Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2023-24 Mod Note in op 27/6/23 And 21/05/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

The length these refs go to avoid sending city players off. Wtf?!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

And no yellow there,unreal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭mobydopy

How is Kovacic still on the pitch , another nasty tackle

City oblivious to getting a red card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

The attacking players doesn't have to be in possession of the ball, for example if a forward is running onto a through ball that will put him in and one and one situation and a defender hauls him down to prevent it, that's a red card for denying a goal scoring opportunity. Like Gross knows exactly what's he's doing here, makes no effort to play the ball and hauls down the man when he knows he's is going to get to a ball for a clear goal scoring chance. The keepers is out of position, only a defender on the line, and the ball is falling to the attacking 8 yards out...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

The trip to the middle east for Michael Oliver certainly paying dividends now. It’s absolutely blatant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,289 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

thats shocking. should have been a red 1st time, and that second was a stone wall yellow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,730 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Oliver must have been off on Middle East jaunt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,576 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Scandalous refereeing from Oliver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,106 ✭✭✭joeguevara

But that in itself makes it not an obvious goal scoring opportunity I.e there are a number of things that would have to happen before they could score. It wasn’t as if they just had to shoot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭doc_17

If anyone hasn’t figured it out yet, had the second yellow been given, would Oliver have been asked out to Abu Dhabi again? No. Will he be asked out again? Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

ok then.

Never be an obvious goal scoring opportunity ever going by that reading of the game.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

In what world (other than your biased one) is it not as bad as Jones?

One is a player has the ball under his foot and the other player kicks it from under him bringing that foot down on his own moving foot, it's bad, but completely accidental.

The other is a player sliding from behind, nowhere near the ball and raking a players standing ankle with his studs. It didn't look as accidental, especially since he pulled a similar intentional effort a few minutes later.

Never mind the comparisons with Jones' tackle last week..........remember what Jota got two yellows for.

These officials are not fit for purpose.

if a player is in a central position with just the goalie to beat and were pulled down then that’s an obvious goal scoring position.

if they weren’t in possession of the ball and the defender wasn’t moving towards goal but fouled them, then it’s not an obvious goal scoring opportunity.

I said it was a red. Jones one had more impact on the leg. But both deserved a red. What more do you want?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I'm not biting on that one joe, seemed pretty clear to me.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Bluebb993

Wolves player last week was worse then jotas too and he didnt see red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭doc_17

Well, they are fit for a certain purpose…

You are probably right. It’s a head fcuck all these different interpretations by refs.

but I think we can all agree kovacic should be off after the second.

• Advertisement

City will win this now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Does anyone need further proof that refs are making it up as they go along?

So many of the decisions they make are blatantly down to how they FEEL like interpretating a situation. That second Kovacic tackle is a carbon copy of Jota's second yellow. If referees are trained, which I assume they are, to recognise objectively what a booking is, that should've been an automatic yellow.

It's utterly comical.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭DAngelo Bailey

How has Kovacic not been sent off there?

Don’t actually believe Oliver is being bribed by the City hierarchy here, but there’s no scenario where the Prem refs should be allowed do these paid nixers regardless. As if this conversation was ever not going to be created before long.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

It's so blatant at this point it's actually ridiculous. They get all the breaks, all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭NITRO95

Why is everything being compared to Liverpool and what happens to them? Are there not 18 other teams in the League also effected by these so called bought off refs?

It’s honestly the most tedious thing in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭McBain11

I genuinely can't remember a team being consistently refereed to a completely different, more lenient standard, than Man City over the past few years. It is no wonder that people regularly wonder about these refs being bought off at this stage, because when you watch so many games over the years, nothing else makes logical sense regards how refs deal with Man City players during games.

I'm not one to call every collision, foul, sliding tackle etc a yellow or red card, but the first Kovacic tackle meets every criteria for a red card. What are they actually looking at sat in the VAR box? Then to actually not give the second yellow for his foul on Rice is astonishing. Michael Oliver will know from the simple fact that VAR checked the red card foul for so long that it was very close to a red in the VAR opinion, so to the not give the second yellow for a late sliding tackle minutes later is comically bad. These referees are actually making up the rules game by game and week by week in the PL.

If Kovacic was in Chelsea blue today playing at Arsenal, I've no doubt he would have a red for the first tackle and a yellow for the second tackle (which he obviously wouldn't have been able to make as he'd already be off the pitch).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Apart from the poor officiating, this has been a poor game from both teams too. No real quality yet. Hopefully it picks up a notch for the final half hour.

• Advertisement

Sure that's the same for any situation, if a forward is running through one on one with the keeper and a defender hauls him down, he gets a red, but the forward was still not guaranteed a goal, there's a number of things he would have to do first. Look at VVD red against Newcastle, takes out Isak in the tackle and gets a deserving red, but it was not a guaranteed goal for Isak, he still has to get control of the ball and beat Allison. Szoboloski is clearly getting to the ball first here, Gross knows exactly what's doing a hauls him down with no effort to play the ball, goalkeeper out of position and only a defender on the line!

You must not have watched how Man Utd were refereed under Fergie they went 7 years without conceding a penalty at home.

But in your example it’s an obvious goal scoring opportunity.

in this instance the forward wasn’t in possession when he was pulled down so he would have had to win possession which wasn’t guaranteed and then even then it wasn’t a goal scoring opportunity.

but I do admit that they are given as reds and each time has a different interpretation.

I only replied to the original post where it was stated that it was a clear red. I was only saying it wasn’t clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭McBain11

Funnily enough I watched United for all of the time they were winning titles under Fergie. In that time I remember numerous United players getting red cards, yellow cards, etc.

Also, did refs give any penalties against United away from home in that 7 year run you mention? You surely know the answer to this as you watched it all so closely.

Man City are playing in 2023, away to Arsenal, with VAR available, and home fans rightly baying for blood regards the Kovacic fouls, yet the ref and VAR never blinked. Man United under Fergie in 1998 or 2008 and some random home record of not conceding a penalty is completely irrelevant tbh.

Arsenal deserve that

Only side trying in a game where little quality has been on display, not to mention chances.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Delighted for Arsenal, that was coming. Hope they can hold onto the lead!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Delighted with that after the dubious refereeing going City’s way yet again

Great stuff Arsenal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

The correct result in fairness.

Haaland is such a different player without De Bruyne.

• Advertisement

Please someone stick the head on Walker

Cretin

Justice there after the horrorshow reffing in first half

City should still win it with games to spare. Arsenal will crumble in the home straight again no doubt.

Liverpool won't win it. Nor will Utd.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,289 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

i just hope his shocking performance isn't forgotten about by dermot et al cos arsenal won

It’ll still get the same coverage because it was such a big game, just the sense of injustice won’t be there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

City without Rodri are such a different beast.

I'd be surprised if Liverpool are within 15 points of City tbh.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Arsenal did a great tactical job on City completely stopped them from playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Liverpool also were awarded a penalty that was refused in similar situations previous weeks.

They definitely had the rub of the green today.

Like we all knew they would. The refs aren't fit for purpose.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement