Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2023-24 Mod Note in op 27/6/23 And 21/05/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Villa were 2 up, but 2 quick goals make it 2-2. Villa park in silence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭mobydopy

3-2 Brentford, what a comeback

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Bluebb993

Another 2 assists for regululion. United could do with him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

What? Who was saying this? I've heard and read nothing but praise for Wolves this year. People have been talking about Gary O' Neil having an outside shot for the Manager of the year award. Definitely not the prevailing narrative that Wolves are having a bad season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Toney (who didn't start) & Collins had a vocal argument at the end of the game. Great to see none of this covering-of-the-mouth stuff (however I am no lip-reader). Toney did give graphical help with his fingers as he mouthed 3-3!

Don't know who the 2 bozos were, one of them was a former Burnley player (Tracey?) and another lad too, but or wasn't challenged which made me wonder what was driving the chat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭Dan Steely

Is Ferguson injured or dropped from the squad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

injured. missed the Brentford game with it too.. think its just a knock though, not too serious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

He won the ball, not rocket science

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Silly tackle

Dumb, and the only thing dumber is Lee Dixon talking about it not a foul. An I'm no Arsenal fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭finno

it's a pen stupid tackle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

You make a great tackle, win the ball, and it's still a penalty. No way Liverpool get that, hell we can get a karate kick to the chest and still not get a penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,716 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Just a case of the onfield decision being backed by VAR.

If the ref hadn't given it, it wouldn't have been overturned.

Whether you think it's a pen or no, at the very, very least…….the ref should be made go over to the monitor for those. Decision shouldn't lie with VAR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,111 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Anyone claim it's not a penalty needs to have a word with themselves. Could've very easily been an ankle breaker the impact was that strong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Pen for me too tbf

He didn't won the ball though. He grazed the ball on the way to creaming Jesus out of it with a kick. 100% foul, and as I say I'm not biased towards arsenal at all. Mr Brooks has been kind to Arsenal in general though, he's allowing a lot of blocking and cynical fouls on the break, but that's pat for the course.

Ehh, look at the state of the tackle. You have got to be blind to say it's anything other than a peno

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I think it's a blatant penalty.

I also wish that referees / VAR would give it consistently and not use the 'got a touch' excuse to not give the penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

It's absolutely a penalty. But not every ref gives it to every team.

That's the issue.

Surely that tweet is taking the piss with sarcasm about Doku

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭djan

Clear penalty and quite naive of Lamptey to take such a swipe at Jesus when there was another Brighton defender beside him.

Just beuaces you brush the ball doesn't mean you can take out someone's leg. Thankfully this has approach has been implemented in the rules of the game years ago.

Good game so far with plenty of chances so hopefully a lively second half.

Haha, Ben White, what an embarrassing dive to try to get the Brighton player sent off. Should be a yellow for white,

Great win for Arsenal. Be some achievement if they do it.

Arsenal not having to get out of third gear again.

Bodes very well you'd probably say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

You are trying to cover all the bases in that post which is ridiculous. Van Gaal won the league in his previous season in club football. Yes he was out of club football for a few years but in that time he brought a very average Dutch team to a world cup semi-final.

Mourinho had never failed to win a league title at any of his previous clubs. You saying you thought it wouldn't work out means you completely dismiss history and experience of winning titles.

In your world nobody would sign a world class player who had a strop because his history and experience means nothing.

There's been issues with players at United pretty much all through the post-Ferguson era. Why has this been happening? Is it because somebody has a problem with the manager, which happens, and when he goes to talk to somebody else they aren't football people and can't sort it out and cause bigger problems?

This is part of what I think has been going on at United.

To dismiss Van Gaal and Mourinho as you have is ridiculous.

Dismissing Mourinho's time there as you have is very odd, it's like the Europa League means nothing and a runner-up finish in the league meant nothing.

Van Gaal won the FA Cup and things looked to be improving under him but that wasn't enough for the boys upstairs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Lets just be clear, I said I think ETH is a good manager, I didn't make a statement of fact as you seem to suggest in your post.

You can't do anything at the expected United level at West Ham. Moyes has done a great job at West Ham which compares him favourably to anything that's been done at United since he left when we consider the large gap in budgets etc.

I suspect the problems at United have been upstairs and it looks like that's about to be sorted out with an experienced professional sports man now in charge of the club.

Van Gaal and Mourinho couldn't win a league title there. Some people are quick to dismiss as them as bad managers which is ludicrous.

So ETH is getting the same opinion from those same people. I'd just like to see him get a year in a guaranteed proper set up to see how he does. Then we'll know if it was upstairs that caused the problems or the actual manager that is the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

A lot of this is just going to be opinions - mine just differ from yours, no need for the ridicule.

I think Van Gaal was a fantastic innovative coach in his younger years. I really like the guy, think he's a lovely chap and one of the greats in his prime, and I think he was still an alright coach at 62, but far from where he used to be. I think taking 3 years out of the club game entirely at that stage is huge. I think he did alright, about what you'd expect from a guy of his age and standing at that stage of his career. A stable hand after Moyes. Was hard to see an innovative resurgence under him though. The slightly slower pace of international ball suited him better at that stage I think - was still a good international coach when he went back to NL after.

That Mourinho title thing is a weird thing to be throwing your hat on… I think, sure, he could still have won a league somewhere (a Juve, or Bayern for instance) - just not a hope with Utd as they were at the time, with Pep joining City. Do you honestly reckon had Utd not 'ruined' him as you say, that he'd have gone and won a league with Spurs afterwards? I don't think a league title inside 3 years was ever realistic - and he's never lasted anywhere longer than 3 years.

During that second Chelsea stint he became a parody of his worst attributes (vindictively setting out to destroy Eva Carneiro's career being a weird low point), and there's been no going back since. You mentioned Utd ruining him - imo during that second Chelsea stint he ruined himself. The trend of coming in full of bombast and getting a solid rise in performances before exploding and leaving in flames became his trademark - which he did at Chelsea, then Utd, then Spurs in quick succession. And he also did alright at Utd in that 'up' spell before the implosion, with a few nice cup wins, but there was - for me - never any hope of him being the one to set them up for the longer term. I never felt there was any chance 'utd would be back' under him. The implosion was always coming.

I'm really not sure what you mean by 'dissmissing' Van Gaal. As I said in both posts, I think Van Gaal did alright, and probably deserved another season, but he was I think past his best by then. Top level football moves on. Same for Mourinho (though with him it's as much his ever-increasingly bitter destructive attitude as it is football's evolution). Both perhaps the right guys at the wrong time in their careers - but by the time Mourinho in particular joined there was little chance of him becoming a platform they could build from. He just wasn't that kind of guy. He doesn't leave platforms. He leaves scorched earth.

Post edited by ~Rebel~ on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

I didn’t think the Gvardiol one was a stonewall penalty, but it’s another one that goes in favour of City. They’ve probably had 115 of those too over the last number of years.
    The Arsenal one is interesting, just because you get the ball doesn’t mean it’s not a penalty. Ben White should be hit with a charge for that dive. People will say he’s embarrassed himself but he won’t be.

Post edited by doc_17 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

I don’t know, but it’s something that isn’t as much of a factor now that VAR is in I suppose as the ref has a little help.
    Heard on The Athletic podcast this week that Casemiro missed 31 games tnrough injury in his 9 seasons at Real. He’s already missed 19 games this season alone due to injury.

It seemed like he made contact with White so while he made a meal of it, it technically wasn't a dive. This happens pretty much every match so not a big deal, just a tad embarrassing but it's all done to get under the skin of the opposition.

• Advertisement

It's blantant cheating and a 3 game ban must be applied if it's still in effect.

Not my images or data, but I found these interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Bans for diving only tend to appear if they've actually successfully conned the ref, so would more happen if player got sent off/gave away a penalty. I didn't see full White incident, but did player get booked at the time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

don’t think I’d have Thiago in the best 11. Matip and Konate are a toss up but I’d reckon their figures would be similar.

I wouldn't either, but I think the general point stands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,111 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

The general point is that it's nonsense. Partey starts for Arsenal all day when fully fit.

The Liverpool team is skewed to maximise the agenda that they have lots of injuries. Liverpool have lots of injuries, then don't need to create nonsense like this to show it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I’d have partay in arsenals best 11 too I think.
    Apart from Thiago not seeing how the Liverpool best 11 is skewed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Up to this season yes but Rice Jorginho has been a very effective partnership. Not convinced Partey is a dead cert for the first 11 now.

I can tell you're just on a wind up but if making the most of contact would lead to 3 game bans there would be very little players left to play the games. Sure the likes of Bruno Fernandes and Gabriel Jesus would hardly get a game 😂

Have you not seen the clip. You don't ever go down like that in real life, tis my number #1 pet peeve and it's even creeping into gaa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭TheRona

The reality with Arsenal is that certain players have stepped up and cemented themselves into the first 11. Players like Partey, Jesus and Zinchenko would have been dead certs for the starting 11, but now you have the likes of Jorginho, Havertz and Kiwior deserving their places. I would actually have Tomi in our strongest 11 as well.

Thiago in there is hypothetical it's definitely Endo now.

Its a shame to have been missing Robbo and Trent for so long, they are two of our biggest attacking outlets. Matip is just incredible when fit, like another midfielder.

Incant below well we've managed Ali's absence but Jota is probably the biggest loss. We just aren't anywhere near as clinical without him.

This is the most pointless debate I've ever seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I agree. Also how can you tell if some of the injuries and down to poor management of players from the S&C team which makes it the clubs own fault

Some of them might be being punished for sins in a past life as well, sure, you just never know

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement