Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,031 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Rte not continuing to fund programs that don't turn a dime? 2fm says hello

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Irishdancer

nonsense. As i said earlier, teh current board are on MASSIVE salariess and are seen to be collectively devoid of corporate nous, governance and intellect.

High salaries does NOT guarantee high achievers, in fact it could be argued that it attracts greedy people who never know when enough is enough.

I honestly cannot see how 2fm in its current form has any public service role at all. It’s a commercial pop station.

If RTE had operated it as a PSB music station with a really strong role in being totally alternative, providing a big platform for artists, having an music / discovery / educational value & all of that it would be a totally different story.

All 2fm is really is the remains of station that was launched to crush pirate (commercial) radio in the late 1970s / early 80s because RTE felt it should have a total commercial monopoly.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Irishdancer

and what salary did these two incompetents command in the HSE? 50k, 100k, 200k, 300k, 350k, 400k?

I strongly doubt what you're saying here given that HSE have to use Publicjobs.ie for ALL their employments (other than ......contractors lol!!) - its the way the public service works!

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Honorable

Doubt away. I was there. I don't know salaries

• Advertisement

The Sun says rte want RT back on air

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

The worst of that is the 2FM morning show. 3 presenters, all NKM of course. Ian Dempsey by himself brings in 50% more listeners.

If there's such a thing as gravy trains within gravy trains, 2fm is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Given that NKM practically run RTE and has a strong influence on Irish media, Tubridy will be shoe-horned in again. This is the reality when you deal with agents, its very difficult to weed out their influence.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭bureau2009

But there are issues with agents and even more issues with Noel Kelly Management.

RTE was unable or unwilling to challenge the amounts sought for presenters. It's a small country and NKM appeared to have the market wrapped up. Should this have been allowed to happen?

And we have seen the most convoluted payment system ever devised to hide payments to RT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

Im sure they do, they think RT is a "star" after all

How many on the Board of RTE got their position through an open and transparent process? Who appointed Dee Forbes and who recommended she was appointed? Was the CFO or Head of Content roles openly advertised?

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭bureau2009

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

I mostly listen to Lyric so this one caught my eye. It's hard to believe spending like this went on and no one saw anything wrong.

Wow. Read the room Paul. Housing and cost of living aside I'd keep that quite at the trough.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭saabsaab

How many people are working for RTE? I see 2,000 and up to 5,000 mentioned is it a secret?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Dee Forbes and the DG role was advertise same goes for the new guy.

Head of Content had been Head of Radio for years, purely a name change, much like Head of TV becoming Head of Channels, Audiences and Marketing (he was pretty much only involved in TV from what he said at the oireachtas), Not sure if the position was advertised I don't remember so, prior to that he was controller of RTÉ1 which was advertised. CFO came from Dunnes Stores so I assume it was openly advertised.

Bigger question as to how Francis Abeton got her role, made up from what I could gather and she left after a short period, got into trouble with property or something.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 27,667 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The counter argument would be that younger people have no interest in paying a licence fee for the news, current affairs and sport that you are interested in.

There is a debate out there around what is public service broadcasting and what is covered. Does it only step in when the market has failed? Or should it offer something for everyone? Is it highbrow or popular or both? Should it get involved in bidding for sports events? Different people have different views.

What annoys me RTÉ couldn't have shutdown LyricFM, they might be able to move it from Limerick but to shut it down. and they cut funding to Lyric FM after they got funding to retain it in Limerick. And I have a letter of excuse from them on that also.

______

Yesterday

Yeah I think RTÉ has to be quite wide. I never liked the whole oh but your sports coverage is wonderful and so is your news coverage. I mean the rest of their programming is ****.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Beefcake82

I have tried listening to her and Doireann Garrihy, and find both obnoxious and void of any ability to retain my attention. It seems a lot of "talent" are hired because of instagram/twitter followers these days. Lotti is not a scratch on Gerry, he was very engaging and interactive back in the day and enjoyed his shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Karppi

Niamh Tyndall, NKM's MD, who RT ordered a chauffeur driven car for, has a "background in events and below the line marketing".

This post is not off topic. Its thematically correct.

I finished the 3 part documentary series on HBO called “Low Country” The Murdaugh Dynasty last night. It tells the interesting story of Alex Murdaugh. I’d recommend it over the Netflix 4 part version unless you plan to watch both like my very good self.

In part 3 it was clear that he couldn’t embezzle the $10 million over a period of years and 50 or 60 clients without an prevalent culture and certain shared value system at the top. Alec could not achieved the theft in a vacuum on his own.

In the documentary they called it “the old Boys network” or something akin to “jobs for the boys” here. It was interesting how this culture is not a phenomina but a constant like Pi as I have said before. Us and them - as the word “talent” implies a divide and tier system.

The Murdaugh family had a grip on that county they presided in as lawyers for nearly 100 years. They were feared. FF have been in power for about 100 years have they?

Discounting the murders the attributes and similarities between these two stories are similar here.

One to note is all the people he stole from as clients were predominately poor people who were unfortunate enough to get into accidents. Peasants, useless eaters or mouth breeders from his point of view.

Another is he could go into a local bank and skip standard protocols for loan application etc. that normal people sweat about. The rules are for thee and not for me culture. We definitely live in a two tier society in the west. We are not all created or treated equally.

After I finished the 3 parter I had another binding thought. Last Wednesday a fat inarticulate politician had a very interesting point but terrible unfocused delivery in the Oireachtas. In a nutshell he referred to a RTE scandal from 2001/2 with a news paper of said time in his hand I recall. His point was nothing had changed in 20 years since the last RTE financial scandal. Ironically this valid tent pole point which he attached to 2023 was also a reflection on the indifferent shitehawk politicians too; the f**king dope. They all let it to continue happen knowingly or not.

Also note the indifference of not supplying the PAC with required information asked of RTE last April. This was brought up last Thursday I remember. RTE didn't flinch. Could not give a bollox. Does the PAC have teeth? All bark and no bite perhaps?

One might start to believe they are all in bed together and this is merely theatrics and deception performed on a stage before the cameras and microphones to satiate and distract an angry public.

Thanks for reading.

What does it say about lyric. Won't open for me. Do you have to log in to read twitter?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Who in their right mind watches Fair City. What are the viewership figures?

Paul Brennan on 4,500 per week. 🤣

Serious about restructuring - Kill him off. Maybe a stray nuke from Vlad can drop on Carraigstown. It would be a topical end anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

And there’s the Rte concert orchestra awell. What the figures for them I wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

He took Rte to court recently over his contract. Big money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Imelda Munster tells the Dáíl that the time RTÉ was considering shutting down Lyric FM, the broadcaster also brought a group of around 70 to the K Club for golf dinner and drinks, with goodie bags given out. She says this was paid for through the barter account. 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

One of the persons appointed to investigate the work culture at RTE is a former Member of RTE management. Conflict of interest?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement