Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2023-24 Mod Note in op 27/6/23 And 21/05/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I'd definitely rather Arsenal win it over City. I'd rather anyone (except Newcastle) win it over City... I've all the usual sporting rivalries for most clubs, but I can't stand City and Newcastle's state owned mechanisms. That fundamentally cynical and rotten aspect elevates my dislike for them over any more emotionally based rivalries.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

we all have different opinions:) I will leave my reasons out as otherwise there will be several replies from Arsenal fans, after City play us and Arsenal the picture should be a lot clearer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Personally my interest starts and finishes with Arsenal. If Arsenal aren’t in contention then I don’t really care who wins it. Yes, if you pushed me and asked would I rather Pool won ahead of City then I’d agree but I’m not going to be shouting for them in any way shape or form

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

This would be the way I'd feel also if Liverpool were not involved. I'd prefer any team to win it over City or Utd but it wouldn't motivate me to go supporting those other teams.

There is always a small part of fanbases that take the tribalism too far. Was in a pub on the last day of season 2 years ago among large contingent of Liverpool fans. Not long after City regained top spot on the day about 10-12 Utd fans entered the pub to roar on City to the end and make sure they were heard. Seemed petty to me and an example of tribalism taken too far.

Ah yeah - support is a different thing. I wouldn't necessarily be actively supporting any non-Liverpool team, but I find it a far more interesting season to keep track of if there's a bit of drama and contest there in the closing stages. Some of those close-run Utd Arsenal seasons were very memorable and entertaining, even without actively supporting either side. There's drama, and emotion, and conflict. Someone walking a title is just dull, with a season trailing off a whimper (except for the teams own fans of course).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I don't have any respect for Man City or Chelsea. Newcastle are starting to full under the category. The other clubs you know will have earned it if they win the league, no matter who it is. Chelsea seem to get a free pass with all their past sportswashing, because of what City are at now.

I wouldn't be supporting the other clubs but you know that they will have won it fairly, which has to be somewhat commended in an age of financial cheating. But you won't see me rushing to shout it from the rooftops!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Some people just like to bil1tch and. Moan about stuff..... If you hate everyone and every club, then perhaps football isn't for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Last season I was up for Arsenal and if Liverpool can't win it will support them over city.

Arguably the pool Arsenal rivalry is historically bigger but can't stand how city have got away with their finances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

City are so hollow in everything they do. The entire club is a fraud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

As an Arsenal fan, if we're not winning it, then I want city to win it. It's like a default win that doesn't affect me. I know no one who's a city supporter so it means I wouldn't have to listen to the nonsense I would have to if Liverpool won. Most Liverpool fans I know are insufferable, so having to listen to them if they had any success in the league would be torture. City winning the league has zero affect on me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭IrishOwl...

You're probably one of the most insufferable posters on here, so I'd imagine that feeling is mutual among Liverpool fans...🤣🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭DvB

ditto on the first line. If Arsenal aren't involved I don't really care who wins it.

For me I actually have a grudging respect for United over the others though, in the 90's/00's when both clubs were going head to head as the big 2 I hated them, but as I grew older & both fell away to allow the financially doped Chelsea & then City come to the fore I grew to dislike the perceived 'bought' success (funnily enough with Chelsea moreso than City) more. Looking back with more mature eyes I respected what united had built and managed to sustain over that period through more traditional routes shall we say.

Since those heady days, I actually grew used to Arsenal being so off the pace in terms of challenging that I had accepted the new order of things & just expected City to dominate for a sustained period and not knowing any genuine City supporters amongst my social & work groups it was less intrusive on me so I simply stopped caring. Even this year, if Arsenal don't win it I really have no preference as to who does.

I must admit though, I don't feel the same about my primary team, I have been travelling up & down Ireland supporting them through thick & thin for 40+ years now & the rivalries with the other LOI teams definitely have more bite for me, even in the years we were off the pace I would 100% had a preference between the teams competing for honours as to who won any given piece of silverware. I simply don't see that ever changing, especially with the personalities involved within my social circles.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

The only thing I will add to the 'which group of fans are more obnoxious debate' is that there are only two incidents in my fairly sheltered life watching games that I saw aggression in a pub, and it both involved Liverpool fans. One of them even took exception to a lad cheering after backing first goalscorer in a game.

I asked a Pool fan the other day are they hoping United get a positive result against City to help their title charge. Not a bit of it. Weird lot.

those sound like two weird people, rather than being in any way representative of millions of people… people are people, you’ll have stuff in common with some of them, you’ll have nothing in common with some of those, and others will come across to you as total ****. Liking the same bunch of lads that run around after a ball in the same jersey is probably the least defining characteristic of a person.

aggression in a pub, who would have thought it🤣

You clearly ignored every Liverpool fan on this forum last week hoping Utd would do Liverpool a favour…

Post edited by doc_17 on

Only twice you have witnessed aggression in pubs!!! Ill take you to Sheffield for a match some time, an eye opener... 🤣🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I said in my fairly shelthered life where I wouldn't be near any city for a real premier league match. Its only a game at the end of the day.

Always sticks with me. As does my bias Liverpool supporting mate who claims Charlie Adam and Andriy Vorninin where better than Carrick and Nani.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Back up the mountains with you and your mad mates.

Jasus Charlie Adam!!! I have to admit, my memories of Vorninin are vague, which probably says more about him than me....

This Everton defending is as bad as you’ll see. City don’t slide tackle any more. There’s a reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

It’s a comically bad game in terms of quality, bar the well executed penalties, but entertaining in a keystone cops way. Second half could die a death though unless the toffees can somehow magic up a finish.

11 games since Everyone last won. A brutal style of play to go with it. Must be tough to be a supporter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Agreed. They chased and harangued one of the few talents that they actually had, and sent him off to Newcastle.

• Advertisement

TNT presenter “Ashley Young still going strong”. I think I’d have stopped saying words after “going”.

If Luton do lose today then I think Everton will be ok as long as Everton don't lose to Luton later in the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,679 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I love a last minute goal. Fair play Luton!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,975 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

He's been very poor this season anytime I've seen him play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Ben White would want to lay of that fake tan, he looks like he's been tangoed!

Arsenal should be comfortable now after they got the first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Arsenal really want a penalty in this game. Must be the 4th or 5th time they're appealing for one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,679 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I was sure he was out creosoting timber, never even thought a chap could be using the fake tan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭Xander10

Alan Smith adds nothing on co-commentary, but is particularly insufferable on Arsenal games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Rice is super. Certainly challenging Rodri for the status of best midfielder in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

The most enjoyable thing about this game is watching the Arsenal crowd and bench lose their sh1t any time a Brentford player goes down. They love wasting time themselves, but they don't like it themselves it seems - didn't gives the ball back a few minutes ago when it was put out for what looked like a genuine injury but that's Ok I guess

Arsenal not playing well, but with Nathan Collins on the field they always have a chance.

I think Havertz has been lucky not to be sent off for that dive there 10 minutes ago. Ref clearly thought there was contact and obviously after VAR say there's no contact he can't go back and book him for diving.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Blatant dive and should have been sent off. Lucky boy.

He was destined to score afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭505_

Typical he’d score after getting away without getting a second yellow for a blatent dive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭McBain11

It shows up the rotten VAR setup when you have a scenario where Havertz is openly cheating by diving attempting to con a penalty, the VAR knows this is the case, yet cannot do a single thing about it.

It's probably the only thing that a video system should be used for, black and white diving and cheating like that. Yet here we are years later and players like Havertz are diving more than ever, as they know there is zero risk to doing so.

The game is actually rotten at this stage and the rules are built for cheaters like Havertz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

There's no better player in a BIG game that Havertz.

Phenomenal

Wrong and wrong. A dive is always a yellow card.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

You were playing Brentford so hardly a big game and you're just posting this because a few people above have said he should have been sent off which he probably should have been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

What an absolutely ridiculous comment. Only recently when starting the team sheet came out in the Liverpool game , arsenal fans were in meltdown moaning about him .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Trossard pulled back by an arm around the neck. Gabriel had the shorts pulled off him in injury time, Brentford were pulling and dragging and the ref and Tierney on VAR let them away with it as well. But yeah let's just focus on the one incident. His first yellow was questionable too tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭McBain11

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

The Gabriel incident have had minimal penalties awarded in similar situations all season so that's to be expected. I didn't notice the Trossard one so I can't comment.

Neither of those incidents make any difference to the fact that Havertz dived, should have had a second yellow and been sent off though. Arsenal got lucky in this instance.

• Advertisement

Havertz also in added time slows down a Brentford throw in by bringing the ball back on to the field. But that dive should have been a second yellow. Lucky.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement