Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has President Higgins overstepped the mark?

1141516171820»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Caquas

Yes, the Tánaiste would fancy the Aras as a reward for his Government Service (by far the longest of anyone alive except Bertie😊)

He flew that kite a few weeks ago but it disappeared without trace. He should remember Brian Lenihan Sr. No Fianna Fáil politician has been elected to the Aras in 50 years!!!! Bertie showed his cuteness shafting Albert in favour of Mary McAleese. I used to think Bertie feared Albert would lose but now I see he was afraid Albert would win!

Micheál might get over 20% on a good day and top the poll on the first count but, like Brian Lenihan, he’ll discover that over 50% of preferences will go to anyone but FF.

Post edited by Caquas on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭StormForce13

Looking on the positive side, I have no doubt that a committed Gaelgeoir like Stumpy Dee will write his bestselling memoirs only in our native tongue.

A true patriot like him wouldn't be interested in making (more) money, he'd be far more interested in being remembered in Irish History as the heroic Minister for Miscellaneous Gobshitery who fearlessly abolished Section 31 of the Broadcasting Act so we could all hear what Gerry Adams really sounds like on the RTE News.

Michael D is as canny as they come. That faux outrage has been perfected over a lifetime on the Left. He has well and truly overstepped the constitutional mark but he has correctly judged that young Simon, for all his bluster, is spineless. Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.

But the seeds of a crisis have been sown. Some day, a Taoiseach will guts will insist on the constitutional balance and a future President will try to retain the (now established) order.

Mary McAleese was an excellent President.

Everyone felt proud of her because she stayed above the political fray and sought to unify, not divide.

She and her husband were outstanding on the peace process which required tremendous instincts in a girl from Ardoyne. Culminating in the visit of Queen Elizabeth.

Like Mary Robinson she had a lawyer’s respect for the Constitution. As we see from her subsequent battles with the Catholic Hierarchy, she never lacked conviction, she just understood the Office to which the Irish people had elected her and she didn’t attempt to self-aggrandise (the ultimate fault in our current President)

Where will we find someone of that calibre now? Will we have a repeat for 2011 - false prophets like Norris and Gallagher fall away and the prize goes to the last candidate standing?

You invited me to re-read this post as if it would answer my constitutional arguments. As I said the first time, you’ve got nothing but the effrontery to claim I was waffling.

What amazed me on a second reading is your final sentence. You think I’m a Blueshirt🤪

If you can think that after reading my post lambasting Simon Harris, I have been wasting your time and mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Lot of anger here lately..

No. And mercifully none of the faux outrage we get from the Áras.

Plenty of strong criticism plus sharp rebuttals for Cludeo's BS, but mixed with some praise for former Presidents. But that may not be your cup of poison.

Advertisement