot got sent off for that, and Nunez didn't. Joke of a decision from the ref. I'm assuming it can't be appealed either, as it was two yellows?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Game week 17 Table

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭Dingaan

Liverpool supporters in the stadium were very flat throughout the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭giveitholly

That poster hates Liverpool so I reckon he was trying to use reverse psychology,and it worked🤣🤣

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Truly forgettable game. So maly liverpool players were simply brutal. As a Spectacle, it completely flopped. 2 poinys dropped that Liverpool simply cannot afford to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Lol, Klopp absolutely bitch slapped Sky Sports there 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

Poor game. VVD head and shoulders above everyone on the pitch. Playing with the cheat codes again.

Aye, because he was under such pressure throughout. 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I enjoyed watching Brentford when they first came up, they played a hi energy attacking game , anytime I watch them now, its like the old Stoke.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Atter the late game I can't help but think it is mad to see the great powers of English football with the expensive prospects of Hojlund (no league goals yet) and Nunez (10 games without a goal in all comps) up front for the respective sides while Kane and Bellingham rip up Germany and Spain.

I know Bellingham is not an all out striker so McTominay is probably a better comparison but it is unusual that those two ended up at Real and Bayern before United or Liverpool got near them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,310 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Liverpool vs Utd is nearly always a terrible spectacle, its usually a really ugly game of football.

Last seasons game was the rare exception.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Very little entertainment.

Another overhyped Liverpool Utd game which failed to live up to expectations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

The question was something like: according to us, not you, you were expected to win this game handsomely after last year's 7-0 and the general form of both teams so far this season. Did that weigh on you today?

Klopp: you overestimate your influence, we don't listen to a single thing you say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

There are so many players in those teams that should be nowhere the two biggest clubs in the world’s richest league…..Onana, Nunez, Endo, Anthony….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

To be fair, there was an awful lot of talk about 1 of the 2 results from last season forced upon us in the last week.

As said earlier, very bad game. Which is out of the ordinary. There was a comment above about that being normal but it's not. Majority of recent games have been full of goals. Lots of 4-0,5-0,7-0s etc a few 2-1s thrown in. Has there only been 1 other 0-0 in the last 5 years out of 12 or so games?

Big gap in expectations of the 2 clubs given the reaction to the result.

Out of interest, for all the injuries and 'half a team' talk (admittedly on other social media platform and whatsapps etc), how many starters were missing for both? I don't think it's such a chasm as narrative would suggest.

That said, the Liverpool attack really need to click into fear, and fast. 4 games in a row now where they've been poor. Today is the first day it's cost them though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Augme

It was a great result by United. If anything going forward they should park the bus against most teams and hope to hit them on the counter. They'd likely be alot more successful that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

To be fair they have lost their star man on a ban which dictates their play.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I still don't think Villa are in a title challenge (CL contention yes, especially if 5 teams might get in) and won't unless we are still in this position in maybe 2 months....and for some reason I feel the need to point that out a lot too so people don't think I'm a delusional fan but...

If Arsenal and Liverpool draw next weekend and Villa win at home vs rock bottom Sheff Utd... Villa will be top of the Premier league for Christmas!

That is surreal as a Villa fan

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I don't think that here's a bigger cretin in the league than emi Martinez. Absolute chancer. Should have been sent off himself yesterday

Mbuemo is also injured. Their 2 focal points gone. They were hard done by in that match too at times.

Liverpool united game being the last game on motd2 is a telling factor in how shite it was

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

As a Liverpool fan, it was a performance coming as we have played like this a few times but due to getting a late goal then the result distracts from the performance.

Currently both Villa and Arsenal are playing much better as a team though it will be a big ask for Villa to maintain it, they definitely should be targeting a CL spot as the teams they are competing with are very poor.

In terms of the title then Arsenal have a great change but they brown pants it so badly last year then it will be more the mentality issue for them.

City are still favourite in my book as with a couple of key players to return, even if they play at 60% then that could be enough.

Villa could be top on Xmas day, they should definitely be top on Friday night, thrilled for Emery as he seems a class person and a brilliant coach, would love to see Villa last the course if we fall away.

Yes delighted for Emery,especially after the spell he had at Arsenal and some Arsenal fans openingly mocking him

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

It would be Karma personified if Emery led them to the title beating Arsenal by one point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

City will just go on one of those runs they always put together after Christmas and that will be that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

He indorwctly caused the red card for the Villa defender (konsa was it?). He escalated a nothing situation that caused a rumpus and gave the ref an opportunity to even it up at 10 v 10.

A liability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Lol Keanes comment, " 1 title in 33 years". What has that got to do with Van Dijk, he has won the PL recently.

Was called out rightly because the way VVD spoke, like it was their sides divine right to win. It was built up to be a battering to united but that wasn't the case. Dont score, you don't win.

Klopp was pretty bang on in his comments, didn't take their chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Roy Keane, who is very happy to constantly recall up the 'Lads, it's Tottenham' team talk that his manager used to give, is now offended by a perceived arrogance a player.

That Sky script writer certainly earned his pay cheque, and got his big clip played out by the actor anyways. Add that to the pre-calculated agenda stuff from Neville & Carragher in commentary, and it's easy see why Sky are losing subs. I always get the impression that they decide what they are going to say before the game, and then work that angle in as much as they can, no matter what is actually happening in the game. Neville is the worst for it, but both are guilty. Carragher couldn't wait to jump down Nunez's throat yesterday it was very obvious. Nunez played poor but their big hullaballoo about him not chasing down a ball that was going out for a corner was ridiculous. He was never reaching the ball and would have been running away from goal at a very tight angle at best if he did shoot. They were acting like it was an open goal, in the middle of the goal. It wasn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

So say you think hes arrogant, no need for the bitter comment. Liverpool haven't won the league in 3 years, United are going on 10 years, 33 years means nothing to VVD and this team.

Anyway thats what Keane is there for, sound bites.

Exactly,Sky are using Keane perfectly,get him to say something that is supposed to be controversial and its all over social media. That clip was all over twitter last night so sky got what they wanted.

When is the last time Keane actually did analysis of a game? He is just there as a puppet for sky and the irony of that is lost on him because he is taking the soup

Keane was being reactive to VVD being pro active in his comments.

Anyway not a big deal and sky is usually full of sound bites the last few years, Keane and Souness the main offenders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

I think it might need more than Karma. (and they'll be Kamara-less for 3 games now)

I don't see any depth in the Villa bench. They are a Watkins injury away from dropping off would be my guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

You are probably right but this is their worst start under Guardiola, and it looks like they have 2 serious rivals this season so can't just rely on Arsenal sh!tting the bed (Arsenal look a lot more resilient this year anyway).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Among all the wânky ref decisions yet again VAR's bizarre hatred of Wolves continues.

such a strange little subplot this year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I get the impression he is a mix between marmite and a Suarez/Bellamy type (but a goalie and sure goalies are a bit eccentric to begin with). By that I mean some love him (and really rate him), some hate him (and think he is overrated) and that in many ways he is a player you would love if he is on your team but he'd annoy the hell out of you as an opponent. A character, master of sh!thousery, the dark arts etc is often how players like him are described.

One thing is for sure, he is a player for big moments and as a Villa fan I love seeing him lining out for us even if we know he maybe is not the brightest and can be riled up (as seen in the situation yesterday).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement