Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carer's Allowance

• 19-06-2023 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I have been caring for a friend for the last year. It has been costing me a lot of time and money and this seems to be increasing as time goes by. I am constantly being advised to apply for the Carer's Allowance. However, I was appalled at the scrutiny and invasiveness of the means test. I bring in a low pension as I did not have enough 'stamps'. However, I have savings in my own bank account, to take care of myself down the line. Surely, the means test should only apply to 'income' and I shouldn't be penalised for hard earned savings. Sorry, 'just having a rant here.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

Hi

So Carers allowance means test of capital is often misunderstood.

The disregard is €50000. So say you have €100,000 savings.

Only €50000 will be taken into account. Of that €50000 €150 will be considered as means.

If you are on a occupational/other pension with no state pension and your weekly income is less then €350 (I’m assuming here that you are living alone and over 66, please correct me if I’m wrong) then your carers allowance will be €124 per week if you have, for example, €100,000 savings.

Advertisement