Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2023-24 Mod Note in op 27/6/23 And 21/05/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,200 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yeah, like looking through that and some of the other forbes articles it references, it looks like a lot of their info is coming from declared figures - which makes total sense of course, as normally there's no better source than a company's own public statements of finances. But we're in a conundrum here, when we know there's so so many charges intimating that those figures may not be accurate. So it's kinda hard to take anything related to City at full face value until we know the extent of their shenanigans.

They're definitely growing, they're definitely now 'big', but exactly to what extent is still a bit of a "?" I think.

Forbes seem to recognise this themselves too, as in each team's 'valuation page', all the others have a little blurb about the accounts, talking through increases or decreases, and reasons for them etc — whereas the Man City one ignores all that nuance and analysis, and only talks about all the charges;

"In February, Manchester City was charged by the Premier League with over 100 alleged breaches of it's financial fair play rules. The charges date from 2009, a year after Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan bought the team, to 2018, a period that saw the club win three league titles, and a fourth in the 2018/19 season. The Premier League says Man City failed to provide accurate financial reports, specifically regarding sponsorship revenue, its related parties, and its operating costs. The league has also accused the club of failing to disclose contractual payments to players and managers, as well as failing to abide by both the Premier League and UEFA's financial control regulations. Reports state the investigation into the charges will take between two and four years"

https://www.forbes.com/teams/manchester-city/?sh=480d3b301273

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Yep finding that too, my eldest and his mates are obsessed with Saka in particular funnily enough. Haven't seen any Saudi jerseys round this neck of the woods just yet. A few Mbappe and Messi ones though for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Never seen a City jersey in Ireland?

I find that hard to believe. I saw one yesterday in my estate; bunch of local kids playing football on the green.

I grew up in a town where there were nine City fans in total. We all had City tops, a mixture of Philips & Brother sponsors. At the time, supporters' clubs would advertise in the Evening Herald. I think there were eight City clubs in Ireland at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Your Dad was a City supporter, or your Mam order the wrong Manchester top?😊

Only joking, and as a Forest fan I'm even in a smaller group (2/3 in our tow, by chance), but was in the Forest Ireland supports club and went to a few matches with them in the 90s.

Why Forest for me?

Well my parents were not into sport and I was probable 14 at the time. Everyone was supporting the big teams liverpool, man U, etc, and I just wanted something different.

Roy Keane was there at the time and Clough and just seemed to like the whole story behind Forest, and yes I'm sure even robin hood himself (Kevin Costner), or maybe Maid Marian, probably made me say, oh that's all part of Nottingham 😁

Of course they got relegated that season , but it's always been an exciting journey. Haven't been over in a while, last time was a last day championship relegation match against ipswich which we one and ended up on the pitch.

I remember in the 90 the sports shop in Waterford (Alfie's) had to put in special order to get me the Forest Top.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

There's a decent amount of "older" city fans. I know more Man City fans of a certain age than I do Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs. Manchester has a huge Irish diaspora and I think a lot of people of a certain generation came home supporting Manchester City.

My grandfather was a City fan. He used to go Old Trafford one week, Maine Road the other, whichever Manchester team was playing at home. It was very common to do that, attend both but you had your favourite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,350 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

nice goal by gvardiol getting into the box

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,764 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Its a title race on paper, but it doesn't really feel like one..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

My cousin was the big influence. He was ten years older than me and chose City when they won the League in 1968. The one that hardly anybody remembers because United winning the European Cup dominated the headlines. I started getting interested when they pushed Liverpool to the 1977 League title, only missing out by one point. By the time Malcolm Allison took over as manager, I was hooked. My cousin moved to Manchester in 1980 and became a season ticket holder so I used to go over to Maine Road every year or two once I was old enough.

There were two Forest fans in my class in primary school and I know of a few others.

Alfie Hale's shop - I bought my City Brother top in 1988 from there!

Still can't top the Division 2 play-off final against Gillingham in 1999. What a game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,342 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Only a question of how many City want to win by. Coasting to the title now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,996 ✭✭✭doc_17

£90m gets you decent defenders these days. Pep the coaching genius….

and completely inflated the transfer market while they were at it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,342 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

City passing the ball with complete control and impunity at times. Fulham offering little or no resistance.

A City corner near the end saw 1 Fulham player trying to mark Haaland and Rodri on his own, looked like a metaphor for the gulf in class.

Still only 1-0 though and the longer it stays like that, Fulham will believe they have a chance but I cannot see anything but more of the same in the second half and a comfortable 3 or 4 nil result.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Bluebb993

I remember a few years ago Sterling was still up for YPOTY and he had already played more PL games then Vidic did in his whole career in the PL

Rodri is now on something like a 70 games unbeaten streak. Man city's last 5 losses - rodri was not playing. He is the most important cog in that team

Don't care about either of these but I thought their English commentators were bad.

as red as can be.

as an aside, that peno the ref just gave to celtic was a big dive after the attacker instigated the contact. peno missed anyway.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

gvardiol is the new Gundogan in the run in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,179 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Lol at anyone who said City were different this year and wouldn't steamroll everyone in the run in. They're gonna end up with a better goal difference than Arsenal too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,212 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Arsenal have potential to rack up a few goals against Man Utd to claw it back.

Although with the amount of times that ETH has made reference to 'we should have beaten Arsenal (in the 3-1 loss)', they must fancy themselves to win that game!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,574 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

The Premier League haven't the guts to address even one of the 115 charges against City before final game of the season, the PL is a joke. 9 seasons of cheating, and nothing has been done.

They should have had 10 pt deduction this season, same as the minnows the PL loves to pick on.

As for the joy on Anthony Taylor's face with every goal City scored today, this League is so obvious.

From the cheating , to the obvious love and hate from the officials for certain clubs, this League is rigged to its core.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Luton ahead early, hopefully can hang on now amd considering west ham have been awful lately, it gives them a chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,563 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

The rest of the teams in the league are toothless, absolutely useless.

Just roll over every week against City.

They seem to relish playing other teams though.

I see Citys 90m defender has finally come good.

3 million less then Anthony and has more goals then him from left back this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭klose

Reminds of Utd under fergie, teams bet before the team bus even arrived on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

How many points were Everton deducted this season, 10+?

They'd be fighting for Europa conference league if they hadn't had those deductions no?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Arsenal have a horrific record at Old Trafford, but I wouldn't begrudge them a victory tomorrow to keep it alive.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Yup. Must be nice to be able to cheat to the title.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

They had 10 points taken off but got 4 back before another 2 were taken off so 8 points in all.

They would be 6 points behind United as it stands if they had the 8 points back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,563 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

You'd always get teams that would raise their game against Utd, it would be their cup final.

Southampton, Newcastle, Everton.

Too many teams in the Premier League are trying to play the same style now, alot struggle to work the ball out from the back which is meat and drink to a team like City.

Its boring.

that spurs goal is good for arsenal. you want spurs to still have a chance at 4th going up against city on tuesday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,179 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Or do you want them still having a chance of finishing 6th?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

That all depends on what Liverpool team turns up on Monday night V Villa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,712 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Interesting to see how Villa play that - they technically need two points, so might go into this thinking one now and one on the final day. if Spurs lose in the mean time, doesn't matter.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,214 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Based on the last few performances of both Spurs and City I can only see one outcome.

Hope I'm proven wrong...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Villa will finish 4th..no doubts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I will have doubts until the moment it is mathematically confirmed. City will be 3 nil up in the 60th minute and I won’t be able to relax

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Hes a class act but the guy that gets very little credit and he's just as important is Bernardo Silva.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,214 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Nicholas Jackson is very raw. Lots of work required to make him an effective striker.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

As a Villa fan I expect nothing from our game against Liverpool as our team of walking wounded were already out on our feet last week when we lost to a poor Brighton side before playing Thursday while Pool got back to winning ways then had a full week off.

3 ACLs (Beundia, Mings and Kamara) and Ramsey essentially being out all season as well as all the extra european games has seen Villa's players playing way more games than expected with little rotation. Then when you throw in the extra injuries like Tielemans, Moreno, Zaniolo & Rodgers being out atm it isn't a surprise that not many Villa fans are confident of getting anything from the last 2 games (Palace are in great form).

Hopefully that does not matter though because as much as i'd like a team that does not have 115 charges hanging over them winning the league City are relentless and Spurs (scraping past Burnley aside) have not looked like a team capable of stopping them winning the title to allow Arsenal's glory and if Spurs lose to Ciity it does not matter if Villa lost the last 3 games of the season they'll still get 4th/CL football for next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,776 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

In what world does rodri get little credit. He's widely regarded as their most important player and had been for some time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,119 ✭✭✭joeguevara

as much as he deserved a red card, and equally as much as i am supporting spurs and celts on the same day and loving that they both wo .

But that commentators remark is irrelevant. Unless I misunderstood

thats a decent comeback from chelsea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

At some stage Toby you'll have to accept Man City will never face penalties for those charges. It would have happened by now. The PL are too scared of the fact City's legal team will demolish them which they will. Corruption or not City aren't going anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,776 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I did indeed. I don't think he lacks credit though.

One of he, kdb, or de bruyne are out and managing city are absolutely fine. Rodri is out and they just are not quite as good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,200 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

That specific 'Anthony Gordon' penalty move - sticking his foot between the defender's clearance and the ball - could do with some clarification. He's gotten pens from it already this season, so actively tries it every single chance he gets now. He tried it again today and didn't get it, but you know he'll probably get the next one. It should obviously be a free out as he's not trying to play the ball, he's just making sure he gets kicked, but the decision making for now is murky. A loophole in need of fixing.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement