Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

President Biden closes gun control speech in USA with 'God save the Queen'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,549 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

You would be a bad child? Will you read that back to yourself.

You're gone on now to personal attacks when your armchair medical diagnosis are rebutted.

I see nothing in what has been presented here to show concern over and above what is normal for an 80 year old who it still working.

Post edited by odyssey06 on

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I genuinely can't understand why certain posters are taking this so PERSONALLY and lashing out as a result.

• This thread is about Biden, not Trump. As I said the first time that deflection tactic was brought up on P1, there's a whole thread for discussing the latter's many failings.
    • There are LOTS of videos of Biden's confused behaviour, disjointed rambling and "gaffes" on YouTube and elsewhere. You don't have to agree with whatever editorial slant comes with the videos to be able to see the concerns for yourself.
    • Constant deflecting, whataboutery, and attacking semantics is not a counter-argument. It only defeats whatever point you are trying to make.

Honestly, you'd think some posters were defending their grandfather the way some of the posts read!

This recent deflection to "medical diagnoses" is unwarranted.

What many people are saying is that Biden is past his prime -- and that these gaffes, verbal and physical issues are an understandable consequence of his age.

Not a medical diagnosis of dementia that has to be proven from medical records, but the natural consequence of age.

So you and others can keep reeling out the red herring of proving a medical diagnosis, when that's not what the vast majority of people are saying re: Biden, which instead focusses on the obvious reality of what we continue to see and hear; namely, that he's well past his prime.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

"If he very concerned and at least have him checked out"...poster must have dementia

• Advertisement

I shared a link to the NHS with the symptoms of Dementia - this was me diagnosing him / just for context!

Well that's really poor form then, because nobody -- except Biden's own team -- can justify medical diagnoses like that.

Just to clarify - I’m not saying I diagnosed him - like you say only his doctor and medical team can. I just was saying how some of his actions of late would match with some of the signs/symptoms of dementia using that link as a source.

No bad form intended on my part.

Strange reply. I am not the one who made the claim about dementia. Or 'losing his marbles'. Why don't you reply to the posters who did? We are not "reeling out a red herring", we are rebutting specific false claims. Take it up with them.

And if you are concerned about candidates past their prime, where is your post on the Trump thread remarking on his gaffes as an understandable consequence of age that rule him out of office?

There is an obvious partisan agenda at play here.

It has been pointed out multiple times he has a stammer. He has been making verbal gaffes for long time. It is not evidence of anything new.

He has the physical issues of an 80 year old. There's no evidence presented here Biden is incapable of being President. Because that's the bar. So what we have here is a nothing burger.

Trump Trump Trump!

You wouldn’t be suggesting there is a conspiracy afoot?

You’re a gas man I’ll give you that.

• Advertisement

I could have! Hopefully my family would help me if I was confused, disorientated and falling over after being confused and disorientated - especially if it was a regular occurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭Francis McM

Not just one worldwide gaff a day by Biden, but more. Just to ease US-China relations like, " US President Joe Biden has called Chinese President Xi Jinping a dictator at a fundraising event in California."

His remarks came a day after the US Secretary of State Antony Blinken went to China and met Mr Xi for talks... these same talks were aimed at easing tensions between the two superpowers.

Mr Biden also said Mr Xi was embarrassed after an alleged Chinese spy balloon was shot down by the US.

China has said it "firmly opposes" Mr Biden's comments.

China has called Biden's comments absurd.

It's not conspiracy to suggest that some of the attacks on Biden are motivated by a pro-Trump or pro-Republican agenda. It is obvious politics. It would be politically naive to think otherwise.

And the pure partisanship of those attacks is proven by the way the same sources do not raise any concerns about 77 year old Trump's falls or gaffes. So it is entirely valid to mention Trump in that context as it shows up the partisan motivation.

Biden mixed up God Save the Queen and God Save Us All; the Black and Tans and All Blacks; he mis-spoke the year between 2020 and 2023. In otherwise coherent speeches advocating his current policies. His gaffes are of no consequence.

Trump is legally incriminating himself daily, and embarrassing himself politically. Oh and he falls on slopes and podiums too.

I know which one I would be telling to shut up and lay low if I cared about them!

No, it's not some pro-Trump conspiracy.

A very large swathe of Democrats (40%) hold the same view about Biden's mental fitness, as well as 70% of independents.

Almost 4 in 10 Democrats said his mental fitness was a real concern as did 7 in 10 independents and, as expected, more than 8 in 10 Republicans.

Several key Democratic and swing groups saw Biden's mental fitness as a real concern, including those 45 or younger (69%), GenZ/Millennials (67%), men (66%), those without college degrees (66%), non-whites (64%) and those who live in the suburbs (63%), for example.

He’s not the current president though? Who cares expect those using it as some gotcha argument? Why do you care what trump is at even? It’s not like if Biden died today Trump would he back in the White House! Don’t worry. The orange man can’t hurt you anymore.

All of that doesn’t change the fact that the subject of this thread is likely mentally incapacitated to some degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭Francis McM

Following Biden's latest gaffe about calling Xi a "dictator" etc etc, China says US-China relations "are at their lowest point since formal ties were established."

It - and the invasion of Ukraine - happened on Biden's watch. He has a lot to answer for. It would be a lot better for the world if he could be put in a nursing home with dignity. Or maybe some sort of accommodation out of harms way someplace.

It is a gotcha argument to the hypocrisy, double standards and partisanship of some of the obviously pro-Trump attacks on Biden on this thread.

That's not really a fact though is it? You are making medical statements of fact you have no standing to make, with evidence that comes nowhere near to establishing it as a fact.

Nothing presented on the thread reaches the standard of dis-barring Biden from carrying out his duties. If you think an 80 year old isn't able to do the job, that's your opinion, that's fair enough as long as it is consistently applied.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,457 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

You know, one can do both.

They can be concerned about Bidn's ailing mental capacity AND Trump's made-up lies about the election being stolen and all this baggage.

I hope the two of them **** off tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

You are yet again making stuff up. I’ve literally called myself out 4-5 times saying it’s not a medical diagnosis.

I have never called for him to be disbarred or even not carry on his duties.

You have assigned that as my opinion for some reason, it’s not.

My point is simple - he appears to be unwell. As I have also stated, you, I, the Chinese, the Russians and everyone else won’t be told he is sick or unwell. We will never ever be told he has any illness which could be perceived as a weakness so even if he has dementia or something similar we will never know. All we have to go buy is what we can see with our eyes. If some people wish to wear eagle tinted glasses that’s up to them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The same China which operates concentration camps that #45 was odiously simping over? That's who you think occupies the moral high ground?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Accusations of hypocrisy and whataboutery, pretty much exactly what I said yesterday would happen.

Unfortunately US political discourse is toxically binary; almost juvenile thinking -- with the parameters framed as "my guy" versus "your guy" (an adult's version of Good versus Evil). Criticising your own side is considered heresy, as well as a loss of face. Invariably then, the conversation descends into ceaseless whataboutery and accusations of hypocrisy; the symptoms of which are visible all over this thread.

As another poster has already said, it's possible to be critical of both Biden and Trump. It's not a competition.

Sometimes you can actually agree with your political opponents.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,350 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Yes mentally incapacitated and still able to absolutely own the Republicans at the recent SOTU

Remember one of these is not fit for office according to those on the right...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8xTdf55WtTA

You couldn't find that post showing concern for Trump's age, falls and verbal gaffes then? And this is the deflection.

To suggest some of the attacks on Biden here aren't motivated by Pro-Republican partisanship would require significant political naivety.

And the partisanship of your post agenda is made all the clearer by the fact that you found this poll article. Yet didn't seem bothered to post it to the Trump thread though you frequently post there.

When it comes to former President Trump, who is also running again, 51% also said his mental fitness is a real concern, 43% said it was not.

And also, expressing a 'concern' about something doesn't mean, well we think Biden isn't fit for office and I won't vote for him because of it.

I'm not going to answer any Trump-related questions you level against me on this, a thread about Joe Biden's mental fitness.

How is this not a medical diagnosis???

doesn’t change the fact that the subject of this thread is likely mentally incapacitated to some degree.

If you don't want to be called out on making medical diagnosis stop making such statements of fact.

Saying someone "appears to be unwell" or eg he is showing signs of his age is a million miles away from the specific medical claims you were making earlier in the thread about dementia, impairment and mentally incapacitated.

It hardly takes a crystal ball to predict it. Because that's exactly what you went on to do, rather obviously. Why is it a surprise to you when such obvious tactics are called out?

If it's perfectly possible to criticise both - why did you only post the poll results on the Biden thread, and not Trump thread also???

So of course it's perfectly possible to criticise both, but that's not what you do, as any scan of your post history demonstrates a pro-Republican partisanship.

Your claims to the contrary are thoroughly debunked already on the thread.

If you are posting here on the pretence of not being a partisan pro-Republican, but merely expressing concern about an aging politician - well then your lack of concern for similar Trump related questions (on this thread or the Trump thread) are entirely relevant.

And I clearly said "Yet didn't seem bothered to post it to the Trump thread."

Another demonstrably false statement you have made.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭hayrabit

in other news, i think Willie Haggas' has live claims in opener at RA

God Save The King 😆

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Exactly.

They say they disdain both Trump and Biden as if they're equally bad (they're objectively not) but spend huge amounts of time pumping out nonsense about only one of them. It's completely transparent.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Advertisement