Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

Ryan’s currently reading this gorgeous and intriguing book. Full of intrigue and handy tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭StevenToast

This is a quote from Tubridy in 2019 talking about paycuts.

So, after coming out publicly saying that he will continue to put himself forward for cuts, if required...he then enters into discussions with Dee Forbes to ensure and GUARANTEE that he wont get cut for 5 years!!!

Bear in mind, that Covid has just hit, the whole country is in lockdown, most of the population are uncertain of what the future looks like for them financially.

At the same time, Tubridy leads the charge, preaching sermons every Friday night urging solidarity etc......

Tubridy is an utter fraud and is a borderline scumbag for this behaviour.......

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Tubs gets all the blame for the misery slots & specials etc. but wonder how much it's down to producers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

If I were him I would tell absolutely everything I know in a frank and honest statement. He has become the new scapegoat in all of this. The Coveney fella has hardly said a word since the enquiry began and happily sat there keeping schtum whilst a question was asked about more barter accounts.

His position is already untenable so he should request to go on gardening leave until the enquiry is over. It might be demoralising to realise that you weren’t up for the job but I’d be damn angry if that’s why I was chosen for the role.

I have to go back to the current CFO bringing barter account No1 into the main RTÉ finance department and why, if he knew of the shady dealings, would he have done that.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,426 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

100 Percent they’re still trying to cover up - leaking things late so there’s no opportunity to digest figures or find the cover ups

• Registered Users Posts: 11,007 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Ryan has nowhere to run now - found out. End of.

Other very notable info to arise is that 70% of the top 100 earners in RTE are not the 'talent' but in fact in management and running the place. Plenty more squirming to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭RayCon

Great post. I've worked with many CFO's and they'd know if I ordered a box of pens. This guy is a joke. I'd also wonder if RTE have a set of Business Conduct Guidelines that are mandatory for each employee to read and confirm they understand annually. Breach of said guidelines is grounds for dismissal. If they do ... there's going to be a lot of sackings. If they don't, I'm not surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Shelga

It’s actually unbelievable, isn’t it. It’s sociopathic behaviour.

Am reading now about Doireann Garrihy’s endless commercial side deals. Would love to know how much she takes home on top of her reported €150k RTÉ salary.

Influencers who flog anything in sight for money are just… distasteful. When you’re already on a massive wedge. It’s such vapid, meaningless work and they get paid a fortune for it, while the rest of us stress about energy bills, extortionate childcare costs, mortgages, all the rest of it.

Never mind the clear potential conflicts of interest in this type of thing, while working for the national broadcaster. It’s all just so grubby. They’re all so effing greedy. Greedy little pigs around the trough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

There’s sick manipulation, double speak in there too. ‘I won’t be found wanting.’ Knowing full well he wasn’t taking any pay cuts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Tuttle Productions CO/ CMS marketing another Noel Kelly enterprise where he is CEO.

They have done campaigns for Cheltenham with Paddy Power - wasn't there an RTE employee promoting Cheltenham which was confusing as it's in another jurisdiction?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

There was. And the horse racing regulator is on leave the last week amid financial irregularities.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Been away from this thread for several days so maybe it was covered already, but I read there was a survey over the weekend where most asked didn't seem to hold Tubridy himself responsible for the mess, but rather RTE management themselves (this was before yesterday/today's revelations of course).

What struck me about it was the similarities to our political system - complain about the Government but keep electing/supporting the same TDs time after time. It's no wonder a culture of unaccountability and "whatever we feel like doing" exists in both Government and RTE.

And why is it that most weren't blaming Ryan? I suspect for much the same reasons as why they don't blame politicians who get embroiled in a scandal - they know that if given the same chance, they'd do exactly the same things themselves.

Until that changes, nothing else will!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭screamer

Tut Tut le productions star cRyan Tubridy

that letter from Dee Forbes guaranteeing the salary and dated April 1st, yes indeed, fools they take us for

• Registered Users Posts: 29,332 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The poll was spun that way by those with a certain agenda but it is misleading.

The poll question was asked: "Who do you most blame". And the poll majority was RTE board.

So Tubridy defenders falsely spun that as Tubridy not to blame.

Totally misleading.

75% in same poll said Tubridy should have queried the figures.

47% said he should never return to RTE. With 20% dont know or dont care.

Of course we all know now that Tubridy well know his salary was inflated, based on the letter from Dee Forbes to him.

So if the poll was re-run and question asked does Tubridy share in the blame, I think we would see very different figures to above.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I presume a load more stuff will be released around midday so the committee hasn’t a hope of going through it

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I certainly hope so. It would be interesting to see the results of another poll this or next weekend.

As part of the Renault \ RTE under the counter deal to squirrel €25,000 to Tubridy... RTE had to cover these costs.

One of the Twitter comments says they hope Renault HQ are paying attention to what is going on.

• RTE to cover costs of set build, event management and finger food for 100

• Recreate a Late Late Show setup - three guests and a local upcoming band

• RTE and NK Management to help book guests

• Renault brand ambassadors as surprise guests

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1676352873540595712

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

• Registered Users Posts: 6,025 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I'm puzzled about the whole Renault involvement. Why did they choose Renault? It is long past Bill Cullen's time so there presumably was no loyalty or link there (I'm guessing!). Did someone in RTE just phone up Renault Ireland and say "here's a mad idea..."? Did Renault Ireland not think, this is completely dodgy and we'd be better off staying away from it? Were other companies approached and if so, who?

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Bulmers

borderline scumbag - according to dictionary - Britannica Dictionary definition of SCUMBAG. [count] slang. : a dishonest, unkind, or unpleasant person.

he fits the official definition of the word anyway.

I think it was because Renault were the sponsors of the LLS.

And it appears RTE were funding all these shenanigans for Tubridy's benefit by reducing the value of the LLS sponshorship.

They had to spend all this extra money running events, merely as cover to funnel money under the table to Tubridy.

https://www.rte.ie/news/primetime/2023/0628/1391642-rte-covered-cost-of-staging-tubridy-hosted-renault-events/

• see then there’s another two barter accounts.. i imagine the government must be naming the puppies they had after it was discovered last night, about now.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

What are talking about? Ireland has lots of home-grown government funded NGOS.

Lots and lots.

I think you're a little confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭StevenToast

BOX OFFICE!

This will be the first time i will actually want to hear from tubridy!

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭batman75

It seems that Tubridy and Kelly have belatedly offered to co-operate with the Oireachtas committee in a letter sent in. It's the least they can do. The fact that it took them weeks suggests it's an effort to save face to some extent and not some honourable intention to respect our parliament which is investigating RTE.

No matter what Tubridy says he is toast in the eyes of the public. I thought Nicola Tallant's Crimeworld program was extremely kind to Tubridy. Maybe for fear of libel or as he too is in the media. Hard to know why. He deserves a right good kicking. He has shown Prince Andrew levels of lack of self awareness and I didn't think that was possible again.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,488 ✭✭✭✭walshb

RT and NK both have volunteered to appear before PAC

• Registered Users Posts: 18,432 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

It is a very transparent ploy to make sure they do not have to appear in person or to answer any questions publicly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

It's hard to walk away from a €200k+ job, especially in the knowledge that you might find it difficult to get a new job due to.............reasons.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement