Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

THey have since March to cover that up and now a buddy company to fluff a report to say nobody else got them

The interesting part is why has this come out? did someone find out and said they would release to press? or is someone after Tubs in RTE and want to screw him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭downtheroad

He won't have paid himself the full amount and paid income tax on it though. Pension contributions, electric car, travel expenses, and various other expenses put through the company to reduce the taxable profits of his company, and a modest salary taken for PAYE purposes.

If you think he paid income tax on €500k per year you're delusional.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I would be most interested in the ones that took big pay cuts for the same work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

They didn't answer the actual question we all have about the others in that statement. The question is is there similar arrangements for other presenters in this barter account, and have they gone guarantor on them?

The only reason that this was found out was because Renault pulled out. Without that though the ruse remains a way of funneling money to the top earners through a back channel.

So the question is not only whether the costs for others misrepresented, but did similar contracts for the others exist?

Ahh don't worry about that will be the message we will be told

What about all the people told they would have to take redundancy while this money was been pushed to Tubs

• Advertisement

• scenes at RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 7,170 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Anyone who thinks Tubridy doesn't have a case to answer to is deluded. The man pontificated to the masses for years telling us how greedy we all had become and how we weren't good human being. His lectures about greed in the world were literally his stick.

I hope to god we never see the guy again in the public domain. Do people really think that Denis O'Brien would pay him this much? Or that the Americans or Brits will really be interested in him?

An odd ball by all accounts from a lot of people who have met him.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,971 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

In one case, Mr Tubridy was paid €150,000, but the cost to RTÉ was €230,000 including €80,000 in fees. She said it was a “shocking amount of money”.

Holy shít balls Batman, would have been cheaper just give him a bag of cash probably less dodgy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭HBC08

That's poor Emmet,

You seem a bit rattled yourself?

It's almost like you are genuinely disappointed in your hero and he has let you down badly but you can't break character.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

What's all this talk of Tubs and McGregor? Cannot imagine how they'd be buddies

• Advertisement

It's a case of everyone gets paid in this situation. The agent getting a nice lump to say nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 39,971 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I imagine that was the charge for the money mule account used to hide the transaction.

53% not bad at all.

I would have only charged 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,426 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Please tell me one “misguided half truth” I listed in the examples I gave.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭HBC08

What I'm loving about all this is not only has Tubridy been exposed but it looks like he may take down a few spoof accounts on here aswell.

Glorious!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Archduke Franz Ferdinand

No, that was a muscle bound threatening 20-something year old man…..until the kid himself posted the video on Tik Tok and he was an average sized 12-14 year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Not fan a Tubrudy. I’d rate him a 2/10 as broadcaster/presenter; but no doubt the media and public will make a massive mountain ouha molehill with these findings..

Schofield levels of analysis incoming!!😖

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

So all the money RTÉ saved when they got Kieran Creaven off the payroll was given to Tubby Tubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭Sigma101

I'm a little surprised at this. When this story broke, the name of a completely different organisation immediately sprung to mind, an organisation that Tubridy was highly engaged with for a number of years, an organisation that might have added a new dimension to the controversy. There's also a completely rational and sensible reason why this organisation might have ceased sponsorship in 2020. I'm not going to name them as it would be unfair if they had nothing to do with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,736 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

He strikes me as a bit of a book worm. Some of these people can be arrogant and aloof. While he has worked on not appearing aloof over the years, the mask slipped with that arrogant and contemptous statement. If he was less arrogant he would have consulted with a pr firm before issuing his statement. The fact he didn't is just further proof of his arrogance. When the likes of Terry Prone want nothing to do with you, then you know things are bad!

• I think Oliver may get a contract for the radio gig

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

What were the issues with the toy show musical? I haven’t been following

• Registered Users Posts: 10,713 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Not at all, H. Unless there is some form of tax evasion going on I just don’t see how this is Ryan’s fault.

I wouldn’t call the guy “my hero”, I don’t even listen to his show. I don’t know anyone under 60 who listens to RTÉ in the morning. I was once admonished, on this very site, for suggesting it didn’t matter who hosted shows like ‘Live Line’ because the majority of RTÉ listeners never move the dial or turn off the radio. There will be a sharp drop on listenership in the next 20 years.

What has Ryan done wrong here? His agent negotiated terms, RTÉ accepted those terms and they make the mistake of not publishing one “element” of his pay in their reports. Does anyone really believe that Ryan reads those?

As for the pay cut, it was fairly common tactic after 2008 to make a public announcement of cuts but to make adjustments to ensure the “take home” pay remained the same. I, myself, was doing a piece of work for one of the “pillar banks”, after it was nationalised, where the top brass all took a pay cut but we worked out a way for a new payment, separate to basic pay, to be added to their payslip for the next month so they didn’t miss out on anything.

Again, for me, this is a problem for RTÉ, their accounts department and their auditor.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭Nermal

Any accountants in the thread?

What would your reaction be if someone came to you with a proposal for a transaction like this?

Accountants everywhere "What's my cut?"

RTE and their presenters have been tax dodging for years so this is hardly a surprise. All done by well paid accountants. This is just a newer method of payment without the public seeing so no bad press

Imagine Tubs showing his full payment while on TV telling everyone to donate to "charities" and that we are all in this together

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Archduke Franz Ferdinand

If you think this isn’t serious, have a chat with the many RTE employees who have had to suck up pay cuts, pay freezes an redundancies while their top “star” was receiving undeclared secret payments to keep his salary at its over inflated level. Credibility is shattered as is trust between the public between RTE and Tubridy. RTE is the organisation who investigates wrongdoing through its current affairs programs. Yet this stuff has been happening in house.

But he’s not m a bookworm. He doesn’t read one tenth of what he claims, he’s been caught on this loads of times.

Arrogant he is. If you listen to the radio show on a regular basis the mask slips on a frightening number of occasions. One time, after describing a person doing something for the sake of it and not seeking any credit, he said “what’s the point in that?”.He seems very n capable of doing anything without seeking praise for it,

Then there’s his comments about breastfeeding, or his comment about women having check marks on the their arses to showcase their devils abilities.

and there’s lots more!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,985 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

sadly a common sense post like that will have no place in this feeding frenzy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement