Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir 4G+ slowdown - Help :)

Options
  • 18-06-2023 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭

So, I've have Eir Mobile BB at home for 1000 days to according to the router. It's been pretty good for most of that time with a few spotty period of a few days here and there where it slowed down.

2 weeks ago it basically hit the bed and hasn't come back. I've gone from speed of between 60 and 100Mbps down to between 1 and 10Mbps. The Upload is steady around 30 - 50Mbps. For context. I am less that 1KM to the mast in a rural area, with clear line of sight to said mast and the BB device hasn't moved in those 1000 days from it's home in the attic bar the testing below.

So, I assumed congestion but it's like this 24/7. I assumed device, so I've taken the device (and 2 others on separate Eir sims) to other places and the problem doesn't repro. I get expected speeds. 5G on my phone and the partners is just as shocking. We even took a walk down the public road where the mast is as the mast is beside the road and did a speed test. 32ms ping, 10 down, 28 up. (did the same at another location 15 drive mins away, different mast was 262 down, 30 up and ping of 40.

I have been on with Eir every few days and get the normal crap. There is nothing we can see wrong to, oh there was work on that mast, to something might be wrong but we need to do more tests. The only other "thing" that's happened is the NBI lads are finished the fibre on the poles in the last week weeks.

To me, it's whatever they were doing at the mast. The only other time I remember this level of slow was other mast maintenance. I WFH and really need to get this sorted. I've tried other providers in the past and none of the work so jumping ship is a last resort.

Anyone got any advice how to get past frontline Eir "support" and to someone know can actually get it sorted?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭kazoo106

No way to get past them - its a closed firewall

Go to another provider on NBI when it comes live.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

:( It's crazy. If they would even say "yeah, something is wrong and here is our ETA" but it's the same reply each time. I alway get promised a call back at a given time and never hear from them again (WTF is with that. Just stop promising call backs like).

NBI is my plan but it's at the pre-order stage. No idea how long that might take!

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

Did you see any positive change ?

I have similar experience- after about 3 years of good speeds it is gone downhill fast in the last weeks/months. I have 2 modems and typically one would give me 40Mbps Down and 11 Up, the other one gave up to 150Mbps down but only 4-5 up. Only in the evenings would the the download speeds go down a bot. Pings were always below 25ms.

Now most of the times I get 20-40 down , but mostly 2 or less up - on both. Pings could be triple digits. I made no change to set up or placement of modems. Rebooted a million times by now.

It is affecting work with those poor upload speeds. Interestingly, it seems in the evenings it is now better than during the day. I am baffled but mostly really annoyed. Eir was the only provider with good coverage here... it seems starlink is next, but I'd much rather have my old speeds back..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭KildareP

Mobile operators here are now switching off some (most) of the multiple 4G and 5G bands present on their masts during off-peak hours, following a growing trend elsewhere around the world to try and reduce energy costs.

3 are at it as well with similar severe knock-on effects being reported.

Vodafone don't seem to be doing it on that wide a basis - yet - but then their network still has huge pockets of 3G only coverage so they've a lot less to gain by doing it.

The somewhat ironic outcome is that speeds and performance are now better at peak times than in non-peak because there are far more bands available during peak hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,558 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Yes, I've seen this.

I have a multi band mobile repeater with band active indicators in the house and for the last month or so the high bands don't seem to be as available like before, only the 700/800 MHz bands.

Previously you'd see the 2100 band aggregated with other bands, regularly 10 + 15 MHz, now 10 MHz on the two lower bands is most common particularly off-peak.

GoMo SIM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,140 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

It sounds like a good explanation as my neighbour with his 5G Eir has exactly same issue as I have and it started around same time.

Isn't that lovely that they announce price increases year on year ( inflation plus x %) and in exchange they simply reduce the service. It is a bit the same as retailers increase the price of a packet of biscuits and take out 5 biscuits at the same time...

I will monitor it for another week or so, but it looks like the money I give Eir every month will soon go to Mr Musk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭Glaceon

My parents use a 4G router with a GoMo SIM in it. It was forced set to 1800 MHz (band 3) 4G because if the router switched to 800 MHz (band 20) then the speeds were terrible. On Monday morning the connection went down, router reported no service. So I switched it back to 4G auto. It initially connected on band 20 with the usual circa 4 Mb speed but soon afterwards it connected to band 1 (2100 MHz) with speeds in the high 40s. So I presume Eir had been messing around with the bands in the area.

How do you force bands ? I have a Huawei B628 and a B818.. not found any setting to lock in. I have messed about with ltehmonitor but not sure I managed to lock anything there..

What I did notice is that I typically connected to 1 out of 2 CELLIDS , and when it got really bad earlier this week it connected to a completely different one.

Anyway- on my way out, ordered starlink and cancelled one Eir subscription already, second will follow when starlink is up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,140 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Not permanent solution on free(will require to reapply "force" if dropping) , require software to run 24/7 to work on paid. I use free, work OK, might need to reload once in the while

https://www.ltehmonitor.com/en/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭Glaceon

My parents have an E5186 which has three options:

4G auto

4G 800 only

4G 1800 only

I had it set to 1800 only as it had better speeds but need to keep it on auto now as there’s no option to force 2100.

Exactly as I thought it would happen... Starlink kit arrived this morning and my Eir speeds are now 70/15 with a sub 30 ms ping.. ( having said that yesterday evening I saw the worst ever pings.. 3 sec..)

Anyone else seeing improvement ?

Advertisement