Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginner freelance writer - what to charge?

• 17-06-2023 10:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭

I've composed some unpaid pieces for publications in the past. Recently, I have been communicating with a publication who has now enquired about my daily rate. As this is my first venture into paid freelance work, I am unsure of what to charge. I have had a look online, but prices seem to vary and are more geared towards the US market. Does anyone have any advice on what would be the average to charge in Ireland for a beginner?

Post edited by Lollipop95 on

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Are you intending to do it just as a kind of a hobby/part-time thing or as you primary way of earning an income. In both cases you need to ensure that you cover your costs. If it is the case that it will be your primary income then you need to ensure that after expenses etc you earn a decent wage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

Don't rule out the bread-and-butter work of technical writing, if that's something you could branch into.

The translation agency we work with charges us €650-€1300 a day for technical writing services. We engage them whenever we need holiday cover, or if we need to outsource the excess. Internally, we cost the technical writer's role at €41/hour, but a lot of that guy's time is spent on project management, and going to scrum stand-ups. A lot of freelancers underestimate the business side: prospecting for clients, financial admin and so on. I'm giving this as an in-house benchmark.

If you can offer corollary services like DTP, proofreading, UX writing/design, project management, then you won't be idle!

Advertisement