Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2023-24 Mod Note in op 27/6/23 And 21/05/24

Comments

Exactly. He's useless even when he has replays FFS. Also using some Asian ref for the first time this weekend. Of course gets the worst fixture possible. Whatever happened to that black guy they gave a token game too a month or so back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,974 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

So you decide to criticise him because he got Ajax to a CL semi-final and didn't win it. That's funny.

And even funnier that you call that his one good season in the CL when he made the round of sixteen another year. The previous time they made the round of sixteen was 2006. The two years before he got there they didn't qualify for the group stages and it happened in his first year there but never again. And the last time Ajax made a semi-final before he got there was in the nineties.

He had success in the Champions against the best with a much smaller club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Pep ball is the same as Gaelic football. Paralysis by analysis leading to roboticness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

Yeah, no doubt Pep’s stuff is awful to watch. As for Rodri, he’s getting away with as much as Fernandinho did. But City make a play out of it excessive whinging to the referee any chance they get because they know it works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Ths game could be a double digit win if arsenal want it to be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,528 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

The wilder experiment has gone well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Don't try and compete because you have to sell your best players so the top six can stay the top six for ever. Joke of a league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Cut throat for the blades this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

The PL really isn’t in a healthy state in some ways. 4-0 after 24 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I agree it should have been more.

Five now though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

The promoted sides are dreadful, Leeds and Southampton will be better next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Shocking. SU and Burnley have added absolutely nothing to the league, at least Luton are well organised and give a good account of themselves in every game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Sheffield really looks like a team that it's in the Premier League by accident. Not even a basic positional awareness. At least Luton and (to some extent) Burnley give it a try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Arsenal, Aston Villa & Brighton have all score more goals than Sheff United in Bramall Lane in 2024.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Given the money in the league now, and the internationalist nature of it (World Cup winners playing for Forest, stuff like that), Sheffield United are arguably the worst ever side in the PL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Nice of you toassume Leeds won't screw it up. In fairness top of championship this year ismuch better than last year, 90 points likely won't be enough to go up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Are Derby a joke to you. What did they manage in their season? 11 or 12 points?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,625 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Holy crap . I knew it was 5-0 , but I didn't know it was only half time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The most impressive thing is Sheffield have always been defensive this year and generally do have a rake of bodies behind the ball.

But they are absolutely incapable of actually defending and teams just walk through them regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Derby have the record of most goals conceded of 89, reckon this lot beat that, (already on 71) they are every bit as poor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Game week 27 table

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Didn't Derby win once in September and not win again all season? They were a disaster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭IrishOwl...

If memory severs me right, 4 of their points came against the same side. I think it was Newcastle or maybe Everton!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭golfball37

Mick McCarthy had a Sunderland team far worse than the current sheff Utd side too. They were unlucky not to draw with Man City this season. At their best they are nowhere near that Derby team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Another big win for Arse. 24 goals in their last 5 league matches is absolutely insane. It would be great to see them pip City and LFC to the title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,046 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

"No easy games in the EPL".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭dinorebel

29 in the last 6 with 2 conceded not bad for a team that needs a striker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭IrishOwl...

I disagree, I'm still not over the Arsenal and UTD football "experts" from going to school in the 90's/00's!!! Anyone but those 2 in my books...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

The lesser of 3 evils alright. And that's saying something for the other 2 when it's Arsenal...

With City, there is always the * beside what they do. But nobody can never wish a club who got to their position by the means they did well. They represent a lot of what is wrong about where football is going.

With Liverpool, you'll never hear the end of it. They'll have Eno and MacAllister added into all-time PL XIs 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

"This means more"🤣

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Suvarnabhumi

😁

The fans might be unbearable, but those Arsenal v United titles were exciting to watch. Give me those two going head to head any day over the snoozefest we have to put up with now. The hatred between the two sets of players and the managers added to it. No hugging in the tunnel before those games!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

I always think the whole “you’ll never hear the end of it” thing is nonsense. I presume its that you’re a fan of a rival club and you have mates that you’ll have to see gloating?

And Liverpool have won one recently enough, if Arsenal win their first title in 20 years then I fully expect them to bang on about it, proper order too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

It absolutely is nonsense.

A perception that is just he product of the echo chamber effect of social media imo.

If Liverpool could be the only team to stop City (for a second time) over a 7 year period then it would certainly mean a hell of a lot.

I understand the tribalism nonsense above but it would have been 6 years of progression to date if it hadn't been for Liverpool blowing everyone out of the water one year and at least sticking with City til the death for another two.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

It's gas Utd fans on here talking about never hearing the end of it if Liverpool won when they were all full of the gloating through the 90's and 00's in particular. Why did the term ABU become a thing I wonder. It had nothing to do with the Utd players or the club itself and everything to do with gloating fanbase. It's not a phenomenon unique to Liverpool fans you know.

As for the jibe about Endo and MacAllister being in an all time Prem 11, I still remember a Utd fan I know well insisting Michael Carrick was a greater player than Steven Gerrard. Even the other Utd fans had to tell him to cop on. He then doubled down on it and the reason he continued to give was that Carrick had won league titles so had to be better. There are crazies among every fanbase.

Absolute nonsense and then proceeds to type a paragraph about how we should be grateful for the mighty Liverpool 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

As someone who hates both clubs equally I dont think its such a ridiculous argument although I probably would choose Gerard.

• Advertisement

How long ago was that? Let it go. The amount of childhoods United have ruined for those born between 1980-1990

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

Oh I have let it go, simply pointing out the unbearable tag is not unique to Liverpool fans.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Dunno about that. You've won one PL title like and yet VVD is the best CB in the history of the PL. Although if you really want unbearable, look at us crypto boys. It's about to go crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Lauras Law

it's almost as bad as the poster a few weeks ago who was suggesting that all 10 stadiums should organise a co-ordinated minute applause for Klopp on the final day of the season!

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

Everyone wants their club to win the league and if not then they want Man City to win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Its refreshing to come in here every now and again and see that everything revolves around Liverpool and Manchester United. One year ago to the day I would say, yes, they certainly were front and centre, in a game never to be forgotten.

I was actually looking at the other end of the table. Last night, on the BBC, they were saying you might end up with 23-24 teams as the basis for the Premier League, with the relegated teams being in a strong position to come straight back up, more often than not. It certainly looks that way this season, but I don't know how much fun it would be for the promoted sides to see which of them was going to score less than 20 points after promotion. Real yo-yo stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

More pointing out the competitive edge contributed to the league in recent years.

It's worth something alright - dunno about the words you've actually typed though - do they reflect what I said or is that tribalism again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

If England had dropped Gerrard for Carrick they might have won something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭NITRO95

If you wanted someone to contribute to a functional midfield you'd have Carrick. If you wanted a match winner further up the pitch then you'd have Gerrard. I don't think that's a particularly controversial opinion to hold

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

Premier league is not that competitive, the odd time it is was when Liverpool got within a point in 2 years, last year it looked like it would be but that faded very quickly. This year is unique in recent years with 3 teams involved though if City win their next 2 games the bookies will be paying out:)

City have won 5 of the last 6 titles with an average of just over 91pts. From 2006/7 for the next 10 years or so, no team reached that average.

Currently there are really only 2 teams that you could make a case for to get close to 90pts, when Klopp leaves the pressure on whoever comes in will likely reduce that to one team being Arsenal who have won one trophy since Arteta took over.

The outsider looking in would see it as not being competitive, important City do not win the league as they will buy the likes of Musiala or Paqueta or both:) and could win for several more years in a row.

No chance they will be relegated or even given a points deduction, possibly a massive fine but UAE have invested massively in the UK in recent years so the UK government would get involved behind the scenes should any attempts be made to relegate City. To be fair that is how the world spins, billions talk and all that:)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement