Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Satellite FTA and Virgin Internet Same Line

Options
  • 20-06-2023 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Hi

Can I use a splitter/combiner to send a Freesat signal and a for example Virgin Media Broadband signal over the same line outside the house and then split them back inside the house ?

Sending broadband signal to router and satellite FTA signal to a sat box and then onto the TV

I know it can be done with a terrestrial tv and satellite signal

I have searched the forum but the search function is very hit and miss

T'internet itself is contradictory

Thank you in advance everyone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

I assumed you posted this elsewhere?

Not very home automation specific...

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭TokenJogger

I tried but the website failed and kept puking some sort of error at me

I might try again

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

Try the Broadband forums if you can get it posted. Someone will hopefully know.

Or just go for it and post the results ha.

I'd be surprised if it can work myself, how can the splitter know which 1s and 0s are the FTA and which are the VM BB.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,758 ✭✭✭zg3409

It should work, you need the right satellite FTA combiner on both sides of the cable through the wall. It might not work too depending on combiner.

Virgin coax cable uses radio type signals for download and upload, upload typically 0-49MHz , download multiple old TV type channels shared amongst thousands of houses.

You may damage you satellite receiver if you wire it wrong and short the power to the dish.

I would recommend instead a special window coax adapter and feed separate cable out the window like https://www.freetv.ie/flat-satellite-cable-coupler/

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SodiumCooled

The concept is very workable once the frequency bands are totally separate and there is a combiner/splitter suitable. The 1 and 0 for the broadband will be in a different frequency band to the FTA all the splitter does is filter these seperate frequency bands (with one out out to a tv and the other to a router). VM do this already for their own tv and BB, it’s transmitted together and split out like this.

You can also for example combine FTA satellite and saorview in the same cable and split out at your tv/box in situations where you only have one cable.

• Advertisement
Advertisement