Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop Reset

Options
  • 19-06-2023 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭

Hi all

I was able to purchase my old company laptop from my previous employer - company now folded and gone. I need to wipe/reset for personal home use and some WFH in a new contract. Am I right in thinking I need to:

1. Do a factory reset to clear everything back to original?

2. Purchase a new Windows 11 licence and re-install ?

3. Decide what MS products I need and purchase licences etc ?.

The old company IT guys are gone, so I have to arrange this myself. The alternative is dump it and buy another laptop.

Am I missing anything essential?.

Thanks in anticipation, K

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Yeah you should be able to wipe it and reinstall windows with a bootable windows media creation tool USB. Depending on how the licence was purchased by your company it may be hardcoded to the motherboard meaning it will survive your factory reset. Try it and you can always buy a licence later if needed.

Then yeah you can purchase an office365 subscription for whichever package suits best.

Advertisement