Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dressmaker for pockets

Options
  • 22-06-2023 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭

I have a nice pair of linen trousers, but with the pockets torn in bits; I've brought them to two dressmakers in the Rathmines ambit who both refused the job. They offered to close the seams, but I can't see much point in trousers without pockets. Can anyone recommend a dressmaker who will put new pockets in trousers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭francois

Try Clothing Alterations in Crumlin on Sundrive road a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Tried them already. They don't do it, but thanks for the suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,344 ✭✭✭✭looksee

They have probably examined them and realised that the way the pockets were inserted in the first place would mean that a significant amount of the garment would have to be remade in order to insert new ones.

If the pockets are surface fitted so that a patch of fabric was stitched onto the surface of the trousers and possibly incorporated into the seam then its unlikely to be fixable. If the pockets are inside the trousers then presumably the fabric near the top of the pockets is still good and its just the bottom part that is worn out? It should be possible (though I am saying this without seeing them) for a new section to be stitched onto the existing fabric (I have repaired pockets like that).

If two firms have looked at them and refused the job it suggests that its simply not do-able.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Can you post a photo of where the pockets are torn and then we can advise if a patch on them would suffice. It would probably take too long to do a complete replacement and the charge would be very high.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,344 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I'd say, on thinking about it they are those pockets made from lining fabric which don't last very long and tend to shred away from the seam at the opening, then there is not enough of the seam in the main fabric to attach a new pocket to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

I'm coming to the conclusion I'll have to do this myself. The pockets are totally shredded - unpatchable. It honestly doesn't look like a terribly difficult job. I hate sewing, but dammit if nobody wants to do it for pay I'll do it myself for free.

Advertisement