Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2023-24 Mod Note in op 27/6/23 And 21/05/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,976 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Arsenal not winning the league last season didn’t hinge on Saliba. His injury didn’t help their cause but the squad just wasn’t good enough over the course of the season and that really showed st the business end. Their best streak last season was 7 wins in the league. City won 12 in a row

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Arsenal won 21 of 27 games when Saliba was fit & won 5 from 11 when he wasn't. There was a big swing in form, and number of goals conceded from the point of when Saliba got injured. And Tomiyasu tbf, as Ben White could have played CB but was needed to play RB.

21 wins from 27 games is excellent form. Arsenal were 5 points ahead of City before this run of games directly after the Saliba injury. This run of games cost Arsenal the league IMO, not a random draw in October. After this run, Arsenal were 2 points behind City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Of course but again, it was more to do with lacking strength in depth than any one player being out injured. People can bemoan the timing of Saliba’s injury but I always felt they’d come up short last season tbh. City were never far enough behind and might have had a game in hand and, like on Sunday, Arsenal still had to play City away from home having beaten them in the previous 11 league meetings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

btw I don't think there's any shame in a fan saying that injuries cost them. Some people like to say that it's making excuses but I don't really agree with that.

Depending on the squad size, quality & depth and player importance, one injury can derail a team. For other clubs, it can take more players. Last season, Arsenal missing one CB was a major factor. Could they handle it better this season? I think so, mainly because Kiwior is more settled and then White can also move in if needed with Tomiyasu around and then Timber but he has been unavailable thus far (and not missed one could say). Would one CB injury derail Man City? Probably not. Would a Rodri injury derail them? I think so. the KDB injury hasn't really affected Man City as they have quality players in that area of the pitch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Couple of early goals in the 12.30 kickoff, can see there being more also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Bruno Guimaraes really does seem to have a bit of the Rodri about him, in terms of referees unwillingness to book him anywhere near as they should for the amount of fouling he does.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Newcastle would want a long hard look at themselves. Acting the bollox every week and then playacting and whinging to the referee when it doesn't go there way

• Registered Users Posts: 13,151 ✭✭✭✭JRant

That's hilarious, they actually wanted the game stopped for someone feigning a head injury in the lead up to the goal. I'm glad the ref wasn't having any of it.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

this is yer man faking a head injury to try to prevent the quick free? fair play to the ref.

• Advertisement

Not the first time the ref didn't stop play for that sort of thing anyway, only stayed down as was way out of position and west ham took full advantage

He had plenty of time to get up and mark Kudus though. Staying down for 2/3 minutes pretending you're injured when it's obvious that he was barely touched is downright embarassing. Howe should be fuming at his own player more than the ref.

Yeah. Some excellent refereeing to be fair. PEnalty was soft but it was a silly/lazy tackle. Gordon is probably going to tumble over no matter what but he waited at least.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Bowen scores a great breakaway goal from a Newcastle corner. Brilliant stuff from west Ham. 1-3 and I doubt they have stopped scoring - Newcastle a bit all over the place, expect the Boos to come if the Hammers go 1-4

Far easier just to blame the ref, was good to see the ref not put off by the antics

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

A fair few injuries for Newcastle, any more and they go down to 10.

That's never a peno. Gordon foot blocks Phillips' there, should have been a free out.

are these pens these days? thought with vardy a few years back they were no longer a thing. essentially planting your foot in front of someone about to kick the ball.

ref was called over so will be given.

Some not so excellent refereeing there unfortunately.

Gordon blocks Phillips foot rather than tries to play the ball - that's a free out, never a pen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭mobydopy

Philips nightmare at West Ham continues

Never a pen that though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I don't want to be seeing penalties given for that.

Laws of the game applied with not much consideration for the playing of the game.

He clearly fouled Phillip's, scandalous decision

these cynical fouls are out of control. gordon just grabbed kudos with 2 arms by the shoulders and pulled him back.

i suppose ref's just need to be consistent with giving yellows for them irrespective where on the pitch or when in the game.

3-3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭hawaii501

DIsgraceful pen, if he connects with the ball fair enough but he blocked his foot so surely a free out?

Just because he rolled around the ground as usual. Hope West Ham hold on, Newcastle are a horrible club.

Laws of the game? That's a free for Phillip's anywhere els3 on the pitch. It's not like Gordan nicked the ball. He just blocked Phillip's foot.

Well the ref and the video ref are looking at it saying Phillips kicked Gordon, which he did. Laws of the game applied in that sense.

If you consider how he kicked him it is totally different and shows a lack of understanding of playing the game.

It has cost West Ham big time here.

barnes very close to a newcastle winner there

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭NITRO95

Newcastle are such a loathsome club, group of players and management team.

I would love West Ham to nick it at the end 3-4, I've a growing dislike for Newcastle.

4-3 newcastle

Once again, Kalvin Phillips has made West Ham a far worse team when on the pitch. Dreadful cameo

I've no idea what the ref was thinking? Phillip's is in control of the ball and Gordan just blocks his foot and never played the ball. It's bizarre stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

It's the second time since the new year that we've had a penalty given against us by VAR after our player was fouled. Not to mention the numerous disallowed goals by VAR and the blatant handballs not given. If Gordon nicked the ball and Phillips caught him, it's a penalty.

We've shat the bed but the VAR officials and the referee gave Newcastle the lifeline for whatever reason. Only they know. No one will face any repercussions, the same officials will be back making the same dreadful decisions week after week.

Kalvin Phillips has to be a contender for one of the worst modern day PL transfers

gordon sent off just as he is awarded MOTM

Commentator didn't even know that Gordon got a second yellow for kicking the ball away. Correct decision.

Don't necessarily agree that the second peno was a free out, but it's 100% not a penalty. IT's among the worst decisions that I think I've ever seen and it's now opened a whole thing that players can be just dishonest about what their intent is in playing for the ball

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭Pipmae

Never a penalty - cracking game though.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

As a football fan I don’t like seeing penalties given for incidents like that, it’s not a valid “foul” but it seems to be the way the modern game has gone. If I get my foot in between you & the ball I’ll get a penalty, it’s all I have to do.

As a Newcastle fan..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Phillips best bet was to stay City mascot and live off his Leeds reputation thus stay safely in the England squad for the Euros. By actually having to try and play in 2024 he has played himself off the plane and unless he goes back to being City's mascot next year, or Leeds take him back he'll have an awful hard time finding a new club.

His best performance was getting sent off to save West Ham looking at him the next game. Absolute Bramble/Boumsongesque liability.

So weird to see Newcastle 4 points behind MUFC having played a game more considering the difference in how the teams are talked about. The English/EPL media are far too soft on Howe and Newcastle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,716 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Unbelievable officiating

The game is gone. VAR has failed again. Weak refereeing. Shocking stuff for "the best league in the world".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

so now you can blindside tackle a players foot as he is kicking the ball and it’s a foul to you. Right………

As a Spurs fan the result suits but that was one of the worst decisions I’ve ever seen.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

I'd love to hear your thought process. If Gordon had slid in from a distance and gotten his foot between the ball and Phillips' in the same position, it'd be a free out all day long. Gordon hasn't touched the ball, Phillips is in control of it and has been blocked illegally from clearing it.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

He doesn't try to play the ball. He tries to block the kick. Free out. Not related to a pen.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Early lead for Luton.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement