Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New handicap seems low

Options
  • 17-06-2023 8:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I'm a golf hacker that has just received my first handicap. The three scores I submitted gave me a score of handicap of 15 in the golf. However this is much lower HC than my playing partner who has submitted lower scores than me. My also HC seems low considering I have not shot any scores under 100. I struggling to receive feedback from the handicap secretary.

I'm not really looking to play competitions but would like to have a realistic HC to try and improve on. My question here is will my HC revert quickly towards a realistic number as I start to submit rounds on the golf ireland app? Or are 20 rounds needed before I have a true HC number? Thanks...

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

If you feel that your initial Handicap Index is too low, you can ask your Handicap Secretary to review and explain why you were given this number. There's a formula which WHS uses which should be followed. The table below shows how it will be calculated as you submit more scores.

Post edited by billy3sheets on

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

If you had 1 decent round and 2 rubbish ones, your handicap index is based off the 1 decent one as per the table above.

Also, if you as you say you shot over 100, if you had say, 6 pars in the round but had 8 quintuple bogeys, the handicap system will reduce those to double bogeys for the purpose of forming your handicap and your score of 100 actually adjusts to an 89, which gives you your 15 handicap. Your potential to be better is recognized

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Motown112233

Thanks for the responses, it's much clearer now!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,433 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Doesn't take long to sort itself out. The same happened to me. I was given a HC of 18 after submitting 3 cards. I hadn't a hope of playing anywhere close to 18 but it wasn't long before it took a jump and settled around an appropriate index.

Just keep firing in general play scores and it'll increase quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

If you didnt break 100 then they did put an adjustment on it btw

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,203 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Go out and play a few rounds and it will soon adjust to your level. Enjoy them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭willabur

better off starting with one that is too low rather than too high, the rest of the club won't want to skin you alive when you shoot 45 points plus

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭boardise

Not sure where to ask this question but I'll try here.

I'm interested to know if , in the case where X members have handicap reductions applied on the basis of 'general play' it is the conventional/required practice to publish a list of such reductions within the club ...on noticeboard , locker room etc. In my view it is right and proper that this be done in the interests of transparency and I can't see why it would not be. We're not talking state secrets here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,589 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

The new handicap system is based on you having at least 20 rounds or at the very least 8 rounds in. While you have less or significantly less the formula is skewed toward your lower scores. It will all sort itself out as you keep playing.

Your handicap is there to equalise the competitiveness level around golfers of different abilities and not necessarily an expression of your skill level - especially early on in your golfing 'career'. I think it would be a fair thing to say that an early handicap beginner shouldn't be made likely to win anything and thats all your handicap is for.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Walter Alright

I think all clubs should do this, it might stop some handicap building in future if people know they’ll be named.

A load of members got cut in my club. None of them were happy but a good 90% totally deserved the cut. Maybe it might have seemed a bit harsh on the other 10% but when the same process was applied they got cut too. Not as much of a cut as the other 90%. Some of them got cuts between 3-5 shots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭trigger26

Seeing a pattern of players shooting terrible scores on the Wednesday 9 hole (they usually manage to get a 2) and using this to buffer.

lad who shot a gross under par off the back sticks this weekend shot a monster on the Wednesday, I’d love to know how they justify this in their head

• Registered Users Posts: 15,945 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

i know it happens in my own club and by default i probably thought it was a required practice under the GUI, but maybe down to individual clubs to decide themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Dtoffee

Did you drop a load of shots at certain holes and maybe parred a few others..... handicap calculations do not count any scores over double bogey. So if you had an eight at a par 4, it is caluclated as a six and over 18 holes you could see your 100 gross reduced considerably (especially if you had a few very high scores at one or two holes).

My advice is to play off 15 and give it your best shot, you may well be surprised how quickly you can improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Innish_Rebel

When I rejoined my club last year & submitted my 3 cards - I got a "low" handicap but the 3 cards did not count on the above table, just get out playing registered casual or competitive rounds & after 3 rounds the above table will overtake the preassigned handicap that the secretary gave to you.

Advertisement