Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭Karppi

Is the assessment on RTE listenership taken the same way that determined Meghan's Archetypes listener figures? Asking for a friend

• Registered Users Posts: 7,162 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Just basic procurement laws have to be followed. Why on earth do RTE not have to go to tender for such services such as presenting etc. I'm not saying that they can and will get a better presenter but i can guarantee you anyone tendering will have to lower their costs.

You can picture it now. Someone decent from local radio goes against Tubs for his radio slot but names his price as 120k. That would put that cat amongst the birds. It would be extremely hard for RTE to pick someone who wanted 350k over the guy with the experience looking for just 120K.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

ah i know them now...both talk crap and get "paid" a metric shite ton of money(our money really) ah feck it,where do i sign up? i can talk shite for days if needed..

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,721 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

When you think of the pain the young girl, featured on this morning's news, went through for 5 years waiting on an operation and these parasites were dining free on 47K worth of canopies it brings this behaviour into stark reality. Shame on all involved. Same obviously going on in a lot of places.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭One Who Waits...

Because it is shyte. The current "crisis" is a convenient excuse to cancel it without uproar from Joe & crew.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Field east

Is it not the case that when any company/org that gets public money -re it’s main budget source - and is looking to pay for good/services above €50,000 have to get three quotations and 5 quotes if it’s above €250,000 ? . I wonder what does RTE do in general?

Yeah. Well these are the same cohort who were defending golfgate during covid. That's when we weren't allowed to see dying relatives and elderly parents. They actually live in a world of their own. The lectured us about social distancing etc. Fuckers.

I would urge anyone on DD to cancel their TV license for as long as possible. You will probably get away with it for 3 or 4 months before final warning.

No. You have to go to tender. Up to 50K is 3 quotes.

So you actually have to draw up a full tender document and publish it across the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,625 ✭✭✭Floppybits

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Right I’m off for some canapé’s and bubbly before this afternoon’s big game.

aka - cheese on toast cut into bite sized pieces and a can of 7up 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Tubby Wubby, Vlad-e-waddy wants you to go to the committee-witty.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Stevie2001

Yep

RTE should be torn down, but its now wrong to vent and destruct in modern Ireland

Just keep quiet, comply and clap like a good little seal, it's only a few bad apples, rest are good, no big deal.

Covid and the compliance mellowed far too many people in this country, the majority lined up and lapped up the bullshit, but I am happy now to see this RTE thing has gotten people angry again, getting them out of that zombie/sheep state they were in for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Was the 1.2 million settlement with Revenue also linked to top talent not paying full prsi etc?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Absolutely agree with you. A mediocre presenter, at best, who, from what I read about him over the years, mostly on here, became more and more up his own backside about absolutely everything.

I sincerely hope he won't return. Someone said upthread others wouldn't work with him. Unfortunately they wouldn't really have much choice. But he can never be believed or trusted again by anyone.

The CFO yesterday, my mouth is still hanging open that he sat there saying I didn't know. Good grief, it's your job to know. Any Financial Officer I have ever encountered is all over everything especially when it comes to expenditure. Like I said, it's their job after all!

And lastly, the rubbish that was the toy show musical. When are we going to be told about the losses made on that? But again, what does it matter? It's only our money. 🤢

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭pjordan

So according to the breaking news re Patrick Kielty's LLS deal, if (an admittedly big IF) Ryan Tubridy's radio only deal were to be renegotiated it should be something like €440k - €250k deal for LLS = Maximum of €190k for his radio show only. Seems easy peasy sums to me!!! And then have all other presenters fees determined on a pro rata basis based on supposed "star quality" rating assuming he or Kielty is taken as the baseline top dog in RTE!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,545 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Patrick Kielty salary 250k...

I win the bingo!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,247 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

At these point even seeing or listening to Tubridy would just remind people of what a corrupt organisation RTE is.

They are better off getting rid, start afresh with a new radio presenter.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,468 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

I believe it was a revenue audit of RTE staff in general that found a lot of employees were paying PRSI at self employed rate when they were effectively RTE staff and should have been paying full PRSI.

• Advertisement

Incorrect

Circular 05/2023

An increase to the threshold at which all contracts for goods and services must be advertised on eTenders from €25,000 to €50,000 (exclusive of VAT);

LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭technocrat

Seems good value considering Kielty is immeasurably more qualified as an entertainer than his predecessor.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,468 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

That's effectively a pay cut for the LLS presenter.

If rte were budgeting 250k for Tubs doing the LLS, then that means he was also getting another 250k for waffling for an hour 5 days per week (minus his huge holiday quota of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭Karppi

IIRC, when I was working for a semi-state, when an invoice came in, you had to have a Purchase Order for it before it could be paid. That was a check that the liability for the expenditure had already gone through the system which, in my company, meant being able to satisfy Purchasing - which was part of Finance - in advance, and that a budget already existed for it. Doesn't sound like a similar system existed in RTE (Quelle surprise!)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,600 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

It goes much deeper than that. Noel Kelly represents over 20 members of the RTE organisation (all public knowledge). Which the RTE reps yesterday in the Oireachtas Committee were extremely reluctant to put a figure on.

First it was they did not know, then it was 4-5? - then they said 'oh I thought you meant the top 10 earners'. Then an approximation was finally put on the true figure.

There is no proof of corruption though just wonderful completely legal accounting manipulations, giving the person in question what they were owed contractually.

--

It is interesting that that Noel Kelly Management website is now blank

https://www.nkmanagement.ie/

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,321 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

IMO the loyalty to the presenter is greater when it comes to light entertainment. The transition between presenters is pretty smooth when it comes to current affairs or Liveline, as the listener's experience remains much the same, but personal taste is a bigger factor for the easy listening stuff. RT isn't my cup of tea at all but he's clearly got huge middle Ireland appeal. I don't know who would step into his shoes if gets the heave-ho, Creedon maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

I can only imagine Kieltys is a paltry 250k because those bastids of course new at this stage about this shitstorm

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭technocrat

Absolutely, surprised Kielty is still taking up the job knowing Tubs was on a much larger wedge.

Tubs radio gig was just 5hrs work a week?!

And he was getting €250k alone for that? Insane!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭purplefields

It's time to totally do away with RTÉ. It has not kept up with the times.

I doubt many people actually watch TV any more, when there is netfilx, youtube, amazon prime etc etc available. Why would anyone listen to the radio when we have spotify etc?

Cut them loose Bruce. let them create a fully commercial streaming service, or even a youtube channel. We'll know for sure then exactly how much RTÉ 'Talent' is really worth.

The only reason RTÉ exists is because politicians can use it.

• Advertisement

News to me cheers, I haven't had to tender for anything in a while.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement