Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Police Clearance for PAS/Public Jobs

• 19-06-2023 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

As part of the Public Jobs clearance process, I must produce a police cert/criminal records for anywhere I have lived for longer than six months.

I lived a in developing country and the only way of obtaining a police cert is extremely bureaucratic and will cost me about €300. The only way of paying for this is via bank draft or international money order (in the local currency, USD, CAD or GBP). My bank (Bank of Ireland) won't issue a bank draft for less than €500 and An Post have not done international money orders for 5+ years. Western Union in the US issues money orders, but WU in Ireland and the UK do not.

I could send someone in the country money, for them to do it for me, but they would have to pay in one office, carry the receipt across the city to a different office, and I would have to DHL my documents to that office. Because of poor infrastructure and unreliable postal services, etc., I fear that the receipt of payment would never get put with all my other documents....

Does anyone have a similar challenging experience obtaining police certs? Any advice? Will PAS make exceptions or accept anything different? Is there any flexibility on this front?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41 BigElmo

Ask PAS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭757TFFIU

As the poster above suggests, ask PAS. For what it's worth, I had lived abroad for a time prior to joining the civil service and PAS wanted a police clearance certificate at the time I was recruited. I asked for a police clearance certificate from where I'd lived and was told that these weren't issued and that any potential employer would have to apply directly to the police for vetting. In desperation, I put in a subject access request looking for information about myself.

Although it's a good few years back at this stage - when I explained myself to PAS, they accepted what I was able to get my hands on, which in the end was a rather dodgy looking piece of paper with the results of the subject access request which basically said they couldn't find any record of the information I had requested. PAS were very reasonable about it.

Good luck!

Advertisement