Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If the US Open was in Ireland….

• 21-06-2023 9:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭

Lots of actually interesting discourse on Twitter this week that the US Open should be a brutal test ie if the winning score is under par, it’s not tough enough.

I kind of agree with them. Just once a year, make it torture.

Let’s leave our links out of this equation, as even the toughest of those can play easy (for them, not us) if the weather is clement.

Which parkland in Ireland could be set up to destroy the mental health of even the best players on the planet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭slingerz

Adare is the easy answer.

I would probably think Carton House otherwise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭thewobbler

Is Adare not what one would describe as a high end American resort style course, rather than an ultimate test of golf?

Happy to be corrected by the way. I don’t think I’ll ever find out in person!

I’’m thinking it needs brutal length, brutal rough, brutal pin positions, disgustingly quick greens. Druids Heath is the one that comes to mind quickest from those I’ve played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Palmerstown off the tips probably the hardest course I've played in Ireland. Make it a par 70 with tricky pins and around par would win it.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

K club perhaps?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Adare, with full knee height deep rough and chunky rough 1m off tightened fairways, the greens and bunkers are already there on the difficulty level with plenty of killer pin position options and greens that can be cut to be lightening fast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Never played it but isn't the Heritage supposed to be very difficult?

Also Killeen Castle is 7700 yards of the black tees and designed by Jack Nicklaus so I'm sure it could be set up hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Richmond Ultra

Macreddin surely up there. The walk alone would have you shattered before you even swung a club.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

This does not sound like a fun course to play!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭newport2

I think the reason some of them are such monsters in the US are because they are virtually guaranteed to be hard and fast due to the weather. If there is unexpected rain and the course gets anyway soft, the players go well under par (McIlroy in 2011, -16). In Ireland, most parkland courses remain somewhat receptive/softish compared to the US all year round and hence are not as difficult for the pros.

Also, level par for the US Open is usually -8, because they just take a par 72 and call it a par 70. It's not 8 shots more difficult, it's just manipulating the score to make it sound tougher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Ronney

Dont think you'd particularly need a long course. When Rose won in Merrion it was under 7000 yards and very few people had 18 holes under par. You can trick any course up by growing rough, tightening fairways and tucking away pins.

Advertisement