Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Paranormal' within current fringe science thinking - Discussion anyone?

• 17-06-2023 4:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,721 ✭✭✭✭maccored

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg25033420-600-can-physics-explain-consciousness-and-does-it-create-reality/

I say 'fringe'. simply because the kind of science thinking Im talking about is indeed fringe. I would differentiate between that and pseudoscience mainly because there are some claiming quantum physics backs the idea that we create our own realities. A bit like the hippy dream which if you delve deep enough into that idea was based initially on not being a dickhead, loving other people and sharing. thats kinda a bit like the message of jesus, which religions have based themselves from - or the same basic teachingas as other ancient religions. the point being, that the idea itself has been around a long long time, so this isnt the first time humanity has heard of this idea of trusting in yourself and your future by following your dream and being the best person you can be.

So the debate is if this idea is true or not and that can we actually create our own realities.

MY thought though, with this thread is IF we did find that we could create our own realities, could that explain why some people never see ghosts and others do? Ghosts and the paranormal might exist in the reality one has created for themselves but not in the one the other did etc.

This forum is (pardon the pun) very dead this last while so feel free to use this thread to say what you think. I would say there are maybe 4 kinds of people who would have any thoughts on the paranormal. First are people who just couldnt give a ****. Not interested. Not an iota. They dont involve themselves with any kind of discussion on the subject as its just not on their viewboard at all. Second would be those who are cynical of the whole concept. All balls, none of it is true and anyone who thinks theyve had an experience was mistaken, fooled or outright lying. Third would be the skeptical. They need to analyse and think something over and though theres never the need to fully accept a belief or experience, there is always room for possibility under the correct circumstances. these people usually go out looking for experiences and i'd say its the reason behind the formation of many paranormal groups. Fourth then would be the believers. Thes are the fans, nothign will get in their way of believing something was paranormal if they so choose to believe that. It doesnt matter how a video was recorded or that the image of that Japanese ghost girl looks the same on every video. they dont care because they believe. same as the cynics refuse to believe - thats their belief.

So, in saying that, I have had a few notable experiences. I lived in a house for 20 odd years which was haunted almost all year round. maybe a quiet month or two here and there. Ive sat in a house and watch objects pop off a wall - right in front of me. I dont need convincing that something outside what we are all taught to believe is going on that may or may not be explained in the future. It has got me wondering though why doesnt everyone have these experiences - ive met many on this very forum. how come only some people do and others dont - it cant all be madness, drugs, drink or stupidity can it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,721 ✭✭✭✭maccored

I'll just stick this in now because its nearly dawn, and you know yerself ...

Religion talks of the body, the soul and the spirt

Science talks of the body, the consciousness and the sub consciousness

More hippy types would think of the body, the mind and the higher mind

They're all talking about the same thing, and i think whatever 'it' is, would probably include whatever we think the paranormal is. the concept of aliens included. imagine if aliens were created by your own reality - that would explain why no-one sees anyone getting abducted. There's a movie in this somewhere

A bedtime thought is that everything, including very 'solid' objects, are made of atoms, which are mostly made of space. thats science - but how does it even make sense. how can something made mostly of nothing be a solid thing? Now, if I were creating my own reality I could make anything be whatever I thought it should be ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

A bedtime thought is that everything, including very 'solid' objects, are made of atoms, which are mostly made of space. thats science - but how does it even make sense. how can something made mostly of nothing be a solid thing? Now, if I were creating my own reality I could make anything be whatever I thought it should be ....

Try walking up to someone spinning a hurley around themselves like a windmill. They might be surrounded mostly by space but you're still going to end up getting one hell of a clatter.

that doesnt really get round the fact atoms are 99.99% space

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

How much does science really know ? Could we, for the sake of this discussion quantify the total quantity of scientific knowledge currently as being 'X'. What multiple of 'X' would the entire future, yet to be discovered, amount of knowledge, amount to ? Within that would today's repetitive, paranormal events be included as part of the new science, as some of these mysteries are finally solved.

I'll mention one of these - SLI (Street Light Interference). As I've observed this phenomena on several occasions, whereby on passing beneath Sodium Vapour lamps on a well known Dublin coast road, the lamps faded out, one by one, then returned to the normal state. Not just on one occasion, but on several. The point of this tale, is surely we have to consider there is some sort of transmission going on from the person passing beneath these street lights that is affecting the power to the lamp, or interfering with the chemical process ?

My own opinion is we know next to nothing, referring to the first paragraph, so we're not really in a position to de-bunk consistent reports of paranormal activity.

science has to be sceptical, not cynical. many cynical people ( 'its all rubbish and not real' ) think they are sceptical ('theres not enough data to back up the idea of the paranormal - maybe someone should go looking for data')

The issue though is that you cant capture a paranormal experience and study it at will. Hard to collect data other than first hand accounts. You could try and collect data as cleanly as possible but most of us havent the knowledge on how to do that, and those who do usually dont want to risk reputations and funding in trying to research it. i think its a lot more complex that the idea of dragging chains and scary noises mind you. there could be multiverses, time existing at once and some forms of crossover - we dont know now and we'll certainly never know if the cynics have their way.

Even the conversation of where the mind exists and what it is hasnt been solved yet. Still very much highly debated in scientific circles.

• Advertisement

• @Maccored. A good few years ago you posted up (or emailed me) some audio recordings of an EVP session which I listened to and i can remember hearing what i considered to be a distinct voice with a regional english accent. At the time i think you weren't so sure of what I was "hearing".

I've recently been watching Kindred Spirit TV Programme and they seem to have very interesting results. However I'm not sure of the credibility of Kindred Spirits as a scientific programme or whether its purely entertainment?

I was wondering have EVP recording methods advanced in recent years and if you are still conducting such investigations?

not really - all an evp is, is a recording that isnt heard at the time. I prefer ones where you can distinctly hear something and can verify no-one heard it at the time (we used to mention any external noises as they occurred so they couldnt be confused as an evp) but a good mic and recording device is all you need (phones are as good as anything these days.)

What some do now is listen 'live' to the device as its recording and see if they can catch anything - but I think thats a bit too exacting as you'd probably hear far away natural sounds the mic can pick up that your ears couldnt (or at least hear it more clearly). the up side is you can react at the time which is an easier way to find the actual source of the sound. People do also capture decent evps that way too - but its not a necessity. It might shorten the amount of time required to go through all the audio after mind you. That used to be a mind bogglingly boring task.

I still think people want to be entertained more than actually research these days - this is why ghosts boxes etc have become so popular. devices that basically play bits of radio which people then assume to either be paranormal of influenced by 'spirits' (even though theres nothing at all to back that kind of idea up, even anecdotally) .

i dont do as much as I used to. Hard to find the right kind of people to join up with.

• Thanks Maccored. Very interesting and helpful. Much appreciated.

Advertisement