Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Halpenny fitting

• 20-06-2023 2:31pm
    Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sure this has been asked loads of times before, but the new search on the site is unfortunately very limited and I can't find the answer.

Looking for a new driver, but want to keep the spend down as low as possible (i.e. don't necessarily want to buy a 2023 club), so therefore not really interested in visiting the likes of Foregolf.

Do Halpenny actually analyse your swing when they fit you and make suggestions on shaft, loft etc, or is it a case they give you a few clubs, you hit them into a net and it's up to you to pick whatever one you like the feel of?

The session is 60 mins, so I'd imagine there must be some analysis, but then it's also only 30 quid, so I'm not sure what to expect?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭blue note

It's a proper fitting. You can try a few driver heads and shafts, you'll get lots of stats from the trackman. I went there for a driver and the lad in tramore for irons (more of a foregolf type fitting). The tramore one was far better, it felt more detailed. But the halpeñny one was far more than getting to try a couple of clubs.

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Thanks blue note!

Presumably whoever is doing the fitting knows how to interpret those stats and make knowledgable suggestions? I don't have to interpret and understand them myself, right?

Probably a silly question, but just want to be sure it isn't done by someone who sat through a 30 minute Halpenny golf onboarding video on how to fit clubs.

Yes, they do. I'd say go in with some preferences in mind and a budget so they don't waste time showing you stuff you don't want it don't want to pay for.

I think the lad that did mine was a former pro from st Margarets.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭zocklie

I got my irons fitted in halpenny this year. Told the guy my budget, he had me hit around 10 shots with 4 or 5 heads, then 2 or three shafts. He reigned in the numbers, then Gave me three options and explained what each would do. I ended up going for zx5s' in the end, as I've a habit of hitting slighty thin and he reckoned they would be a bit better for me that the titleist irons, and I flat out didnt want wilson irons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭big_drive

How are you finding the zx5's , they are ones I'd like to try out. With the new version out the older model might be on offer I'm hoping some place

Which of the Wilson's did you try? The d9 forged are getting great reviews. Id be considering them as well

• Advertisement

I think they're unreal, got them a degree flat and all my shots are arrow straight. Even my mishits are good, and I dont get that vibration up the shaft when I thin it badly. They're a good bit stronger lofts than my old irons (~12 years old) so that took some adjusting :P

I'm pretty sure in halpenny they can get the older models for you (up to a point), he offered me irons from 2020/2021 to fit my budget.

I didn't personally like the d9's, but I know 2 lads with them and they swear by them. A lot if it does come down to personal preference tbf, don't be afraid to ask them in there for specific clubs if you know you like the look of them. The guy I did mine with was super helpful in letting me try the different ones I asked for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

"FLAT OUT DIDN'T WANT WILSON IRONS"

May I ask why so anti Wilson?

Ah, we all have it our preferences. When I got my previous set of irons I tried out 9 sets. The set I hit best were Nike ones. I went with Taylormade because I didn't want Nike irons. Also they were ugly.

For my driver I always thought cobra sounded cool growing up, so when I was buying a driver (as an adult) I went with them, because they were what I always wanted.

We're buying toys. The ones that give us the most satisfaction (for whatever reason) are the best ones for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭coillcam

@blue note I'd agree completely. Last thing you want to be thinking over a putt or shot is that the club doesn't feel right to your eyes. That's a pure confidence killer to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭Xander10

• Advertisement

I just didn't like the look of them, they looked a bit chunky to my eye

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭daithi7

That's what I always thought of them too.

Tbh, I purchased new Titlleist T300 irons last year, but I still prefer my old Callaway X18s. (Even with their rusting shafts). The T300s are just too chunky looking for my liking, also they don't have much or any feel & I don't like this tbh particularly on the short irons.

I looked at the T200s also in the fitting, but they looked a bit plasticy and so I opted for the T300s, unfortunately.

I've already thrown the new 48deg wedge out of my bag & replaced it with my old X18 PW which I liked. Tbh the new PW & 9 iron might get replaced next with the old X18 equivalents (9i & 8i) also....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

So you didn't look at D9 Forged, Staff Model CB or Staff Model Blade?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I done a fitting recently and tried out loads of different heads / shafts and the one I was hitting best by a mile were the ZX5’s. Lovely clubs but quite expensive for a new set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭benny79

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭Russman

Depending on your specs, you might just pick up a set of the original ZX5s in clearance online. There's next to no difference in them. The gen 2 are I think still in their first year so you could get lucky. I got them last year after being fitted for them and really love them.

Advertisement