Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

President Biden closes gun control speech in USA with 'God save the Queen'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

• Registered Users Posts: 29,549 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Bidens trip to Mayo and that speech has been cited multiple times on this thread and not just by me.

You have no answer to it other than the typical tactics of deflection and playing the victim.

How do you even know what Bidens normal self is? Have you a baseline from 2013? 2018? How familiar are you with his stutter and how that can cause speech issues? Well?

You havent even seen his speech in Mayo.

So you would not comment on something you havent seen in full but it is blatantly obvious you dont have a full picture of Biden.

Yet you seem to think you are ok to not just comment on him but diagnose dementia from afar.

In replying to your posts I am not replying to you alone. You referenced dementia and another poster used the marbles phrase which is slang for same. So I am addressing the thread and also on the thread 'marbles' as a phrase was referenced.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

He doesnt really look at them though he's looking everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,509 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

"President Biden closes gun control speech"

I'm in the right place?

• Advertisement

President Biden closes gun control speech in USA with 'God save the Queen' is the full title.

Click on page one to see the OP.

I will concede he's occassionally gaffe prone, but then again a lot of public figures are due to the sheer amount of time they are recorded.

But gaffe prone and dementia are not the same thing.

That's literally why they are there set up like that, it gives the impression hes not looking at them because its eye level - he can see them easily wherever he looks.

I see you sneaky edited your post also. Im sorry to burst your bubble on it - but nobody would be expected to know that off - and it was a super speech.

So let's discuss his entire gun control speech then, not just the last 4 words, isn't that quite silly? Pigeonholing/cherrupicking is putting it mildly. Did he discuss "The Pillsbury Man" or the revolutionary army storming the airports elsewhere in the speech or are these 4 words being held up as some sort of dementia proof

• Advertisement

Yep changed the post because i only noticed the telepromptors for the first time. Like Biden I aint perfect and prone to gaffes, but I also don't have dementia.

And I'm done with this thread. You clearly haven't proved he has dementia, apart from citing a few clips of gaffes out of thousands of hours in the public domain. We must be talking of something like 1% of the time he makes a gaffe, which is about average for any normal human being.

I have no doubt you will focus on the gaffes though and ignore anything else. Balance really isn't your strong point is it?

Again - discussion forum not hospital.

I will go now and spend my remaining years watching all footage of Joe Biden, If you guys are still around ill write a comment - hopefully that will qualify me to have a say.

Good, maybe you should. You can see I post about him frequently and cover the news multiple times a day. If you follow it a little bit every day, you won't have to play such big catch-ups in the future.

Having personally voted for Joe Biden, I will let you know when I think his mental health is of genuine political concern. I've been on boards.ie across 4 Presidential administrations and each and every one of them were the subject of this ridiculous cycle of making mustard out of molehills. With Trump, he actively sought out controversy: he chose to take the dementia test with the elephants on it, it wasn't ordered by the WH surgeon, or anything like that, they were not concerned with his mental competency either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

You must be aware that you are arguing two different things simultaneously here. So which is it?

Either, as you say

“There is no evidence of decline”.

OR

There is no evidence for decline “over and above what is natural for a man of 80”.

I could assure you that my car tyre had no signs of wear, but when you look at it, it is bald, with metal showing and I clarify that it had no signs of wear above what is natural for a 10 year old tyre, these are not the same thing.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

To summarise, we're at over 320 posts and not one person can show where Biden has been diagnosed with dementia or even make a convincing argument for it. If some of the same people hadn't repeatedly defended Trump for displaying all of the symptoms of dementia several times, I might have taken their word seriously.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Talk of dementia is a red herring.

Most people over the age of 80 experience natural decline in cognitive function, but who do not have a neurodegenerative disease.

Arguing about dementia diagnoses is therefore irrelevant to what the vast majority of people see and hear with Biden -- that he's clearly well past his prime and that the baton should be passed onto a more suitable candidate.

Most Democrat supporters know this, even if they daren't admit it publicly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Yep if folks actually watched his speeches he's still mentally all there . Not some edited bits or the odd gaffes.

Most people wouldn't do so well at public speaking either. Dementia my arse.

Watch the speeches day after day instead of cherrypicked stuff on youtube. He gives huge numbers of speeches.

Any of you ever try to give a speech when tired ?. I have and it's been terrible.

Re-read my post.

I commented specifically on his verbal gaffes. There is a misrepresentation on the threads that this gaffe is evidence of decline - as if it is a new thing. But he has been making gaffes like this for long time. Even using this specific phrase in a domestic context. He has a stutter. So to claim oh he made a gaffe, that's evidence of decline is contradicted by Biden's history.

The latter point was a more general one - not confined to verbal gaffes. Tellingly, those pushing the significant decline \ dementia angle do not engage with the evidence from his trip here. Even though it was only a few months ago.

As for the rest of the post, I have no idea what point you think you are trying to make. If you think Biden or anyone as an 80 year old is too old that's your opinion. If specific claims are made that he is an 80 year old with dementia or is going through significant decline, that's a totally different type of claim. And what has presented on this thread doesn't come anywhere near the threshold for that. Ignoring entire speeches given in Ireland, ignoring the gun control speech apart from one closing remark etc

It is scurrilous nonsense, in large post obviously partisan when contrasted with how Trump's actions are presented. Biden's verbal gaffes are obvious verbal slip ups, of no consequence. By contrast daily 77 year old Donald Trump's verbal "gaffes" incriminate him further, impact his legal defence, cause lawyers to quit. And yet many of the same posters are silent on that. Why do you think that is???

Post edited by odyssey06 on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

It wasn't meant as a personal attack. Just an observation that you can't help referring to Trump constantly in a thread about Biden.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

the question was about experience

anything to add on that

• Advertisement

Wait a second, we are not just talking about verbal “gaffes” . This verbal gaffe labeling is being spun to downplay things it seems.

President Biden needs physical help to find his podium in many cases and has even collapsed in public on stage after presenting as confused.

And Are we ignoring everything else apart from his display in Ireland? In which he did make a very bad “Gaffe” in relation to the black and tans - no big deal in isolation but the issue is it’s not an isolated incident.

i’ll ask again - if this was your parent would you not be concerned for their health?

Again - this thread is not about Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭donaghs

When someone has dementia, it doesn't have to mean they are in a permanent state of total mental confusion. The can have moments, days of clarity. Many of us have seen it with elderly relatives. So Biden can still have his moments, when he does a good speech in Ballina, Warsaw or whatever.

If people see Biden exhibiting frequent symptoms of dementia over the last few years, that doesn't mean they part of some "Trump" plot. It has nothing to do with Trump, or anyone else. Maybe as you point out earlier, Joe Rogan could have dementia too - I haven't seen frequent symptoms but I'm not a regular follower of him -and this thread is about BIDEN.

If you want to see a mentally sharp version of Biden, here's a video of him interviewing the academic Thomas Sowell for senate testimony, in the 1980s (ignore the title, I dont think anyone "won").

Two people with slightly different opinions, going at it, in a corteous and basically friendly style, a little humour too. No one accused of being Satan for having a different opinion. Biden lays down some good argumentative traps, and is able to reshape and adjust his points and Sowell rebutt or sidesteps them.

THOMAS SOWELL AND JOE BIDEN DEBATED,SOWELL WON! - YouTube

The thread is about a verbal gaffe. He has been making verbal gaffes for decades.

You included a video which just showed verbal gaffes, with cherry picked pieces of him tripping over his words - ignoring the rest of the speech and speeches he got right. He has a stammer - have you acknowledged this as a possible factor in his verbal gaffes? Did I miss that post?

Who said we are ignoring the rest? You are the one ignoring the performance he put in in Ireland, which seems to be irreconcilable with your amateur \ armchair medical commentary. He mixed up "All Blacks" and "Black and Tans". Absolutely of no consequence, everyone knew what he meant and laughed at it.

Have you watched his speech in Mayo? Have you even watched the entirety of his gun control speech?

So don't talk to me about ignoring things when you consistently do so.

When did he 'collapse' on stage? That's a very specific claim.

If this was a parent I would not be concerned for their health, other than the general strain of the President's workload for an 80 year old. I hope when I am 80 I will be as able as he is eg for a trip like he has done to Ireland and Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,430 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

America has a proud history of mentally and or physically incapacitated President's.

For a country that seems to be so particular about having a healthy one it's odd.

Well I wouldn't put it in quite those terms, but there does seem there are times when America is ok with having a old man they know in the White House, who can be trusted not to rock the boat and keep the ship of state on a steady course. The US has so many layers of government it's not like a PM.

At other times a punt on youth like JFK, Obama, Clinton.

Here he is collapsing, it’s just a snippet of you watch the full unedited video I’m sure you will see it if you like. This is the same event where he missed the podium initially and had to be walked over to it and then walked off the stage after he fell over. Again all normal things for a man in his twilight years.

https://youtu.be/_ctthyYjglw

And before you say it - fall, collapse, tripped, keeled over whatever - he took a nose dive live on stage after appearing confused and disorientated in the time leading up to it.

Your other replies:

You are diverting the conversation and attempting to portray that all that has been raised is verbal gaffes which is simply untrue.

You talk for cherry picking yet harp on and on about Ballina and ignore literal video evidence of someone who appears to be in poor health.

You would be a bad child then if you wouldn’t be concerned for your parent - at least have him checked out to make sure he is getting all the help he needs.

Post edited by thomas 123 on

Yesterday, Biden made an announcement that his administration will have conserved 30 per cent "of all lands and waters under US jurisdiction by the year 2020".

Another day, another gaffe.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,619 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

You are suggesting an enforced retirement age for public representatives regardless of health (again, you can attack the doctors doing the medical if you have a shred of evidence).

What age would you suggest?

• Advertisement

This is a blatant misrepresentation of what happened.

He didn't "collapse" on stage. You used that word. It is your invention. He tripped over something which is not visible in the clip you showed.

Already you are changing your tune. Was it a collapse or a trip?

You can't keep your story straight.

An utterly bad faith and disingenuous description.

Advertisement