Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slurry

• 17-06-2023 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hi I have slurry put out on the silage ground I just wanted to know why you have to wait 6 or7 days before applying fertiliser

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 844 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

Is it to do with loss of nutrients?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

The old people used to say. “ a shake on the muck will bring you no luck”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I was just going to ask a similar question about how long to leave between slurry application and fertiliser for silage ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭bosallagh88

How long after mixing would slurry start to get thick in the tank ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,928 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The reason being if fertlizer gets coated with slurry it will not dissolve that easy when water is present. It's especially a problem with Urea as if it fails to get into the ground it will become a gas and escape into the atmosphere

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Same end result more or less, if the fertiliser lands on the slurry, the bugs in the slurry will release/ consume most of the N as part of the decomposition process.

Bear in mind that, according to Teagasc, 65-85% of artificial N is list to either the water or the atmosphere anyway, but that never stopped them promoting it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Silverdream

Not true, the bugs decompose the nitrogen compounds in the organic matter, not Urea, (Don't bother saying CAN is different) CAN is already in ammonium form which is readily available to the plant if it can get to the roots. Urea reacts with water and the soil enzyme urease and is rapidly converted to ammonium but it has to be in contact with the soil not raw slurry!!

So by spreading fertilizer on top of Slurry it acts as a barrier to the fertilizer reaching the plant roots, so in the meantime it either evaporates or gets washed of the surface with very little soil penetration.

Post edited by Silverdream on

Thanks for your info, and I'm quite happy to stand corrected, everyday is a schoolday here, but where's the "very bad advice".

I don't see where I advised anyone to do anything, or are you just mad to throw am oul dig?

I supposed it spared the dog getting a kick.

I edited and took out the part "and very bad advice". Now where's that mut gone......😄

• Advertisement

Where's my hump... ? 😁

On the same topic, what happens when you spread slurry too soon after fert?

Afaik that's not recommended either?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭fulldnod

I've seen the neighbours putting the slurry on top of the fert and I never seen a bad crop of grass

I'd say for Urea you'd be better off waiting for it to disappear first, it should only take a couple of days on moist ground. But if one needed to do both then it would have to be fertilizer first then slurry. I know farmers prefer the other way round as a heavy coat of slurry can bury grass that's already growing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Markcheese

In the same way that slurry is sometimes injected into soil , would it be practical to inject nitrogen rather than broadcast it , ?

I know guys are spraying liquid urea as a foliar fert - but i assume a lot of that is also lost to the atmosphere - especially in summer .

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Yes, but it's not advice I'm after, I just want to know what actually happens?And regardless of which goes out first, what happens with normal (not drying) slurry spreading methods and conditions would the fertiliser just dissolve in the slurry and what processes are going on there?

Would it be effective?

To be honest I wouldn't know but to start you'd need to know the exact blend of fertilizer. The phosphates are highly soluble in water so I'm guessing they would become readily available to the plant if dissolved in the slurry, same with the K. But there's not much info out there with regard to mixing compound fertilizers with slurry. I couldn't find any research information on this from teagasc or others, not that it would make a difference with teagasc as they seem to be in Gouldings pocket when it comes to fertilizer research.

Thanks anyway, thats surprising about Gouldings given that Liam Woulfe from from Grassland Agro is on their board.

There you go, I think this covers it, no pun intended...

Advertisement