Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router suggestion for remote working at home

Options
  • 18-06-2023 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,777 ✭✭✭

I am relying on tethering through my mobile phone for remote working and it's patchy at best. I can't do Skype calls because the connection drops. I was thinking of getting a wireless router instead and subscribing to one of the mobile operators and using a SIM card. Can anyone suggest a good reliable router for this. I don't want to go down the fixed line broadband route. I will be the only user using the wireless connection.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

A router might also drop the connection as it might be an issue with how the mobile network handles VOIP traffic

When Skype drops, is it when every other data traffic is idle? Maybe it might not drop if another data stream is running.

Simplest way to keep connection open is to set up a continuous ping to some IP address in a command line window while on Skype.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,777 ✭✭✭billyhead

No other data stream is running. The only access to internet I have is via my mobile phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

On mobile connection since ~2010, started with O2 on USB dongle, few different models, then MiFi devices, again few different, moved to routers B593, E5186, B525, now on B818

I mainly work from home since 2019, on three network. VPN/RDP, teams calling, VOIP - most of time all simultaneously

I do have issues with internet - 1-2 times a year. I do have speed degradation occasionally - nothing that i cannot resolve by forcing a specific band once in the while.

Today is average-to-bad evening, usually have ~200/60

YMMV, what i am trying to say - its possible, might take some work setting it up or might work just "out of the box", will depend on your particular location, ISP, etc.

Testing needed.

Advertisement