Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭gifted

The top 10 earners wont stay much longer.....their salaries will be cut too much for them to stay....anyone who stays will be on way less money

Carl Vorderman salary was asked to take a 90% pay cut on Countdown on Channel 4..she left....

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Bulmers

Moiras knickers were a theme too for the G back in the day..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

• Registered Users Posts: 18,556 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Surely you cannot equate salary with quality? I have no issues with paying good wages for someone who does a good job.

The two aren't always linked unfortunately.

Also, from what I can tell, there appears to be a hell of a lot of people on very high salaries (outside of presenters)

A tighter ship is required.

seriously though, where would they go?

I'm not sure I agree with salary cutting / capping per say , it's a populist tool used by people to quieten the masses but doing so you will / could lose good people, Rte have good people so let's not lose sight of that In this.

Maybe pay them (high earners) as sales people, give a basic rate and set targets as per ad revenue/ listener nos and give them some reign to change show and stuff around, I think something like that would be fair.

• Advertisement

Back about 10 years ago i followed the football in England. Rte had a grand program on called the premiership where I got all my information, condensed and concise. Next thing it was cancelled as it cost too much for the rights. So lost interest in the football then. Remember seeing that it would cost €1.2m for the rights which is a lot of money. But then I saw the wages it was paying the top talent and nearly got sick.

And here’s another one. Last year Rte said they were cancelling irelands fittest family as it cost too much. Jumping over bales of straw, crawling in and under a few pipes and jumping into a hole full of water. In a field in Wicklow. Where’s all this money goin I wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

The reality is these top 10 need to get used to realistic salaries ... the salaries they are on are not reflective of the work they do .... they get paid more than any top doctor who saves people's lives ... Carl Vodernman left but was replaced .... Tubridy has already been replaced .... all of them can be as anyone who is not afraid of public speaking can do their jobs ....

People deserve to be well paid for sure .... there is well paid and well paid in it .... obscene is the term for the money Tubridy and other top earners in RTE get ... they are doing a few hours per week but are being paid perhaps 10-20 grand per hour .... that is ridiculous ... what justifies that type of money for a job that most anyone can do?

Anyone paid 10 grand an hour and more is crazy .... most good jobs will pay €30-€100 an hour and you get paid for the hours you do .... Tubridy and co get paid an hour probably what many get paid a year nearly .... that is obscene ... RTE may have good people but none of them deserve this kind of money and it is beyond time for such personalities as Tubridy to realise they are not worth what they earn .... to be a Tubridy you don't particularly need to have a third level qualification, train several years to perfect your essential skill, or have talent to play or sing or compose music or whatever ... he does not need to be able to have a broad range of knowledge .... as all he needs to be able to do is talk and listen .... and he ain't good at the latter!

This is exactly an example of what suffers .... RTE cancel that football show because it comes down to a choice between that or paying the salaries of the likes of Tubridy ... many a good show ended after a few years e.g. Love/Hate was ended after 5 or so seasons ... same would be the case of Kin ... while vehicles for the overpaid presenters such as LLS, Op Trans, Dancing with the 'Stars' et al go on and on .... only cost these incur is the obscene money the presenters get ....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭Tow

Where will then go? DOB will not pay them as much, or want more than a couple of them. Anyway, the big cost is the other 1,800 employees we have never heard of. The staff numbers have keep on growing, at the same time improvements in technology mean fewer are required.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭toggle toes

If I wanted to advertise my product I would avoid RTE until this scandal has passed. Who would want their brand associated with an organisation that has deceived it' main source of revenue the tax payer who constantly funded the Golden circle in RTE.

Wheather companies wanting to promote their products on RTE is willing to take the financial hit by not advertising on the national broadcaster remains to be seen.

fair points , but you need to keep and nurture talent too, and give younger peolke coming into the buisness something to aim for.

I'm not sure what 3rd level stuff is part of this game but I wouldn't see that as gating criteria as such.

it's a small pool in Ireland, most seem to be managed by one company - that's never good but it's easy ( lazy) for comapnies to contact them to get a person to do x or cover y..they are a supply company , why not put requests out elsewhere? it's just lazi ess and done thing..a proper procurement mgr would challenge that.

maybe this new external audit bring proposed will provide more insights..guess time will tell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

Tubridy knew in his heart and soul that he couldn’t attract blockbuster star guests like The Graham Norton Show could.

He knew that even if he could get a big star on the show that he didn’t have even the basic ability to make it an entertaining interview.

Irish people are invested in death, suffering and grief. It’s part of our DNA. RT knows that if there’s to be any hope of preventing the viewer from reaching for the remote control that every interview would have to include a sudden death, a terminal illness diagnosis, a terrible accident.

It also allowed Tubridy to reinforce his caring empathetic “we’re all in this together” I’m-just-like-you shtick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

You don’t like to see the carer showing the caree how to make a cake of soda bread? Or the man making the sand sculpture? The Ironmonger making the beautiful rose? It’s only on for a minute. What’s ridiculous about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,486 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Aye, I remember when it was cancelled.

Dunphy was very ratty over it - made a few below the belt remarks about the head of sport at the time Ryle Nugent.

Poor aul Johnny Giles was bewildered as to why RTÉ had cancelled the show - it was popular at the time - that was his meal ticket gone.

You’d wonder was Tubridy secretly delighted once he kept raking in the big bucks ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,840 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Its Lottie Ryan so no she hasn't.

Yes I knew your question was rhetorical but had to be said

• Registered Users Posts: 15,486 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Another story today - Doireann Garihy (she is a 2fm DJ apparently) was caught doing a PR shoot posing with packets of porridge in the 2fm studios without the knowledge or agreement of RTÉ.

The photos have been removed from her Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,840 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Davy Fitz I say doesn't his company own the concept. Also the other 3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭hamburgham

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭hamburgham

I was stuck in a waiting room and had to listen to Darcy. OMG, it was worse than what followed. Truly awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Speak in Proverbs

RTE - An assortment of wastrels and cling ons. Who don’t accept their subordinate position in society.

on another note, I’m sickened by the Spiritan priest who exploited the devastating news on the 9 o clock news last night to re assert themselves. They’re back on a PR campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,426 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Circle jerk sums up Rte.

or as was said in the lls thread a few years ago. Rte = reliving terrible events.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,148 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Who's going to be the biggest surprise on the top 100 list? Either earnings or even being on it

Nuala Carey or blaithnid Tracey

• Registered Users Posts: 6,958 ✭✭✭furiousox

Loddie has split from NK apparently.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 7,617 ✭✭✭Trampas

How many years is she in the place now and the only role they can fit her is read out a few Instagram posts. Anyone else who works in the radio industry would be moving stations looking for a better role. Just shows how much she’s getting paid. Any other entertainment news reporter getting a free car in the world never mind Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,617 ✭✭✭Trampas

How many years is she in the place now and the only role they can fit her is read out a few Instagram posts. Anyone else who works in the radio industry would be moving stations looking for a better role. Just shows how much she’s getting paid. Any other entertainment news reporter getting a free car in the world never mind Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Karppi

I wonder who dropped who? And I bet Toyota Long Mile has the car back in the showroom

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

A. Nobody would hire her

B. She would never get the current wages she has anywhere else if she found someone to hire her

Hence why she will be 60 and still on 2FM reading out a few tweets

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement