Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The grubby deal involved 3 parties. NK/RT and RTE.

the actual responsibility/blame is on all three. In order of seriousness: RTE for allowing it are mostly to blame, then RT for entertaining it and wanting it. Then NK just for being part of it/facilitating it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

Why do you think RTE didnt turn it down?

Because they made the payments? 🫨

They didnt just demand RTE act as guarantor for Tubridys appearances but even if he made NO appearances. So your description is false.

In a negotiation a person can demand whatever they like. Tubridy could have said “I want a new Renault Megane every month from RTE or I’ll walk” and the only party at fault for accepting such a ludicrous condition would be RTE.

Tubridy, Kelly et al are not responsible for managing the finances of RTE. End of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

Renault make shite cars too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭Ahwell

• Advertisement

Yes that is intriguing.

I'd suggest with their reach its got to do with the details of the barter account held in the UK.

Details babe. Details.

In the palace of that dopes mind he was not involved.

Tuttle Productions was involved.

So this gives him the confidence to proclaim innocence.

RTE never paid RT a cent.

RTE paid Tuttle Productions.

Tuttle Productions paid RT.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,319 ✭✭✭✭Water John

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Those are last week's front pages.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Second Grant Thornton report on 2017-2019 on the way on Turbidy pay.

Another independent review hired by government on the entire RTE culture.

Dunphy is worried by the relative silence on the matter from Martin & Leo. He’s worried about how long the Media Minister knew and kept quiet. He hasn’t said out right why but I think, we’ll it’s my worry, is it’s that they’re giving them time to shred and hide the unremitting scale of this public expenditure so that they can perhaps hide the political scale of junkets and whatever else. RTE had a hand in every sector our society. And I think - no proof yet - that’s why Coveney is being largely ignored.

But the grip of Kelly and RT on RTE is over.

but if I was a betting man I’d throw a few pound on GAAGO being shredded. But will they go after the Racing industry and the rugby scene. Don’t tell me that’s not political junket and black fund city…

• Registered Users Posts: 29,282 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Cop out answers on all fronts.

I asked you a genuine relevant set of questions and this is all you have - nothing.

You obviously have no real answers when you are reduced to this.

RTE should have fooked them out the door. They didnt. Why?

What did RT and NK threaten to get RTE to agree to such a deal?

Noted you ran away from the points put to you about the contract being guaranteed and false invoices.

You have no case and you know it when you cant defend it in open debate except by dodging the questions.

And 75 percent of the public agrees Tubridy should have challenged the amounts RTE declared.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Their is definitely a golden legacy circle at RTE with masonic vibes.

Politics is the pursuit of power and power attracts the corrupt.

This is only an episode in a 5 year season compared to what we don't know.

They've never been busier since the PAC on Thursdays demands for accounts and paperwork.

“Cop our answers?” 😆 I’m living in reality, my friend. All of my views are based on established facts.

Most of the comments in here deriding NK and Tubridy are based on fantasies where NK strolls into an office, barking out his demands while RTE assumes the goatse position.

It is a reality that agents and their clients (“the talent”) have a right and a responsibility to negotiate the best deal possible for themselves. If RTE folded and gave RT and NK whatever they want that’s on RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,878 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

So Tubridy/NK did demand the extra money be guaranteed. Which contradicts your earlier claim. RTE didnt spontaneously offer this.

It wasnt the best deal though was it. It was unsustainable as we now see. So NK completely failed in his responsibility to his client. He over egged the pudding. It was irresponsible. And the deal demanded damaged the reputation of Tubridy to the extent he is now tarnished in the eyes of public, advertisers and potential employers.

If NK was unaware of RTEs financial issues or the issues in raising further the remuneration of their highest paid presenter given the media scrutiny of it - well then he is incompetent.

Noted once again you ran away from the point about invoices with false descriptions. Established fact - that you ran away from the question and that NK submitted invoice with false description.

Noel Kelly is running a private enterprise. He can send false invoices until the cows come home as far as I’m concerned, it’s an irrelevance except for the fact that RTE paid for the false invoices. All fault lies with RTE

You’re missing part of the story though, you’re stating a high level version as it suits your agenda Ryan . We’re interested in the finer details.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭political analyst

I wonder if this scandal means RTÉ going the same way as Twitter is right now!

What are the odds that bringing up the time when Ray Burke was communications minister will wash with the public?

• Advertisement

He didnt look after the best interest of his client in doing so. I thought that was a responsibility of an agent?

You cant keep your story straight.

So again we come back to the question - is NK incompetent or corrupt? Corrupt in the sense of colluding in a deception to defraud taxpayers?

You might think it is all ok to submit false invoices.

It is clear the majority of posters on this thread, and the public at large disagree when tax payers money is at stake.

And if its an irrelevance why is PAC calling NK to question?

So maybe you should pause to reflect why you are so out of step with public opnion on this. Be in no doubt - stating you see nothing wrong with submitting falsified invoices isnt going to convince anyone to change their minds.

The saddest part of this is the Ryan tubridy radio thread is probably finished now

remember a bunch of Ryan fans asked boards to label it a parody thread and then set up a more serious thread to discuss the show and it only had one poster and then died 😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 18,555 ✭✭✭✭kippy

We don't know enough about what went to make such assertions.

So far it looks as if one person in RTE had sole visibility of what went on here, which is unbelievable. If that is true how are we to know, or otherwise, whether that one person had a side deal with NK in relation to pushing this thing through? We simply don't know.

Tubridy is responsible for his own actions. On the face of it that's enough to make a farce of his image and employability goin forward.

RTE are at fault but you can't just 'send false invoices till the cows come home' no matter who you are and get away Scot free, if that is what has actually happened here.

From the facts as they are known thus far, Noel Kelly and Ryan Tubridy haven’t done anything wrong. Certainly nothing illegal.

He didnt look after the best interest of his client in doing so. I thought that was a responsibility of an agent?

Well he failed in that. The best laid plan of mice and men etc. His intention was still the arranging the best deal for his client, even if it didn’t work out because of RTE’s incompetence.

You cant keep your story straight

My “story?” 😂 I’m not giving my account of what happened as a defendant, I have no involvement in any of this. I’m just giving my considered, well thought out views based on the facts. Not emotion.

They’ve clearly done something wrong but not ilegal

It all depends on your definition of wrong. Yours appears to be relatively loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Sunday Independent says the State will invoke special powers to send in an external government auditor to oversee RTE finances.

Is that all they're going to do?

You dont have to do something illegal to do something 'wrong'. The two words are not identical of meaning. Fact.

And I would not be surprised if deeper investigations reveal breaches of corporate or tax reporting laws.

You cant keep your story straight. Multiple times you have had to be challenged and corrected on the basic facts eg it to be dragged out of you that RTE didnt spontaneously offer this to RT but that it must have been requested or demanded by them.

Sure arent we all giving our well thought out views based on facts not emotion and it would be an entirely bad faith argument to imply other posters are not - wouldnt you agree?

But the truth is not just what it stated. The truth can be concealed by selective use of facts. By lies of omission as well as commission. That is what has gotten RT and NK into trouble.

NK submitted falsified invoices - either he is incompetent or corrupt to do so.

As RTs states - he was wrong not to correct the record. So either you disagree with him OR you must think he is insincerely lying.

There are levels of wrongness and while RTE might be at the top my post clearly demonstrates the different ways RT and NK behaviour can be seen as wrong.

There is no factual basis to say they 'did nothing wrong' - without qualification as to what wrong means. It is opinion only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭northknife

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement