Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sedating and older dog.

Options
  • 20-06-2023 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I had a thread on here previously about my older lady who developed a wart on her head, it's harmeless but has now grown and she bangs it off something and opens it almost daily. We tried freezing it off with no success , surgery to remove it is the last option.

She's 14 and I'm apprehensive about sedating her for it, she's healthy otherwise besides some atheritus.

Any guidance on the risks of sedating and older dog ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

What does your vet think? Sometimes they’ll do pre-op bloods to check everything is ok and ours does fluids too to help flush the sedation out. To be fair there’s always a risk - that’s why they make us sign the disclaimer for our pets or even ourselves if we’re getting sedated? But I understand 100% why you’re worried - I decided not to have a benign lump removed from Bailey’s leg a few years ago now because I felt it wasn’t necessary to put him under so we left it alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

up until now the vet was against it as it wasnt causing any issues, however now it is starting to bleed a lot , she is due her shot on monday so will be discussing with the vet again. its right above her eye and if i dont catch the bleeding in time it runs into the eye

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Terrier2023

I had a big wart taken off my dogs mouth freezing didnt work she was 12 year old Bernese she was fine it s a quick op and they bring them back quickley after op get her flushed of the anesthetic about 50 euro extra.

Advertisement