Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is a call from 014832979 a legit BOI call?

• 21-06-2023 9:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Poncke

Hello,

Is a call from 014832979 a legit BOI call?

I picked up and a robot woman voice said it was BOI about suspicious activity on my card. Which is correct, as yesterday I had some issues with an online payment at Samsung, they confirmed their card verification process was giving them issues. However, the robot mentioned the last 4 digits of my card correctly, she had my name correct, and they also asked me to confirm my birth year by choosing 4 options, and 1 of the options was correct. I purposely chose an incorrect birth year and the robot told me it didn't match my account. Then I hung up.

And if this is a legit BOI call, why on earth would you use a robot voice and scare off your customers??

Comments

• Scam

Always phone the bank on a number published on their website if you have any doubts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland Reps

Hi there, Thanks for getting in touch with us.

Our Card Security team would never call on a automated system. To get this looked into today you can call our Card Security team and one of my colleagues will be certainly able to assist you. The number you can call is 1800 946 764. Our Card Security team is available 24/7 to assist you with your queries.

Thanks, Sarah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Poncke

Thanks for letting me know. I wonder how they knew all that about me though. When making an online payment you don't disclose your birthday year. Anyway, I will call the number you posted there to make sure all is in order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,457 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Note that all phone numbers can be spoofed. Only phone companies have (some) protection against it.

The last 4 digits of a credit card number are the least secure, as they show up on receipts, etc.

I just called bank of ireland and they confirmed it was them calling me this morning and that they do use an automated system.

So there, love the contradictions.

Post edited by Poncke on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Hard to know what banks will never do

Paypal were sending out emails with a link to the website to win a €3 prize

Aib used to ring me on private number all the time

Yeah agreed, but if I ask a BOI rep if the call is legit and they tell me no and their colleague on the phone says yes, it makes it all the muddier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Eve

Hi there, thanks for reaching out to us here on Boards.ie.

We have checked this for you with our card security team and can confirm that the team does use this number and automated system when making out bound calls. The team have confirmed that as soon as the customer confirms their date of birth then they are connected through to an advisor who will assist further.

I hope this helps.

Thanks, Eve

Advertisement